What's new

Kava Beverage Review Concentrate

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
The other day I received a gift basket from the Kava Bunny, full of Kalm with Kava samples.

In the basket were 2-2oz bottles of Concentrate. I was really excited because I've been wanting to try this stuff for quite awhile. And now was my chance!!

Me and wifey go out to lunch frequently. The places we go to are mostly bar and grills or sports bars, simply because that's mostly what's here on Mission Beach in SanDiego. We're close to two universities and it's a hot spot for spring break.

Anyway wifey drinks wine and I drink kava. I'm unable to (or afraid to) make my own grog and sneak into the restaurant. So what I do is order a glass of unsweetened ice tea and quietly dump two heaping teaspoons of my favorite micro or instant into the tea with four little packets of whatever sugar free sweetener the restaurant has available.

What I did, instead of my usual routine, was to order the glass of ice tea and dump a whole 2oz bottle of concentrate into the glass, stirred, then drank (with straw). Oh.... I always drink my kava on an empty stomach just before eating our lunch.

The two things that hit me right away is that it had practically "zero" kava taste to it and that it was really ultra sweet tasting. The lack of the lovely flavor of kava was very welcomed, but I'm on a low-carb (low sugar) diet and am pretty hyper-sensitive to anything sweet (with anything like bread, sauces, ketchup, etc.). But, I have to admit, the flavor was really pretty good. Kinda of a fruit punch type flavor to it. But the sweetness was overcoming even though it was mixed in with unsweetened ice tea (which has a bitter flavor to it).

After drinking my grog. I felt a little numbness in the mouth and felt a very light wave of headiness. Definitely not the same head rush I would get when using something like Mo'i. During the course of lunch I started feeling pretty relaxed but nothing really powerful. Even though the effect wasn't super strong, it was pleasant. What surprised me is how long it lasted for the amount I took. My heady kava's come on strong but leave fairly quickly (usually by time I walk home after lunch). But this stuff stayed with me until late afternoon. That was cool. This makes me feel like it's more of a medium-weak to medium strength heavy kava. I wish I could find a chemotype for this, just to verify my theory. I know it's a proprietary blend, but I'm hoping they will publish a chemotype some day.

I had one more concentrate bullet in my kava basket to use. So what I decided to try the next day when we again went out to lunch, is this time I dumped the remaining bottle of my concentrate "and" one heaping teaspoon of instant Mo'i into my glass of ice tea. The result was ::jawdrop2::. Between the bitterness of the tea and the Mo'i, it really toned down the sweetness quite a bit. But what was so amazing, I could only taste the barest hint of a kava flavor from the added Mo'i in my drink. This made it for what I would have to honestly say the absolute most pleasant kava drink I've had since starting my use of kava. ::uhhuhhz::

I received my usual instant headiness from the Mo'i (with only 1 teaspoon instead of my usual 2 tsps) and then during lunch the concentrate kicked in and made for a really pleasurable rest of the day for me (instead of the short lasting effects I normally get from my Mo'i). I have to honestly say, this may be the only way I'm drinking my daytime kava from now on. It was that good for me.

It's great that they provide nutritional information. The calorie count is great, but the carbs from sugars are a little high for my diet, but definitely not obscenely so (like you would see on something like a candy bar). I just wish more info about the kava used itself was provided, like chemotype and quantity of lactones per serving. Nothing that I would think would expose any trade secrets.

Expense wise it's a little spendy at $5/serving for me. But it's really a matter of perspective. If I go to a restaurant and order a glass of Pinot Noir, I can easily spend $7 to $12 per 12oz serving. If you factor in the cost of the teaspoon of Mo'i, it bumps up the price a little more, but still comparable to a glass of wine. If you factor in the health benefits from not drinking the wine and all the calories in it, then to me it becomes a no brainer.

BULA
::chugger::

D

Deleted User01

@HeadHodge, so you are the guy sitting in the restaurant with a silly smirk on your face. :rolleyes: I was wondering .... Great review! I like reviews that show how you use the product in everyday situations. I never would have thought to mix it with tea at a restaurant but it makes sense. Out of curiosity, what do you think your dose of kava cost compared to your Wife's glass of wine?

Kalm with Kava

Kava Vendor
The other day I received a gift basket from the Kava Bunny, full of Kalm with Kava samples.

In the basket were 2-2oz bottles of Concentrate. I was really excited because I've been wanting to try this stuff for quite awhile. And now was my chance!!

Me and wifey go out to lunch frequently. The places we go to are mostly bar and grills or sports bars, simply because that's mostly what's here on Mission Beach in SanDiego. We're close to two universities and it's a hot spot for spring break.

Anyway wifey drinks wine and I drink kava. I'm unable to (or afraid to) make my own grog and sneak into the restaurant. So what I do is order a glass of unsweetened ice tea and quietly dump two heaping teaspoons of my favorite micro or instant into the tea with four little packets of whatever sugar free sweetener the restaurant has available.

What I did, instead of my usual routine, was to order the glass of ice tea and dump a whole 2oz bottle of concentrate into the glass, stirred, then drank (with straw). Oh.... I always drink my kava on an empty stomach just before eating our lunch.

The two things that hit me right away is that it had practically "zero" kava taste to it and that it was really ultra sweet tasting. The lack of the lovely flavor of kava was very welcomed, but I'm on a low-carb (low sugar) diet and am pretty hyper-sensitive to anything sweet (with anything like bread, sauces, ketchup, etc.). But, I have to admit, the flavor was really pretty good. Kinda of a fruit punch type flavor to it. But the sweetness was overcoming even though it was mixed in with unsweetened ice tea (which has a bitter flavor to it).

After drinking my grog. I felt a little numbness in the mouth and felt a very light wave of headiness. Definitely not the same head rush I would get when using something like Mo'i. During the course of lunch I started feeling pretty relaxed but nothing really powerful. Even though the effect wasn't super strong, it was pleasant. What surprised me is how long it lasted for the amount I took. My heady kava's come on strong but leave fairly quickly (usually by time I walk home after lunch). But this stuff stayed with me until late afternoon. That was cool. This makes me feel like it's more of a medium-weak to medium strength heavy kava. I wish I could find a chemotype for this, just to verify my theory. I know it's a proprietary blend, but I'm hoping they will publish a chemotype some day.

I had one more concentrate bullet in my kava basket to use. So what I decided to try the next day when we again went out to lunch, is this time I dumped the remaining bottle of my concentrate "and" one heaping teaspoon of instant Mo'i into my glass of ice tea. The result was ::jawdrop2::. Between the bitterness of the tea and the Mo'i, it really toned down the sweetness quite a bit. But what was so amazing, I could only taste the barest hint of a kava flavor from the added Mo'i in my drink. This made it for what I would have to honestly say the absolute most pleasant kava drink I've had since starting my use of kava. ::uhhuhhz::

I received my usual instant headiness from the Mo'i (with only 1 teaspoon instead of my usual 2 tsps) and then during lunch the concentrate kicked in and made for a really pleasurable rest of the day for me (instead of the short lasting effects I normally get from my Mo'i). I have to honestly say, this may be the only way I'm drinking my daytime kava from now on. It was that good for me.

It's great that they provide nutritional information. The calorie count is great, but the carbs from sugars are a little high for my diet, but definitely not obscenely so (like you would see on something like a candy bar). I just wish more info about the kava used itself was provided, like chemotype and quantity of lactones per serving. Nothing that I would think would expose any trade secrets.

Expense wise it's a little spendy at $5/serving for me. But it's really a matter of perspective. If I go to a restaurant and order a glass of Pinot Noir, I can easily spend $7 to $12 per 12oz serving. If you factor in the cost of the teaspoon of Mo'i, it bumps up the price a little more, but still comparable to a glass of wine. If you factor in the health benefits from not drinking the wine and all the calories in it, then to me it becomes a no brainer.

BULA
::chugger::
Thanks for the great review HeadHodge!
Deleted User actually did do a chemotype on the extract used - it is on the list of his published chemotypes http://www.truekava.com/chemotype.html (Just named Kalm with Kava) - We use a large portion of Borongoru, 1 other Vanuatu kava, and 1 Fijian Kava. As for price, purchasing by the traveler size makes packaging costs a limiting factor, once you get into the larger sizes though, price drops to around 2.00-1.50/serving, pretty close per serving as any other instant. But since you're buying 50 gallon drums, we can work out a pretty sweet deal for you :)

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
@HeadHodge, so you are the guy sitting in the restaurant with a silly smirk on your face. :rolleyes: I was wondering .... Great review! I like reviews that show how you use the product in everyday situations. I never would have thought to mix it with tea at a restaurant but it makes sense. Out of curiosity, what do you think your dose of kava cost compared to your Wife's glass of wine?
Wifey bought 2 glasses of Pinot Grigio at $7 a pop (so $14 total). My glass of ice tea was $2 (with free refills). The Conentrate was $5. Don't know about a heaping teaspoon of instant Mo'i. I had bought 1lb of it, and I don't know how many teaspoons in a lb of that stuff. So I don't know.... a couple of bucks for the Mo'i??

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
...Deleted User actually did do a chemotype on the extract used - it is on the list of his published chemotypes http://www.truekava.com/chemotype.html (Just named Kalm with Kava) - We use a large portion of Borongoru, 1 other Vanuatu kava, and 1 Fijian Kava...
Oh cool, it's 241xxx. According to @kavadude's rule of thumb, that confirms my experience that it should be more heavy than heady. Some day I might actually get the hang of this. :)
(I'll bet when I added some Mo'i to it, it morphed to a 421xxx.)

verticity

I'm interested in things
Thanks for the great review HeadHodge!
Deleted User actually did do a chemotype on the extract used - it is on the list of his published chemotypes http://www.truekava.com/chemotype.html (Just named Kalm with Kava) - We use a large portion of Borongoru, 1 other Vanuatu kava, and 1 Fijian Kava. As for price, purchasing by the traveler size makes packaging costs a limiting factor, once you get into the larger sizes though, price drops to around 2.00-1.50/serving, pretty close per serving as any other instant. But since you're buying 50 gallon drums, we can work out a pretty sweet deal for you :)
Huh, I was wondering if it might be borongoru. For me it's definitely non-heady, but more anxiolytic/heavy, and long lasting.

Kalm with Kava

Kava Vendor
It is about 60%. The interesting thing is, the extraction process keeps the same chemotype but makes the resulting kavalactone mix more heavy than water prepared Borongoru. I'm starting to believe DHK is the easiest kavalactone to extract.

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro
Great review, @HeadHodge! I love the stuff, and wish I had a Franzia Wine size box with mylar bag FULL of the stuff in my fridge at all times. Sometimes when I'm drinking it, I wish I could drink it WHILE I'M DRINKING IT!

What's interesting is that I drank some last night (the only kava I had that night) after not having it until I *really* got into kava varieties, and it sure is stronger when you come back to it. I had 4 shells (1oz/7oz concentrate/water) and I swear I was pretty k-dog-ified. I didn't get the eye lag, but I got the off-balance, grin and laughter while I helped my daughter with flash cards for her Spanish test. Strong it be. It's a great intro-vector (I've recommended it to non-kava drinkers to get over RT) and a great thing to return to when your kava sensitivity is in full effect.

Steve Mariotti

Review Maestro
And I'm drinking a glass RIGHT NOW. :) After a morning of moving desks around and unhooking and rehooking things and unpacking stuff and sorting cables and whatnot. Ahhhhh...

Kimmer

Patently irritable
Steve, they do indeed sell this in a bag-in-box. I jumped off at a gallon jug :) If you go over 32 oz., the price drops to $1.25/serving. I think he said over 3 gallons it drops to $1/serving.

Steve Mariotti

Review Maestro
Steve, they do indeed sell this in a bag-in-box. I jumped off at a gallon jug :) If you go over 32 oz., the price drops to $1.25/serving. I think he said over 3 gallons it drops to $1/serving.
Rad.

Maybe for my next birthday party, I'll be serving nothing but Kalm Concentrate and just call it "punch" and see what happens. I'd have to banish alcohol, though, and I think it'd just be me holding my bag. ;-)

Imagine a world where alcohol didn't exist, and it was kava that was on tap at the local pubs, bars, and restaurants. We'd be more like bonobos and less like chimps all up in here.

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
They sell a 55 gallon drum too.
I ordered some of this and Mike was very accommodating!!! (y)

I purchased a 64oz jug of Concentrate (I calculated I needed that much for a month or so supply for daily use).

Here is the price I was given:
Kalm with Kava said:
We are able to drop the price to 1.25/oz. for bulk orders so in short, If you wanted (1) 64oz. jugs I could get the price to:
64 x $1.25 = $80 + $14 shipping = $94.00

Once you get into the 3+ gallon qtys, we can offer the lowest wholesale pricing of 1.00/serve.
So 3 gallons would be 128 x 3 = $384 + around $30 for shipping = $414
I asked about the shelf life for my grog:
Kalm with Kava said:
Shelf life is 3+ months unrefrigerated unopened, 6+ months refrigerated opened or 12+ months refrigerated unopened.

Last edited:

Runding

Kava Enthusiast
Are those prices for premixed, or for concentrate? I would totally buy a large amount of this stuff with decent pricing...