What's new

Hot vs Cold Preparations

Calvincs

Kava Curious
Ive read about a lot of people using cold, luke warm or room temperature, to pretty hot temperature water when extracting Kava.

I typically use a mix of 1 part Almond Coconut milk to 1 part cold water, add kava (blend for a few minutes), then strain and kneed for 5 minutes. Drink.

Will using a warmer liquid change the potency of my Kava?Does it really matter?

I also want to try mixing my Almond Coconut milk and water with the Kava over night, and straining the next day with a light kneed and see how that works out.

Honestly just want to know whats best practice vs personal preference.

I also pretty much use Kava powdered roots, and they tend to be pretty fine course (if that matters)..

Vekta

Notorious Lightweight
Review Maestro
I've read a few posts supporting the idea that using warmer liquid helps. I don't know how much it does or doesn't. I just use regular ol'room temperature water or crack open a cold bottle of spring water.

krunkedout

Kava Lover
Yes warmer water will help but it will most likely make your brew taste horrid. I usually just account for using room temp water by soaking it for an hour or two and kneading for aprox 15 min

kl.pjim

Kava Curious
Krunkedout said:
Yes warmer water will help but it will most likely make your brew taste horrid. I usually just account for using room temp water by soaking it for an hour or two and kneading for aprox 15 min
Is that why my brew always tastes so bad?  Oh, wait, this is kava...

I try to get like a body temperature water out of the tap.  I find that I knead vigourously (no blending) for about 5 minutes and at that point all the oiliness feels like it's out of the root.  Does kneading longer really help all that much?

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
I think warm water really helps you get more out, quickly. Room temp. usually seems fine...and I've noticed when I use the blender method it warms up on its own in there. I've used cold water and could really feel the constriction when squeezing. I think I mentioned this on the forum before, but, I went to an 'awa bar in hawai'i about 10 yrs ago and they were brewing it in water hot enough to require dishwashing gloves.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I usually use 120 degree water when I'm making my kava. Kavalactones are lipids which dissolve more easily in hot water. I know that Nakava In Boca Raton, FL (Nakamal @ Home's Kava bar) uses hot water for their extractions. Yes, it makes your resulting liquid taste pretty bad, but I can honestly say kava isn't a flavor of pie I'd go out and order, so I expect it to taste horrible at best. The increase in bitter taste I think can be attributed directly to an increase in kavalactones. It follows the general logic that the stronger a kava product is, generally the more disgusting it tastes. Taste for me is usually directly proportional to the strength. I'm no organic chemist, but this just makes sense. I think of butter. Stays solid in the fridge, melts in the frying pan.

Calvincs

Kava Curious
Makes sense to me as well. I will try a warm to mild brew and cool it down in the fridge before consumption, let you guys know if I notice a difference. 

One of my concerns was the break down of the active components in Kava due to the heat, but if your getting more out in general, it may not matter.

Thanks everyone!

krunkedout

Kava Lover
calvincs said:
Makes sense to me as well. I will try a warm to mild brew and cool it down in the fridge before consumption, let you guys know if I notice a difference.

One of my concerns was the break down of the active components in Kava due to the heat, but if your getting more out in general, it may not matter.

Thanks everyone!
I believe kavalactone degradation at boiling is something like 5% over 5 min, yet it increases extraction by 15 percent so it would still be 10% more efficient