What's new

Can Kava making machines work better?

ArnoldT

Has anyone tried the electric agitator that uses centrifugal force to squeeze the kavalactones out of the mash? The claim is that 250 lbs. of pressure and the automated timer gets the job done in 10-15 minutes. 1-3 gallons can be done at once.

Or has anyone tried the many juice makers that squeeze the juices out of a vegetable mash? Or is it too sloppy to add a liquid mash of kava as input into the juicer.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Has anyone tried the electric agitator that uses centrifugal force to squeeze the kavalactones out of the mash? The claim is that 250 lbs. of pressure and the automated timer gets the job done in 10-15 minutes. 1-3 gallons can be done at once.
You can buy a small portable washing machine (which is what those other devices are) and make kava this way. Is it worth it? To most people it is not worth it because most people drink kava alone and most people don't drink 3 gallons at a time. I would never waste my money, I'd rather have the price equivalent in actual kava.
Or has anyone tried the many juice makers that squeeze the juices out of a vegetable mash? Or is it too sloppy to add a liquid mash of kava as input into the juicer.
It's too messy and it doesn't really work. It is best to keep it simple and use your hands.

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
My take on all the latest gadgets and machines, mixers and shakers is that, as kava becomes ever more popular, more people are looking at ways to make money out of it. For a mix of a couple of liters/half gallon, either working by hand or a common cheap kitchen blender does the job as well as anything else.

Bubba Bula

krunkadelic relic
You can buy a small portable washing machine (which is what those other devices are) and make kava this way. Is it worth it? To most people it is not worth it because most people drink kava alone and most people don't drink 3 gallons at a time. I would never waste my money, I'd rather have the price equivalent in actual kava.
It's too messy and it doesn't really work. It is best to keep it simple and use your hands.
Problem is, I don't think I could drink that much root before my gut would explode. It has enough trouble with the amount I already drink, which is around 6-7 tablespoons of medium grind per day max.

Koa_Kava_

Kava Vendor
My take on all the latest gadgets and machines, mixers and shakers is that, as kava becomes ever more popular, more people are looking at ways to make money out of it. For a mix of a couple of liters/half gallon, either working by hand or a common cheap kitchen blender does the job as well as anything else.
Agree, unless you're making a ton of kava regularly for parties, gathering or business going traditional and making by hand is the way to go!

Orz[EST]

Kava Enthusiast
Measuring kavalactones would require a cromatographist; maybe densitometry or solvent extraction dry mass could be a shortcut.

Wonder whether it would need mechanical shearing (blender) or is there some sonication hack. To really know in fine resolution, a lab test is necessary.

Not difficult but not easy either.