What's new

Do NOT Do This!

KavaKitty

Meaow
I just saw another post on drinking old kava at room temperature, and it reminded me of something truly stupid that I did last week, which I'd meant to post about at the time but forgot.

I had made a quick batch of medium grind Waka using the blender method; I had planned on doing a second wash, but I didn't have the time, so I put the root pulp in a Zip-loc baggie and popped it into my cupboard, with the intention of doing it later that night (don't ask me why I didn't refrigerate it, I couldn't tell you). I forgot about it.

A few days later, I found it, and decided to do the second wash. The pulp smelled "off," kind of fruity, and you would think that would have told me DON'T DO IT! That's just crazy talk, why waste kava? So in the blender it went, with a cup of warm water. I squeezed it out and downed it.

About 15 minutes later, I felt like utter shit. To say the least. I was disconnected, nauseated, and had a general feeling of crappiness. I thought to myself, "Lesson learned," and went to bed. I had the worst, most vivid nightmares I've experienced in quite some time, and I woke up the next morning feeling "hungover," for lack of a better word. Not like an alcohol hangover, but that feeling of anxiety and edginess. It took the better part of that day for me to start feeling right.

So, here's my advice. If you're not going to do a second wash right away, at least refrigerate the root. And if you're going to refrigerate it, don't put it in a plastic baggie, because I'm pretty sure that doing that caused some kind of reaction with the root. Just put it in a bowl and put some foil over it.

Or just do your second wash right away. :bored:

verticity

I'm interested in things
That is good advice. Once the kava gets wet, the clock is ticking, as it were.

Like you said, you can refrigerate it, or you could also actually freeze it, which would prolong the life of it even longer.

I don't think a sealed plastic baggie would be a problem; but it would be a good idea to squeeze as much air out of it as you can. For the freezer, use a ZipLoc freezer bag.

ThePiper

Kava Lover
that's no good. I had some today and it tasted nasty but it wasn't uncomfortable. I have a hard time cleaning my sock strainer so I end up with foul tasting remnants at times when I reuse my strainers.

verticity

I'm interested in things
that's no good. I had some today and it tasted nasty but it wasn't uncomfortable. I have a hard time cleaning my sock strainer so I end up with foul tasting remnants at times when I reuse my strainers.
Do you happen to use milk in your prep?

verticity

I'm interested in things
No sir. spoiled milk in my strainer ain't my thang.
When you say "sock strainer" do you literally mean like a men's sock? Or do you use women's knee-highs? I use knee-highs, and to clean them, just rinse them with hot water, and turn them inside out to get the crap out of the inside. I never have any problem with foul remnants that way. If you are doing that already, and it is still not working, you could try washing them with soap, or even bleach to kill any germs (rinse thoroughly after you use bleach, obviously....) Also, it is easier to clean them if you just clean and hang them up to dry immediately after kneading your grog, rather than letting them sit around with wet root in them.

ThePiper

Kava Lover
I'm using what you're using but for some reason I have a hard time when I turn them inside out because I end up getting pieces of root fiber on both sides inside and out as I clean and then find fibers in my drink. Also seems I can never get all of the pieces and grit out of the folds of the kneehigh. I don't feel like it is unsanitary just tastes awful, similar to how kava tastes after it's sat in the fridge for a few days. with the added taste of wet socks lol

verticity

I'm interested in things
I'm using what you're using but for some reason I have a hard time when I turn them inside out because I end up getting pieces of root fiber on both sides inside and out as I clean and then find fibers in my drink. Also seems I can never get all of the pieces and grit out of the folds of the kneehigh. I don't feel like it is unsanitary just tastes awful, similar to how kava tastes after it's sat in the fridge for a few days. with the added taste of wet socks lol
What I usually do is rinse under hot water, then turn it inside out over the toilet in the bathroom, so I don't clog the sink. You could also do this over a garbage can or sink with a garbage disposal. Then rinse again. This gets rid of all the root. Or... knee highs are pretty cheap; you could just use a new one for each session...

If you're using a single layer of stockings that might let some fibers through. To fix that you can filter through an 80 micron filter after kneading, or doubled up stockings.

ThePiper

Kava Lover
Thanks for the tips. I try to reuse the stockings at least 3 or 4 times and I hate to add to the giant trashpile the earth is becoming if I can help it lol. But yeah Im just going to buy a pro level strainer from one of the vendors that has a fine mesh. I know kavafied has some, who else has strainers to the tune of 75 or 100 microns? I've gotten strainers for kava before but they are always absurdly wide mesh, like the one I got from n@h did not suit my needs.

verticity

I'm interested in things
Thanks for the tips. I try to reuse the stockings at least 3 or 4 times and I hate to add to the giant trashpile the earth is becoming if I can help it lol. But yeah Im just going to buy a pro level strainer from one of the vendors that has a fine mesh. I know kavafied has some, who else has strainers to the tune of 75 or 100 microns? I've gotten strainers for kava before but they are always absurdly wide mesh, like the one I got from n@h did not suit my needs.
@CactusKava sends a very nice 80 micron strainer for free with each purchase.

CactusKava

Phoenix, AZ
Kava Vendor
Hey Julian, great to see you out of jail, man.

As @verticity kindly pointed out, I do supply a free 80 micron strainer with each purchase. You'll get some super killer, premium kava and a bag that'll last for many months.

-Ricky

verticity

I'm interested in things
Hey Julian, great to see you out of jail, man.

As @verticity kindly pointed out, I do supply a free 80 micron strainer with each purchase. You'll get some super killer, premium kava and a bag that'll last for many months.

-Ricky
True, the Cactus bags are very tough (possibly monofilament nylon?)

ThePiper

Kava Lover
Awesome work boys. I guess I'll be making my first purchase from Cactus Kava soon then. What's the best heady and super clean kava you've got? I need it to be something with no side effects on the stomach. thanks.

CactusKava

Phoenix, AZ
Kava Vendor
Awesome work boys. I guess I'll be making my first purchase from Cactus Kava soon then. What's the best heady and super clean kava you've got? I need it to be something with no side effects on the stomach. thanks.
Hands down the Loa Lawena. It's a lawena, so it's very clean and mild, and I get exactly what I need out of 6 tablespoons. It's plenty strong without having to drink a ton of grog (and upset your stomach). That's the way she goes, bubs.

ThePiper

Kava Lover
Nice I'll have to check it out then. Is it from fiji though? Ive never had fiji that I loved, even though they are all heady. Even kwk fiji loa made me lethargic and aggravated my digestive condition

wormwood

Kava Enthusiast
Im sort of irresponsible with this. I sometimes leave strained kava in a bowl on the counter and will pull a second was from it as much as 24 hours later. Never had an issue at all, but maybe Im tempting fate. Its probably okay 24 hours later, but when you start talking about a couple of days....

kastom_lif

Kava Lover
Ikat wan risan from oli mekem kava fres evri naet. Sipos yu pem staka kava long redimed yu yu mas kam wan tanka i dringem finis.