What's new

3rd Day Liver Pain (advice please)

I first started trying Kava years ago in the form of an alcohol suspended extract from the local natural shop, we tried pockets of honey I just could not figure out a way to take the extract it was so bitter. So he gave me empty capsules that I quickly filled and downed before they dissolved in my hand being filled with alcohol lol. Those worked great and it has been years since I have been doing that, I am just a seasoned green smoker. Now I am back on wanting to use this regularly, so I ordered "instant 10:1 root extract powder 100% Fiji grown USDA organic" thinking thats what extract is made out of + alcohol.

I start my way with half a table spoon mixed into coffee (the stuff is like cinnamon; so dry its almost non-soluble) this had a very mild effect almost just barley took the edge off the day. At night I was filling "000 size pharma-grade capsules" with the powder and taking one an hour before bed and it really helped me reach REM and get a solid deep crazy dream sleep for 3 days with great energy in the morning better then the last 10 years. However last night the 3rd night I started getting pain in my chest below my ribs its my liver, I first noticed the pain when I coughed. It has now been 24 hours and and its still pretty much the same (I have not taken any kava all day today) this was from 3 days of use, I am guessing the caps are not opening until they reach my liver and it balls up like cinnamon? I really want to continue to use this is I can do it properly (maybe mixing drinks) I feel as long as I can get it to solute into liquid before intake it will help greatly? Maybe I have the wrong kava all together...

Please help

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
I first started trying Kava years ago in the form of an alcohol suspended extract from the local natural shop, we tried pockets of honey I just could not figure out a way to take the extract it was so bitter. So he gave me empty capsules that I quickly filled and downed before they dissolved in my hand being filled with alcohol lol. Those worked great and it has been years since I have been doing that, I am just a seasoned green smoker. Now I am back on wanting to use this regularly, so I ordered "instant 10:1 root extract powder 100% Fiji grown USDA organic" thinking thats what extract is made out of + alcohol.

I start my way with half a table spoon mixed into coffee (the stuff is like cinnamon; so dry its almost non-soluble) this had a very mild effect almost just barley took the edge off the day. At night I was filling "000 size pharma-grade capsules" with the powder and taking one an hour before bed and it really helped me reach REM and get a solid deep crazy dream sleep for 3 days with great energy in the morning better then the last 10 years. However last night the 3rd night I started getting pain in my chest below my ribs its my liver, I first noticed the pain when I coughed. It has now been 24 hours and and its still pretty much the same (I have not taken any kava all day today) this was from 3 days of use, I am guessing the caps are not opening until they reach my liver and it balls up like cinnamon? I really want to continue to use this is I can do it properly (maybe mixing drinks) I feel as long as I can get it to solute into liquid before intake it will help greatly? Maybe I have the wrong kava all together...

Please help

Hi, I am sorry about your problems. Please note that we are not medical professionals here, so we cannot give you any medical advice. If you are seriously concerned about your liver and have developed other symptoms related to liver problems, I would suggest seeing a doctor. If your doctor decides that your worries are justified he or she might ask you to get a blood test and he or she will be able to tell if everything is OK.

Generally, it seems to me that you did practically no research on kava before taking it. Perhaps you should read more about it if you want to enjoy it in a safe and effective way.
My general advice would be for you to only use kava in a traditional manner: i.e. only consume raw or dried roots (either in the medium grind or micronized form), or dried kava juice/resin (like some instants). Also, only buy kava from trusted vendors. Pure and noble kava has a very good safety record. People have been drinking it for millenia (often in very large quantities and on a daily basis) and very, very, very few of the kava users have ever reported any serious problems (that were most likely linked to the consumption of either non-noble or impure kava and/or due to the interactions with other drugs).

D

Deleted User01

@PinkFloydEffect, I'm not a doctor but I play one on the Kava Forums so here is some medical advice for you. "Get your ass in gear and go see a doctor". Man, if you even remotely think it is the liver, I would see a Doc ASAP. Like Deleted User said, you may have ingested junk or maybe you had an existing condition that got aggravated by the stuff you took. No matter, please get yourself checked out. My hope is that you have a bad case of gas. I remember a female friend going into the emergency room with chest pains. The doctor pressed on her abdomen and a noxious cloud of gas was expunged and the pain went away. We still kid her about that. Let's pray for that.

It was only 3 days, and only the last day brought the liver pain, it has now been 36 hours since last consumption and I am feeling better if the liver pain is gone by tomorrow I will not worry about it if it continues I will surely see a doctor.

Yes that is the stuff I have been taking here is the exact photo (from a trusted seller):

So you suggest NOT taking kava of any kind/purity in capsules? Always drink it? This stuff definitely smells like kava, they have sold hundreds of bags with positive feedback and it says USDA Organic (I did not think the USDA approved of Kava at all?) Maybe capsules are okay if taken with certain foods?

I guess this is why I am here because my research has gone in the wrong directions, can anyone provide me with links to correct information? It taste horrible I need to make sure however I prepare it I can tolerate it...would love to come up with a way to take it in the morning as well as at night but night is my main focus as it helped me SO much...since I had to stop last night I used a "benzo" instead and I do not like those; they keep me asleep but I do not reach REM and when I wake up I do not feel ready to jump put of bed the drowsiness effect stays. I am only in my 20s but I can't seem to get good sleep, and its not my bed.

Last edited:

verticity

I'm interested in things
Why do you believe it is your liver that is hurting? It is more likely to be your GI tract. It could be an inflamed appendix or something. In any case, I'm not a doctor either. Please go see your doctor ASAP to find out what is going on.

Pacifico

Kava Enthusiast
Why do you believe it is your liver that is hurting? It is more likely to be your GI tract. It could be an inflamed appendix or something. In any case, I'm not a doctor either. Please go see your doctor ASAP to find out what is going on.
It was only 3 days, and only the last day brought the liver pain, it has now been 36 hours since last consumption and I am feeling better if the liver pain is gone by tomorrow I will not worry about it if it continues I will surely see a doctor.

Yes that is the stuff I have been taking here is the exact photo (from a trusted seller):

So you suggest NOT taking kava of any kind/purity in capsules? Always drink it? This stuff definitely smells like kava, they have sold hundreds of bags with positive feedback and it says USDA Organic (I did not think the USDA approved of Kava at all?) Maybe capsules are okay if taken with certain foods?

I guess this is why I am here because my research has gone in the wrong directions, can anyone provide me with links to correct information? It taste horrible I need to make sure however I prepare it I can tolerate it...would love to come up with a way to take it in the morning as well as at night but night is my main focus as it helped me SO much...since I had to stop last night I used a "benzo" instead and I do not like those; they keep me asleep but I do not reach REM and when I wake up I do not feel ready to jump put of bed the drowsiness effect stays. I am only in my 20s but I can't seem to get good sleep, and its not my bed.
Can someone explain liver pain?

It has gotten better no more pain, the feeling was in the center of my chest from my bottom rib to about an inch above my belly button. Now that the pain is gone now to restrategize intake of the kava I already have (seller claims he drinks same stuff every day) eBay seller ratings do not lie so I have to give it another shot but...with more intake research.

I just sent him a message asking to see the cert, and I will send you some to analyze I would love to know what I am putting in my body.

As I said I have used alcohol suspended extracts, and now I tried extract powder in capsules. Just now I made my first ever cold press in a bowl with a small amount of water and a very generous tablespoon in a...new pantyhose (its all I have right now). It is not the consistency that all the videos I see on youtube are, this is much more fine ground into dust and most of it dissolved through the pantyhose it felt like clay when wet so shaking the bag in the water worked better then mashing it with fingers mostly. I will post pictures of it shortly!

Can't really say there was any numbness from drinking it, but it is much thinner then it looks to drink...I feel good but I think it has more potential for a heaping table spoon...sending some to Deleted User this week

blindy107

Kava Lover
I agree. It looks like garbage. A good cup of awa looks like milked up coffee or light chocolate milk. That stuff you have looks awful to me.

So to set the record straight, you mixed this extract with water and squeezed it? Is it like a powdered sugar consistency or similar?

Are you sure it ships from the USA? If not, then I believe USDA means nothing to them and the sticker is therefore horsepoooo. But I know little... Listen to @Deleted User. He does science. ::awesomesmiles::

It has a red appearance, not the color I see in photos and videos.

Seller has certifications they said they can scan and email to me, was shipped from USA. I won't buy any more I agree its garbage and I know little about Kava.

This was just water and kava, constancy was like clay when wet.

greenbeen

Kava Enthusiast
I would stay far away from that stuff. If you are truly concerned with what you put in your body like you said (i hope you are) you will toss that stuff and buy some from somebody on the forum`s approved vendor list. Its well worth it. For the kava and more importantly for your health.

I am curious if the off-color is due to the extra fine consistency, either way I am sending a sample to Deleted User. I have not gotten the pain since I stopped filling capsules, I have drank it 3 times and almost everything dissolves from the strainer bag there is barley anything left.

I paid $15 for 4oz is that expensive?

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro
I am curious if the off-color is due to the extra fine consistency, either way I am sending a sample to Deleted User. I have not gotten the pain since I stopped filling capsules, I have drank it 3 times and almost everything dissolves from the strainer bag there is barley anything left.

I paid $15 for 4oz is that expensive?
That's $60 a pound, so definitely on the high end of the spectrum.

That dark tarry color looks ominous. Both pictures look nothing like kava has in any preparation I've seen.

But you're in luck, there are a dozen great vendors and some phenomenal well-tested well proven kava varieties out there. It's a veritable cornucopia.