What's new

Do NOT Do This!

wormwood

Kava Enthusiast
Well guys, yesterday I drank a batch that had been sitting out for 5 days and everything went fine. Not recommending it, just an fyi

tribal1209

Kava Enthusiast
I recommend anyone follow standard food safety rules once you make yourselves some Kava. Once mixed with water it becomes an actual time controlled food product with all it needs to harvest the growth of bacteria and other nasty things.

Don't let it set out for over 4 hours not refrigerated.

Kava_Joe

Kava Curious
ThePiper,
Cactus Kava Loa Lowena is Good and is from Fiji. I haven't had any stomach problems yet. Nice price too

TidyMinion

Kava Padawan
been in situations where cold kava isn't an option and it stays in a warm car for a few hours but it's not pleasurable for sure. def just medicine at that point. just the smell alone from a bag of root left out more than 24 hrs makes me queasy. gotta keep mine refrigerated at least. I like to put my leftover root in a ziploc bag in the freezer until it's full then make a booster batch on the stove. tastes strong but add it to fresh grog and it's alright. trying to make the most of my root.

i will say though that the smell of old root is maybe a good experience to have so you know when you get bad root from a purchase. happened 1 time i got some moldy or not dry enough root from a purchase and it had that pungent sweetness going on. wont say which vendor pretty sure that was a one off and i've been really enjoying their kava of late. drank it with no problem but it was almost like incense or something.

I'll 2nd, 3rd Cactus' strainer bag that's my go to and I use them forever. also a big fan of Aluball now finally picked one up.

schatz

itchin for kava
I also have bee using the Alubal alot the last six months. When I do traditional I use the Wakacon strainer and then rinse with hose out on the grass right after I make up a batch and the let it dry on paper towel on counter overnight. I am on a septic system so I dont want a load of floating makas down there and my grass loves it.

Hill60

Kava Curious
I make my kava in a bowl with a lid, I usually drink about half then refrigerate for the next day.

I store ground root in the freezer in ziplock bags.

I found some kava I'd forgotten about after a couple of years, it had sat at room temperature and smelled and tasted like old paint or turps, pretty horrible but it still worked.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk