What's new

Boroguru

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
I had the same problem when I started out. Even now, 2 tbsps barely does anything for me (wears off after about 30 minutes). I have to use 4 tbsps to get anywhere. Keep after it.

krunkedout

Kava Lover
I always use at least 6 tablespoons and I have been drinking kava for around a year or more. Some people's body's just process things different than others. But even with that my pounds last around 3 weeks or maybe a month. And that's with almost nightly use.

Ed!

Kava Enthusiast
Last time I had Borogoru (last night) I had a heaping 1/4 of a cup to a random amount of water. Drank it over a few hours.

It was nice, but not as affecting as I tend to like. Definitely a mixer for me. Would be great with Nambawan or Fu'u.

mos3z

Kava Enthusiast
I mentioned this a few months back, but i can definitely confirm the antifungal properties of boroguru. Its subtle at first but seems to get stronger after several days of drinking it in a row once it builds up in my system. Boroguru is my favorite kava but i need to space it apart or I get a negative reaction from it. 2 days in a row seems ok for me, but longer than that then its an issue.

kl.KarmaG

Kava Enthusiast
@mos3z, What was your negative reaction? I am just now trying to get back into kava after some prior issues and want to be sure to avoid potential negatives in the future. Never tried boroguru, though. Thanks!

Ozzyfan121

Pretentious, Wannabe Philosopher
It's good to see you back, Karma! I was just wondering how your adventure into other herbal anxiolytics was going without kava, and here you are. Interesting.

kl.KarmaG

Kava Enthusiast
Thanks, ozzyfan! I have been told that I have a tendency to emerge from solitude with the mere thought of my name by others. :)

I haven't found anything that compares to kava really, at least in the sense that kava keeps me from drinking while other things don't really have the same effect. Some other things that do work lack the safety profile of kava and have potential for addition if taken daily (i.e. phenibut) and I don't see the point in substituting one addiction for another, although it does seem to work for some people. I just don't think I'm at that point yet. Anyways, long story short, I spent too much time boozing over Christmas and have been feeling pretty crappy about it so I'm going to try kava again tonight with the addition of Benedryl just in case. Wish me luck!

mos3z

Kava Enthusiast
Hey Karma, good to see u again. your story scared the crap out of me, i cant imagine having to stop kava. Good luck tonight! I was thinking about you and wondering if you had tried any extracts and had the same reaction? or a very coarse ground kava like the old boroguru or chiefs? I was wondering with a coarse grind like that if it made a difference for you, maybe you were just ingesting too much powder?

For my reaction i doubt it relates to anyone in here but i just thought it was interesting that this kava showed antifungal properties. I have a really random systemic candida infection so any antifungal kills off stuff and gives me wicked die-off symptoms.

JonT

Kava Enthusiast
Bought this for the first time. It took about 8 days using priority international shipping, which is actually quite slow for priority international shipping!

Worth the wait though. Beautiful aroma. The taste and mouth effects and truly memorable. Interesting mahogany colour.

Relaxing body effects but not overpowering - this off two shells. I mixed about 100g to 1 litre of water, pretty standard for me. My strainer bag has seen better days so I did it through an old sock. The oils in this root are prodigious. I am certain to get a good second squeeze from it.

Certainly tempted already to put in another order. :)

KavaKrunked

Kava Enthusiast
Also trying Boroguru for the first time as I type this. It arrived in the mail today. I mixed 4 tablespoons with 2 cups water and proceeded to knead for 20 minutes. These are the same ratios and processes I have been using with Stone as of late, so I wanted to compare.

The piney flavor/aroma is interesting but not overpowering. This is definitely a darker brew, but that could be a result of the finer grind. I usually drink 2 cup brews in 3 shells, spaced 10-15 minutes apart. I have downed 2 shells, and am about to take the third. I might venture to say that after 2 shells, this actually feels stronger to me than Stone. Nice relaxation setting in, a little headier than Stone.

Third shell down. The real test will be if I feel like I need to do a second wash tonight. No, and this will be deemed a quality and potent root powder in my book.

Ok, 30 minutes since the last shell. Quite sedated. No need for a second wash. Time to hit the sack. Boroguru +1.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Haha glad you enjoyed it my man. I wish it was stronger for me than stone, it would save me a lot of $$$.

kl.onepointnine

Kava Curious
Whew, this stuff is potent!

I'm finding 2.5 tablespoons in about 1.5 cups of water a little too strong. I can't even imagine the 6 tbsp. levels some people in this thread are describing, but it's almost giving me a slight case of the spins. Heavy. Next time I'll temper it with something else, or simply use less. Well, it's economical, that's for sure! Thanks, Judd, for making available some real Kava!

August West

Kava Enthusiast
Well my order camebfrom portland oregon to cincinnati in two business days! Kudos to bkh for the shipping. And yeah, I mixed four ths in 20 oz water. Drank half of it over the last two hours and i'm kinda scared to drink any more! Everyone says it's mainly a bodyload grog but my head feels like it's gonna float away. Good stuff, i'm impressed

August West

Kava Enthusiast
So my strainer sprung a leak and I was in a hurry, so I tossed and washed two+ tbs maybe. Holy crap. My ears seem to feel wide open, like I could hear a marshmallow hit the ground from two blocks away. Another thing, it sounds like a symphony of crickets are chirping in my head. My ears are ringing so loudly. They always ring, though. Thank god I didn't take more. I seriously have to sit down. And if this kava is mostly a body load kava, then i'm scared of the alternative. I'm slightly slurring my words. And I keep clenching my teeth. This may simply be to nervousness,bc i'm not used to such profound effects. I'm gonna be more careful.with.this root, from now on. Bravo BKH!

krunkedout

Kava Lover
tombo said:
So my strainer sprung a leak and I was in a hurry, so I tossed and washed two+ tbs maybe. Holy crap. My ears seem to feel wide open, like I could hear a marshmallow hit the ground from two blocks away. Another thing, it sounds like a symphony of crickets are chirping in my head. My ears are ringing so loudly. They always ring, though. Thank god I didn't take more. I seriously have to sit down. And if this kava is mostly a body load kava, then i'm scared of the alternative. I'm slightly slurring my words. And I keep clenching my teeth. This may simply be to nervousness,bc i'm not used to such profound effects. I'm gonna be more careful.with.this root, from now on. Bravo BKH!
welcome to the world of krunk.

kl.bukukava

Kava Curious
I have done 1tbs in 1cup of water around 3 times in the last hour and a half. Its not bad. Seems to be helping my anxiety. But it is making me a bit nauseous and my gag reflex has just about had it. Will continue experimenting. Hopefully the negative bodyload goes down and the positive goes up.

KavaKrunked

Kava Enthusiast
I find that I gag if I try to toss 'n wash with water. Try using orange juice instead. It works great for me and I don't even notice the kava. It sort of "feels" right because of the pulp in the juice.

kl.bukukava

Kava Curious
yeah, without giving too much detail, it really made me sick yesterday. I'm going to try it again now and see how it goes.

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner
Great news! I think we found a perfect grind size for our kava! And the smell of this most recent shipment is truly amazing. The new batch still has quite a bit of very small pieces which we think help with kavalactone extraction, but enough of the grind is big enough to help make straining easier so that your not left with a bowl of thick mud. For now the new grind will only be with Boroguru, but in the next week or so Melo Melo and Borogu will move to this grind as well. Please let me know what you think.