What's new

Extra Strength Extract Review (250mg / gram)

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I received the extract sample on the 15th, Saturday. I'm posting up pictures here before I give it a thorough review mid-week. I'm waiting until Wednesday or Thursday so I can give it a review based on all the factors of quality I look for in a kava.  The calming effect should be most notable as I'm most stressed out around Wednesday or Thursday due to work. 

It arrived as all of paradise's extracts arrive. Cleanly packed in a bubble mailer with obligatory instruction sheet. I feel that this sheet may be a bit off due to the nature of what I'm reviewing. Anyways I'm excited about it, so on to the pictures of the extract.

5 gram sample container with a adhesive foil seal. I can see the extract has separated with the kavalactones on top and the solids on the bottom. You can see this in the container in the above picture but below you'll see the pure kavalactones on the top.

Pure, pure, sweet kavalactones. It's beautifully shiny! I licked some of the foil that had a slight bit of yellow oil on it, and my mouth went completely numb. I can only imagine the fire this will be when I try it full out. 1/4 by weight is pure kavalactones which correlates perfectly to the amount of pure smooth yellow oil at the top being 1/4 the total product.
I'll be adding to this review mid week. I'll probably eat about half of the sample at around 10:30 PM Wednesday or Thursday night. If anyone wants me to include any specifics, or images, please add the requests here.
PS - Due to Adil, and Paradise Kava so graciously donating this sample to me I have purchased 3 months of no adds for this site. (Honestly I was tired of seeing those damn kona adds too so I figured one good gesture deserves another)

Vekta

Notorious Lightweight
Review Maestro
Whoa that looks wicked. It looks like liquid gold...sticky sweet....liquid gold...

kavalover

Outsider
Adds? I've had add blocker installed on my firefox and chrome browsers for years haha... I guess that's why I never noticed adds... But that's awesome man. Yeah, that's the last thing we need, a redirect to kona kava from here! I'd be happy to buy the next 3 months as well.

That stuff looks awesome! I can't wait to give it a shot

kl.CarolinaBC

Kava Enthusiast
I'm looking forward to getting some of this myself.  Should be quite excellent especially with cooler weather coming so I can stow some in the car for road rage mental repairs.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
All I can say is that this...this is the one right here.The texture: Very much like wax. Very very smooth. The strange thing is that apparently the top layer did not conduct heat. The extract was the same temperature as the room and it had been in the refrigerator since Saturday. This was odd to me. I washed the spoon off that I dipped into the container and had to really rub it to get the extract off. Oily is very accurate after it hits hot water.Taste: Mild after your mouth completely numbs up and your taste buds no longer have feeling. Initially very strong as would totally be expected for an extra strength extract. Tasted like.....wait for it...Kava.Effects: The all important effects. This extract is in a class of its own. You could eat twice as much regular strength extract and get the same effects...but why? Very familiar calm I get from kava. Very clear headed. You can tell I just put my spoon into a jar of nearly pure kavain. I would go as far as to speculate that there was very little dhm or dhk at all as it was more of an uplifting effect. Mostly cerebral nothing like the heavy ISA feelings where you forget where your center of gravity is. Overall Opinion: Would buy. Good stuff. Strong, yet not overpowering. Very much the same as the extract, but only....more awesomer. Hope they release it soon!

Paradise Kava

Honolulu, HI
Kava Vendor
Aloha!

Great Review!

Did the waxy character bother you? Would you have liked any flavor in there like Peppermint etc?

Also, does it bother you to keep stirring the kava each time you need a dose (and this HAS to be done unless we introduce fillers and binders like gums)

Trying to avoid that of course.

Finally, it's double the strength of our regular extract (120mg to 250mg jump) and we intend to produce only 99 Jars in our "Limited Release Series" for 2012.

Next year, the Limited Release may be something different and unique.

The intention is to release something very special for our existing customers and price is extremely well. This is not geared towards Newbies.

Single size - 30grams for $59 per jar.

What do you guys think?

Purchasing ads for us? Thanks! Not sure what you are referring to but thanks Kapm!

Cheers!

A.G

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I'll take 4 jars! At the top of the forum you can contribute which takes the ads away for a certain amount of time like $6 for a month. Every time I visited here google decided I needed to see the ads for kona kava. Anyone can contribute. It keeps everyone from being bombarded with ads. But seriously, I'll take 4.  
The waxy texture did not bother me, however it did take a while to totally dissolve under my tongue. Again, not an issue for me, and I totally agree with the peppermint flavor. I think it would definitely compliment the texture and the flavor.

Edit: Spelling

Paradise Kava

Honolulu, HI
Kava Vendor
Peppermint version is better Kapm.

We'll do out best to release this soon and that could mean any length of time, given our history of taking forever to release something, but we will never release a product that we will not use ourselves if it does not sell :)
If we don't sell it, we use it!

Tell us if you'd want a 30g jar in this post and encourage us to get this project rolling!

mos3z

Kava Enthusiast
Hey Adil, this is Jon H.

Is this the sugar free extract version I was asking you to make?

I'm so excited to try it!

Paradise Kava

Honolulu, HI
Kava Vendor
Ladies and Gentlemen! This man, Jon H, is responsible for the Limited Release of 2012 to be the Double+ Strength Extract.

It was going to be the Coconut Vanilla but he kept emailing us every day for a month straight (ok not that much) asking "is it ready? IS IT READY???"

lol!

Jon, we'll try our best to not disappoint you.

If I remember correctly, you are allergic to Soy, correct?

Like all of our products in 2013, This product will be:

Soy Free

Dairy Free

Solvent Residue Free

Pesticide and Herbicide Free

If anyone is afraid we will run out (and we hope to run out pretty quickly since there is a local market which will scoop a portion up, not to mention the website itself) RESERVE YOUR JAR on this post.

Heads up, it will most likely have a slight peppermint flavor for added balance.

Mahalo!

A.G

mos3z

Kava Enthusiast
Haha! Glad I could help.

I'm pretty new to this forum so now the guys know me :)

How many servings do you think per jar?

Yeah I need dairy free and sugar free, peppermint sounds good.

I'll take 2-3 jars.

Let me know if u need any other beta testers lol

I'd be happy to write up a review on here. :)

Thanks adil!

Paradise Kava

Honolulu, HI
Kava Vendor
Welcome to the Forum Jon, some great Kava Heads live here :)

How many servings per 30g jar (there is only one size scheduled and only 99 jars of this size)

It's normally 1g per dose (when it's 120mg per gram of extract for our standard line - which a good portion of the population find strong)

So at 250mg per gram, it's going to be a smaller portion, to say the least.

This Limited Release is set to be around 250mg, not not more.

It's really something designed for travel, offices and other stressful situations. Most of all, it's designed for existing kava lovers, not Newbies.

And finally, it's our way of saying "Mahalo" to our friends, community members here at Yuku and on our Facebook page, and just maybe the website (we are not sure if there will be enough stock to put up on the website)

Good job reserving your share here, since there are only about 80 something jars left as of right now.

Aloha Jon!

A.G

kl.exumc

Ill take a jar! I would really love to sample it first to see if im going to need to buy more than 1. Keep up the good work with your products!

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I just did a test with the extra strength extract. Just wanted to see if it was as effective as medical topical analgesics. 

I used the end of a cut cotton swab and dabbed a tiny bit of extract on the center of my tongue. I let the numbness go away and tried the same test with a new swab with 2% lidocaine solution. The kava is was more effective in numbing than the lidocaine. This extract is serious business. 
*edit: in case you're wondering it was a topical 2% lidocaine solution used for strep throat.

Paradise Kava

Honolulu, HI
Kava Vendor
Wow! Maybe we should try a trial run with a little less strength?

It's debatable if people will get the full potential benefit from the lactones which are not solubilized in a fatty compound, like lecithin etc.

Either way, this run will be limited to a very small amount.

Vekta

Notorious Lightweight
Review Maestro
Noooo just put some kinda warning on it....like this...

Solved (smiley: grin)

hi there so whats all in this extract aside from the 250 mg per gram and the peppermint? also if the lactones turn out not to be fully available without the fat people can always use this as something to mix with a little lecithin or coconut milk or something. anybody know what the deal is with dissolving the extract in a small amount of alcohol? would this create better absorption? you would have to be able to use a very small amount of alcohol. and even a small amount would be a turn off for many im sure. im trying to find alternatives to lecithin and oil or milk. but am finding a hard time finding any good facts out there. heard mention of hibiscus but not much. anyways hope everyone is having a wonderful evening.

ps: id love to have 2 jars of this held for me. peas and corn.

Paradise Kava

Honolulu, HI
Kava Vendor
Actually, we will be using lecithin (soy free) for this project.

At this point we are finalizing the best way to incorporate lecithin into the recipe.