What's new

Getting punished for protecting the community

Status
Not open for further replies.

infraredz

BULA!
http://blogs.browardpalmbeach.com/pulp/2013/09/kava_world_has_new_concerns_et.php

How twisted is this? Someone comes out with recommendations and data to try to help protect the kava community and he gets crap from kava bar owners!?

That's not a good sign for the state of (some) kava bars and the potential for outside scrutiny. Would messages to kava bars 'backing up' our friend help the situation?

The last thing we need is something coming out that kava bars are serving toxic kava to people. Imagine the sensationalism that would come out of that story... :rolleyes:

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
A little disturbing to say the least. I get the impression that they are not clearly labelling the kava as tudei. If you choose to drink it knowing the risk that's one thing, but just serving them up without appreciation for the difference is pretty slimy.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Also confused about the mention of that thread on that other forum, which I will not mention out of deference to the sources wish to remain anonymous, since that forum does not as far as I know have any Florida kava suppliers on it.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I personally would like to know which certain part of the south Florida kava community is angry about these findings. There are several kava establishments there. One of them....just by looking at the facebook pictures makes me nervous.

infraredz

BULA!
Well, various companies we know all know supply root to kava bars for wholesale purchases. I think that's all I'll say about that.

I'm guessing that since that is a highly visible site, there were Florida kava bar owners/operators who saw the info reported in the article. Who knows the extent of how and what the "static" was, hopefully it wasn't bad. Any information to help protect the kava community shouldn't be criticized by anyone, let alone those in the same industry.

Andrew Procyk

Noble Kava
Kava Vendor
While I do not want to get in the midst of naming names, it is hard not to tell who is who because of the smalnes of the community... but....

I have just heard that there is a SFL kava bar that is experiencing litigation because they serve drinks that contain more than kava, and there was a fellow at one with his wife who thought they were drinking kava, and they got more than they bargained for.

Does anyone happen to know any more details about this situation? Would love to hear the nitty gritty. Sort of sad actually, as it can reflect on everyone - but you can't put stuff in drinks without people knowing. (Well, unless it is a roofie, but that is another story...)

(Yes, of course I am TOTALLY kidding about the roofie!)

Cheers!
Iahi

infraredz

BULA!
Wow, that is truly evil. As someone in recovery, I know of others who drink kava specifically because it's not mind-altering and having a shot of K@, Alcohol, etc could literally throw someone into a complete relapse.

I actually am sort of relieved that their is litigation, and that's coming from someone who is fairly libertarian when it comes to that specific topic.

Andrew Procyk

Noble Kava
Kava Vendor
Frankly, I would argue that kava is indeed mind altering. (If it wasn't, I would frankly not be interested in it.) As per "relapse" - that is a rather slippery slope to discuss. (Given the DSM does not consider mere use a "relapse.") Libertarian or not, I'm sure you are against coercion or doing something to someone's body without them knowing - and that is apparently the exact nature of the complaint that the litigant had against the particular bar that they drank at. Frankly, I warned the place repeatedly that they should list the ingredients on the menu. Oh well... no matter how much my intention is to help... nobody ever listens to Andrew! ;-)

All the best!
~Iahi (Andrew)

Paradise Kava

Honolulu, HI
Kava Vendor
Not into "He said, She said" but I have heard nothing but bad stuff about what's happening in SFL regarding Kava.
This too from TWO separate Kava bar owners in different states.

Self regulation wins hands down and looks like they are not seeing the bigger picture.
It will hurt the industry as a whole, if Heavy Handed Fed. regulation is imposed on Kava as a whole.

A.G

Status
Not open for further replies.