What's new

Drink Flavors. Your input.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner
Had a phone meeting with my recipe developer (yes, that's an actual profession) to talk bottled beverage. She's great at putting together flavors, but I figure getting the opinions of avid kava drinkers is a must. So, what do you think? What flavors work with the flavor of kava, and don't just cover it up?

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
I think the only flavor that works with kava, other than John Goodman's undercarriage drippings, is rootbeer or cream soda.

Pickle/vinegar, pineapple/citrus and ginger seems to cut and cover, more so than compliment.

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner
I think the only flavor that works with kava, other than John Goodman's undercarriage drippings, is rootbeer or cream soda.

Pickle/vinegar, pineapple/citrus and ginger seems to cut and cover, more so than compliment.
Interesting... I never considered root beer.

I had a mixed kava drink at the kava bar in Brooklyn that had chocolate and roibos. That combo was surprisingly good.

theGrogfather

Sipping on Waka juice. Laid back
I feel like chocolate, as long as it wasn't too sweet, would be nice.
A nutty taste like hazelnut would pair well I think.
Those that mix their kava with coconut water will definitely say it pairs well too.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I ate basil/pineapple gelato once and thought to myself that it would be pretty effective at covering up the taste of kava. The bite of the basil and the citrus from the pineapple really work well together

Jerome

Kava Lover
I love mixing my micro with coconut milk and drinking it on the way to work. Coconut milk and a touch of turmeric. Its not for everyone, but I really enjoy the earthiness. The coconut milk has the added bonus of having a tremendous amount of fat calories, so I stay nice and full till a late afternoon lunch.

It seems obvious though, you got to have a coconut flavored kava drink. I'd say if you stick with tropical flavors, it will pair the most naturally. Ginger, coconut, lemon grass, mango and guanabana. Actually now that I think of it, guanabana would be awesome!

mdmace

Kava Curious
I wonder if you made something like Yoo-hoo, which I remember growing up. They've started making it again.
http://www.yoo-hoo.com/
I've been lurking in the forums for a while now as a new patron of kava, and I find mixing it with coconut almond chocolate milk quite tasty.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Pineapple/coconut, apple, rum raisin, Citrus blend & unfiltered ginger. I only tried chasing kava with unfiltered ginger ale and it's awesome! All the other flavors would be cool.

Mr. Kava

Kava Enthusiast
Kava mixed with chai tirani syrup is decent.
Root of Happinness likes to mix this up for first timers.

Pina Colada kava drinks are pretty good too.

ThePiper

Kava Lover
I was thinking ginger is a must, with tummy bonuses. I have always thought some kava has a hint of creaminess to it so it might match up with a marshmallow or cream soda flavor

D

Deleted User01

I used to make Kava Kocktails with either Instant or Micronized Kava. I would put in 2 tablespoons of kava in some ginger ale and stir real good. Then dump ice, lime juice and more ginger ale in the glass. Keep a spoon handy to stir and enjoy it by the pool/patio. Don't use a clear glass because the color sucks.

Jana

Kava Enthusiast
Ovaltine. I don't mix the two, but I don't really taste anything if I mix a nice amount of rich tasting Ovaltine into a glass of cold milk. I take a sip, then drink a little of the Kava, and then cleanse my palette with another few sips of Ovaltine. Plus, you get some pretty cool nutritional benefits from the Ovaltine, too.

http://www.ovaltine.co.uk/nutritional-information/

For someone who doesn't get a lot of food in, I love protein shakes and other drinkable meal substitutes. :D
Though ginger hasn't really worked for me and I'm not sure why. I have heard that drinking bottled ginger ale like Canada Dry isn't really made with ginger, or that there isn't enough in it to really tell. I took a little sprinkle of real powdered ginger on the palm of my hand and licked it up, and then swished it around in my mouth with some water, and that actually provided more relief than the carbonated Canada Dry I was drinking. I've never been that great with sodas though either, so anything carbonated tends not to agree with me.

D

Deleted User01

@Jana, maybe we should be adding some ginger to that ginger ale? Perhaps muddle some ginger root in the bottom of the glass before adding the Kava?

Jana

Kava Enthusiast
Huh. I'm not sure I've ever seen Jamaican ginger beer in any stores I've shopped at, but I wasn't really looking for it, either :p
I'll try what you and Deleted User01 suggested, sometimes what works for one person doesn't work that great for another, so I'll try and look for some ginger tea instead, I know that must be more readily available. :) You're right, too, Piper, Canada Dry does remind me more of a Sprite type beverage. It makes me wonder how different the taste of real ginger tea/ginger beer is compared to it. Only one way to find out. :D

ThePiper

Kava Lover
Ok this will be my last digression, but you can make ginger tea by cutting fresh ginger into small slices and simmering for a few minutes. That's cheaper than tea bags. Jamiacan ginger beer can be found at health food stores and fancy places like wholefoods, but sometimes will show up in gas stations or grocery stores. The brand I see everywhere is called Reeds and has has palm trees on the label.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Ok this will be my last digression, but you can make ginger tea by cutting fresh ginger into small slices and simmering for a few minutes. That's cheaper than tea bags. Jamiacan ginger beer can be found at health food stores and fancy places like wholefoods, but sometimes will show up in gas stations or grocery stores. The brand I see everywhere is called Reeds and has has palm trees on the label.
They are also sold at Trader Joe's, not sure if they are available nationwide, I love Jamaican Ginger Ale, or ginger beer. Bruce Cost is another great brand.

Status
Not open for further replies.