What's new

Kava Preparation DIY Kava Capsules

MizMizuki

Kava Curious
Hi. I have been a member for a while, but more of reader than poster. But thought my quick and easy go to cap method might help your friend out. Don't get me wrong, I really do prefer the traditional grog method, but probably use this capsule method listed below maybe once or twice a month with great results ...

For those interested in capping... This makes a great on the go experience for those that don't have the patience to make grog or want something quick & easy for later.

For me, the biggest hindrance in making caps from powdered root the fact that the kavalactones aren't 'kneaded' out. Sure you can rely on your digestive tract to extract them via TnW. But when combined with a fatty substance that aids in digestion and meets up with the kava at the moment the caps dissolve... MAGIC.

What you need is

Capsule Machine and 00 caps

Noble Kava Kava Root Powder*

Black Seed Oil*

★ Small Eyedropper (comes with one the medium sizes of Blackseed Oil)

* These links above are just to the vendor I personally use for this method, which is not currently on the approved list here. I'm sure one of the approved vendor's products would work just as well.

Steps ↓

❶ Place the caps in machine (follow directions that come with the machine).

❷ Using a small eyedropper, place one drop of the Blackseed Oil in the small caps. Then place two drops in the larger caps.

❸ Pack the Kava in the caps over top of the oil on both sides. On the smaller side, make sure to only pack enough (about half way) to solidify the liquid from the oil. Pack the larger side fully (may require pressing and adding more Kava 4-5x.

❹ Carefully place the capsules together using the machine.
. ↳ The finished product should look like the pic below.

❺ Take the amount of capsules that weigh out to your desired strength. I would recommend, 8-12 if you're new to kava.

❻ Place the leftovers (or all if you aren't taking now) in a small sandwich bag as air tight as possible. Refrigerate till ready to use. This keeps the kava fresh and also prevents the blackseed oil from dissolving the capsules. Make sure to burn any leftovers within 48 hours (I wouldn't know how sanitary it would be to take after that).

The onset of the effects usually takes about 15-20mins till onset. Once it does, it comes pretty strong. Very relaxing and euphoric. I highly recommend it, just not that often bc of the digestive issues it can cause if done in excess. You will notice however, that the black seed oil will definitely aid with the digestion process. Thus, giving you far less GI issues the following day compared to without.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MizMizuki

Kava Curious
@MizMizuki - Welcome to the Forums, and great write-up on the capsules!

A question: Why Blackseed oil? Soy lecithin will extract kavalactones very effectively, it keeps at room temp, and it won't degrade capsules.

I have actually tried that and it definitely gets the job done. However, I find that blackseed oil works best for me bc I still get the great effects minus the digestive issues that can quickly appear via TnW. Even using the traditional methods, I definitely have to strain (i use Silk mostly for grog). Otherwise, it will leave me bloated and cramped the following day.

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
Hi @MizMizuki,

I liked your post so much I wanted to put in The Kavapedia. It can only be in The Kavapedia if it's the 1st post of a thread. So I took the liberty to create a new thread with your post.

I had to give it a name, so I just made up one. But you can change it to anything you like, by editing the threads title.

Great Job. Like you say, you don't post often, but when you do it's:

awesome-smiley.gif

TidyMinion

Kava Padawan
I might try doing this with micronized kava as this tends to give me much less GI issues even with T&W. I was surprised to see Black seed oil mentioned I actually have a bottle of that sitting in a cabinet so that's going up to the top of the experiment list. Just have to find some caps but I guess I could dump some old supplements i'm not really using much for the caps. Well Done!

MizMizuki

Kava Curious
Hi @MizMizuki,

I liked your post so much I wanted to put in The Kavapedia. It can only be in The Kavapedia if it's the 1st post of a thread. So I took the liberty to create a new thread with your post.

I had to give it a name, so I just made up one. But you can change it to anything you like, by editing the threads title.

Great Job. Like you say, you don't post often, but when you do it's:

View attachment 956

Lol thanks. DIY works for me. Thanks again.

Last edited:

MizMizuki

Kava Curious
I might try doing this with micronized kava as this tends to give me much less GI issues even with T&W. I was surprised to see Black seed oil mentioned I actually have a bottle of that sitting in a cabinet so that's going up to the top of the experiment list. Just have to find some caps but I guess I could dump some old supplements i'm not really using much for the caps. Well Done!
Nice! LMK how it goes. Interested in seeing if this helps with GI issues for more ppl than just myself.

gamba66

@MizMizuki I tried your method and here are my results:

Before I read about it I bought size 000 capsules, they fit about 1.3gram instant kava, which I specifically bought for this application. After I stumbled upon your tutorial I got blackseed oil with the dropper and use the exact amounts you mentioned (1 in the top cap, 2 in the lower cap) and it tremendously improved their effectiveness.

I also got soya lecithine which has the advantage of being solid but I haven't tried it yet in the capsules. Thanks so much for this tutorial. The only difference in my method is the larger capsule size 000 and that I use instant kava. I presume you used micronized?

5 capsules and I get a great effect already. 6 and it is even a little too intense for me. But this only works on a completely empty stomach. I have tried several times with eating a little before but it great limits the effect.