What's new

Kava Preparation Boiling method.

I"m sure alot of you guys have seen this video. But, I love this video that GHK made on the boiling method. Going to try this tonight.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Yes, that looks really interesting, I'm going to try it this weekend, not had a chance yet.

schatz

itchin for kava
I tried it a couple weeks ago, it came out incredibly like thanksgiving gravy, but very potent. I would make it this way everytime but it was kind of hard to get down.

Capitán Bastos

Presanteur
I might try it next time I'm running really low, but I don't see the point with my current stash.
I'm also thinking about the fact that the people living where kava grows have had access to both kava and fire for thousands of years. And as far as I know, they don't boil. I might not get the strongest grog, but having tried various ways of preparation.
I still prefer cold water extraction. You could use the boiling method, chill and dilute, I suppose. I would only do that if I didn't have enough to do a traditional/AluBall prep though.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Chris does say in the video that it has been done in Hawaii in the past.

schatz

itchin for kava
Does adding more water help?
It helps in Chris video but for some reason I already had quite a bit of liquid and didnt want to add more. I was using Big Kava Waka and maybe its starchier than chris GHK kava, I think it is, because I followed his video and mine thickened up way more than his. I also used a digital thermometer and kept it under 170 degrees and added a couple cups more water than Chris did in his video to try and thin it out to no avail. Still was good and potenet and rather pleasant tasteing, at least to me, your mileage may vary.

Chaucer

Kava Curious
I actually found the taste more palatable to my typical Aluball method of prep and the thicker consistency was nice as well.

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
Chris does say in the video that it has been done in Hawaii in the past.
It would be interesting to see that reference Chris refers to. I prefer to stay with the safer, more rational method as quoted from the Journal of the American Medical Association article --"...the traditional kava beverage is prepared by cold water extraction of its roots. Historic use shows that kava is safe under the strict control of the rituals of Pacific cultures. The traditional beverage is consumed on a daily basis without apparent adverse effects, and kava cultivars considered as noble ones have a long tradition of safe use".

Zaphod

Kava Lover
Tried it, and I can't recommend it. It turns very thick and starchy and hard to strain/knead. It also makes it very bitter. Even more bitter than just a warm water extraction. It does, however, make it really strong. So I have no doubt it is better at extracting more KLs but not worth it in my opinion.

TJo

Kava Curious
I have tried this also, it does indeed make this mix like a thick gravy and is a lot more bitter than usual. Suppose you could make it work if you had a good routine and don't mind the extra time taken to make this increased potency brew. Personally, too much hassle for me for little reward.

Happy G

Kava Curious
I have tried this method before too and it did make a very strong grog, I agree that it was a lot harder to knead through my strainer takes a lot longer , I also tried this method with toss and wash I grounded up 4 tablespoons of kava in a coffee grinder then did the boiling method I added it to my blender when it cooled down a little. Then I added some ice and coconut juice to make one very thick milkshake of joy , I gulped it down all in one chug like a boss and it was so so so strong but very enjoyable sometimes I like to go really strong on the weekends .

Intrepidus_dux

Kava O.G.
I’ve tried this. If I want to torture myself with kava, I’ll drink old grog. Same boost in effects and same flavor change. No joke.

PsyGuru

Kava Enthusiast
Maybe better of using the blender with 120 degree or cold water.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

nashfire

Stay Rooted
I have been doing this with 4 Tbs med grind GHK (various cultivars; kumakua, mahakea, hanakapi'ai) to about 2 cups filtered water for the heating (like Chris said until the white "foam" swirls show up and it gets thicker / glossy. ) Takes about 3 min. on high to med heat - gas burner. Use a small whisk stirring constantly. Then I add another 2 cups cold water, stir, then filter through a single kneehigh nylon into a bowl. I give it a couple kneads - def. More starchy / gooey than cold prep. Fully squeeze out nylon. I then add 1 cup of organic vanilla soy milk (costco/kirkland brand), mix and pour into quart jars using a canning funnel. Fridge it - tastes way better cold! I'm a noob on a budget but a daily drinker for back/sciatic so max extraction is the way I roll. Thanks to Chris @Gourmet Hawaiian Kava for the great vid and root! Bula! (Another Chris in sunny Boise, Idaho)

Last edited:

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast
I've tried it too. I thought it increased potency. However, I'm not particularly inclined to do it again. Its like having kava soup/kava gravy.