What's new

Coconut shells

Status
Not open for further replies.

wanderingwoodsmith

Kava Enthusiast
I must say, BKH has impressed me with their shipping. I havent tried the Nangol Noble yet, saving that for the weekend. But I mixed up some Squanch Kava, and tried out my new shells. Within 30 minutes after using each one, they both started cracking very badly. They crack so loud I can hear them from another room. Such a shame, I will be sticking to wooden cups/bowls from now on. Or maybe a good gourd.

BillB

Kava Curious
That's weird. I've been using the shells from BKH and they've been working just fine. I wonder if it has to do with the temperature of the water your using. I usually use sort of cold water.

wanderingwoodsmith

Kava Enthusiast
Mine was cold. Not ice cold. But slightly cooler than room temperature. After the first one cracked, I coated the outside of the second one with coconut oil, hoping it would hydrate and help to seal the shell, but it didnt make a difference. I can still hear them cracking every few minutes. Oh well. I think they are too big anyways.

wanderingwoodsmith

Kava Enthusiast
I am not upset about it. This is just for future references for those that may encounter similar problems. It is hard too put a guarantee on natural products such as coconut shells. :)

kasa_balavu

Yaqona Dina
Interesting. Sorry to hear about the loss of your shells.
BTW I haven't seen a proper shell for sale online. All the ones I've seen are just barely sanded and as thick as they were when they fell out of the tree.

A proper bilo (fijian: literally cup, but also the name of kava shells) should be ground down until it's really thin and light. I remember two separate years in primary school (ages 6 to 12) where everyone in my class had to make one.

Step 1: Find a well shaped nut and cut it in half. If you know the proper way, it can be done cleanly with a knife or sharp rock. Otherwise, use a hacksaw. Remove the meat/flesh.
Step 2: Smash a Fiji Bitter bottle to get a nice piece of glass. These bottles work best because they're made of very thick glass.
Step 3: Use the glass to scrape the shell until it's thin enough that you're worried you'll crush it in your hands. Then sandpaper till smooth.
Step 4: Bury it in a swamp for 2-4 months. When you dig it up, it should have darkened significantly, be black if the conditions were right.
If all went well, you should have a perfect bilo.

I'm sure a woodworker would know a way to get the same result without burying the shell in mud, but that's the primitive way it was done when I was a wee boy, and that's still how it's done out in the villages of Fiji.

wanderingwoodsmith

Kava Enthusiast
Wow thank you for that tidbit of information. I love hearing about traditional/primitive handcrafts. I may try this someday. Also, I am a woodworker, I am not sure about coconuts, but if I wanted to stain my wooden cups or bowls a dark color, I would leave them soaking in a bucket of water and let the water stain them over a period of a couple months. Or coat it in fresh boiled walnut juice everyday for several weeks. I really need to start wood carving again, I need to make some shells of my own style out of wood.

Sam Handwich

Kava Enthusiast
I've not used my shells from BKH yet. I was hoping for something like what shakas is holding and was not super impressed by them. Too thick, too big and there seems to be some sort of shellac on them as well. I'll let you know if they crack when I do use them.
@kasa_balavu, it sounds like there may be a market in the states for genuine, quality Fijian shells (hint, hint).

wanderingwoodsmith

Kava Enthusiast
@Sam Handwich I hope you have better luck with your shells. I agree, they are huge. I think the thickness may be why mine cracked. From what I can tell, only the outside of them cracked, but with time I am sure it will crack on the inside as well. Its weird, from where the cracks start, it is slowly cracking in a circle around the entire shell. I also think if the shells had been cut off closer to the center, they might not have cracked so easily. Could be a stress crack from the rim being so far from the center, with fluctuations in the different areas of the shell.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
You can get them super dark. I covered mine in olive oil, and threw it into my vacuum chamber. Pulled it down to vacuum for half an hour and it comes out glossy black. Makes them relatively water resistant too. Just rolls right off of them. You definitely wouldn't have to worry about them cracking then. Soaking them in some oil over night would help prevent the cracking scenario.

Status
Not open for further replies.