What's new

Dermopathy, and it's disappearance.

Monkava'd

A spoonful of sugar makes the Awa' go down.
I concur with @violet btw -- drinking makas sucks terribly. (I'm not particularly fond of micronized for a variety of reasons, but at least the immediate effects are enjoyable)
I know you're an avid vocalist against micronized and I've no problem with that. It's to each his own as far as I'm concerned so I'll not judge on the merits of "you should or should not consume this or that" because it'll never be my or anyone else's place to do so but I do have a couple questions out of curiosity.

First and foremost I highlighted the most pertinent points I'd like to address. I don't disagree that drinking makas sucks whether they're present in the form of med grind or micro but all of us (most?) are aware that there's a vendor which's known for the process of removing those very same makas from their micronized kava. I selected micronized within the quote because you put that statement within parentheses which to me means it's in relation to the makas correct? If so than we both know the way around that little roadblock (roaddog :p:LOL: hahaha jk @Roaddog ). ;)

What's the last micro you've consumed? When was this? The question of whether it had makas in the micro is answered by the previous questions.

I apologize if it seems like the inquisition...though I can assure you that's not my intention. Maybe it's just more agreeable with my digestive system but the particular micro kava I've been consuming contains no makas so it's obvious which micro I've been drinking (without contrasting vendors). The quality of the micro(s) are certainly gourmet, worth forking out the extra mula (my opinion) and thus far since consuming purely noble kava's from this vendor in particular I've had *no* dermopathy whatsoever; whether or not they're med grind or micronized, so that solves that little conundrum. (y)

Though regardless of the vendor I can vouch that if I drink noble kava in causation I also experience no dermopathy. Again this is subjective and I can't vouch for any other individuals but it is quite an interesting development for moi personally; not only that but it's very lovely to avoid the unpleasant "burning hand/tingling syndrome" every time I prepare a grog. :happy:

Besides all of that I respect your opinion no matter the reasoning you and kapm have for not using micro. Honestly who'm I to get disgruntled over the fact that someone chooses to do or use something in a way which differs from my own. That's the wrong side of odd..even if it's "freaky labor day weekend". :LOL:::amirite::

Last edited:

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
I don't like micronized with makas removed for a variety of reasons which I've elaborated on elsewhere. It's just not for me. I still recommend people to try it once since it's quite convenient and affordable if you like it. But toss and washing kava with makas, which I did when I was starting out a few times, is just awful and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

Monkava'd

A spoonful of sugar makes the Awa' go down.
I don't like micronized with makas removed for a variety of reasons which I've elaborated on elsewhere. It's just not for me. I still recommend people to try it once since it's quite convenient and affordable if you like it. But toss and washing kava with makas, which I did when I was starting out a few times, is just awful and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.
Tu this dei (did you get that hahaha...okay it's not that funny :unsure:) I haven't tossed and washed any med grind kava and I doubt the experience would go very well...what with tossing it back up onto my shirt and possibly my sink, toilet, and bathroom walls like an ignorant college freshman in need of some serious q&a; then proceeding to wash them. :wtf::dead::LOL:

Not to mention the gastric inflammation after that leading to more of the same outer body "toss and washing". :sick:

Med grind strained makas for me on the weekend and micro during the week is like my own little "a spoon full of sugar helps the medicine go down". (y)

Keep doing what you're doing kavadude and don't let anyone tell you you're not doing it right ::indeedsir::. :D

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Yeah just about every kava vomiting incident I've ever had can be traced to tudei, toss and wash, or in one case both ::frosty:: I know better now.

blindy107

Kava Lover
So I'm beginning to wonder if what I have is actually dermo. Does it typically turn red at times? It seems to be following a line around similar to the edge of a tank top I guess under the armpits and across the chest/neck area. Also a strip on my rib cage. It itches like hell and has only gotten worse in the last 4 days since switching to noble only and some kava candy as well. Amlactin burns like hell for a few minutes making me think it's open like a sore maybe.

Should I just stop all intake for a few days?

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
yeah, sounds like a pretty raw dermo case. Mine always starts around the arm pits and torso...if you have pieces that look irritated and raw, amlactin will burn the fuck out of it and im not sure if you should even put it on those parts or not.
dermopathy can get worse for a couple days even if you stop drinking...then it starts getting better.
in fact, i think i've made it start by stopping drinking kava for a few days sometimes

Roaddog

Kava Who?
I find that if I get it red and inflamed, I mix
spray.JPG
with a little coconut oil, and slap it on. I find it will numb the area, and the coconut oil will help it heal. I get Dermapathy pretty bad at times. This has gotten me by many times. I find if you don't itch it, it will heal. Numbing it helps in this process. Just my 2 cents worth. Much love. Roaddog....

blindy107

Kava Lover
Cool thanks guys. All I had seen on it was pics of white flaky skin. Mine must be getting irritated somehow. Probably at work. Lots of upper body movement.

I will try the bactine if it keeps itching and maybe skip the amlactin until ten clears.

violet

Do all things with love
@blindy107 Sometimes the dermopathy is just the irritated type without you having to do anything to it. I've had it raw and nearly bleeding in different places on my torso and neck, always the worst around my armpits. Definitely skip the Amlactin, if you put it on the raw places you will "time travel," as Kap'm has expressed. The amlactin will only irritate it further, I found trying to use amlactin on irritated dermo made it take much longer to heal.

One thing I found that takes away the redness, itch, and makes healing super fast was using a prescription corticosteroid ointment, triamcinolone acetonide. It is often prescribed for things like eczema, poison ivy, and the itch of athletes foot. If you have something like that it could be very helpful for the raw dermopathy, otherwise OTC hydrocortisone could be of benefit if it's something that works for you. Vitamin C has amazing abilities to speed skin healing as well. You can take it by mouth, it works topically too. You could mix up ascorbic acid but the pH would sting like mad, there are oil soluble forms that could be used. I think the Bactine is a great idea, and coconut oil penetrates skin better than any other oil, it's great for healing too.

I think that once you get the dermo you will be susceptible to having to deal with it in the future. I hope you feel better soon and are able to work out which kava/product(s) are responsible for causing the issue in your body.

blindy107

Kava Lover
@blindy107 Sometimes the dermopathy is just the irritated type without you having to do anything to it. I've had it raw and nearly bleeding in different places on my torso and neck, always the worst around my armpits. Definitely skip the Amlactin, if you put it on the raw places you will "time travel," as Kap'm has expressed. The amlactin will only irritate it further, I found trying to use amlactin on irritated dermo made it take much longer to heal.

One thing I found that takes away the redness, itch, and makes healing super fast was using a prescription corticosteroid ointment, triamcinolone acetonide. It is often prescribed for things like eczema, poison ivy, and the itch of athletes foot. If you have something like that it could be very helpful for the raw dermopathy, otherwise OTC hydrocortisone could be of benefit if it's something that works for you. Vitamin C has amazing abilities to speed skin healing as well. You can take it by mouth, it works topically too. You could mix up ascorbic acid but the pH would sting like mad, there are oil soluble forms that could be used. I think the Bactine is a great idea, and coconut oil penetrates skin better than any other oil, it's great for healing too.

I think that once you get the dermo you will be susceptible to having to deal with it in the future. I hope you feel better soon and are able to work out which kava/product(s) are responsible for causing the issue in your body.
Thank you much violet. I had stopped the amlactin the night before due to the intense burn. Hahaha. I started using gold bond ultimate and wearing less abrasive clothes. Tonight after work it is almost showing no sign of redness! Hoorah. No itch really either. I'm gonna keep up on the gold bond I guess and let you know. I am going to assume the 2 lbs of 11 year waka in 3 weeks might be the culprit if it truly is lower nobility. I still love it though. Muahahaaa!

Maybe just my immediate response with amlactin at the first sign of dryness did me in ?

Thanks all for the speedy replies guys and gals. Love ya!

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
whenever you can put amlactin on without intense burning, it's the best choice. it heals the stuff up quick. if you get to a point where you recognize the early signs of mild dryness/flakiness starting...then you know it's time to rub down with amlactin and it will stop it.

blindy107

Kava Lover
whenever you can put amlactin on without intense burning, it's the best choice. it heals the stuff up quick. if you get to a point where you recognize the early signs of mild dryness/flakiness starting...then you know it's time to rub down with amlactin and it will stop it.
I dig it. Felt nice the first night. Then I either scratched it or had some clothing chafe and it was not fun the next time I used it. Haha! I will keep playing and let you know.

For now I have decided to fix it with treatment instead of stopping the cause. In other words, krunk on!