What's new

Why Are All Supplements Similar Doses?

Elvis

I've noticed practically all Kava extract supplements are between 200-250 mg (30% ish Kavalactones). Why is this? Is there some kind of regulation as to how much can be marketed as a "dose" (capsule)? Is this just the dosage that is universally recommended for the average person? Thnx in advance for responses:)

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
This is around the actual clinically tested dose that was shown to relieve anxiety. It's also standard because they usually use 500mg capsule or smaller size to cap it, and they also add emulsifiers into the product to help with absorption. So really it's two things; 1.) The clinical "dose" per say. 2.) As much as they could fit without going to larger 1g sized capsules.
Kills two birds with one stone so-to-speak.

Also, welcome to the forums. Glad to have you.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
You'll also see recommendations floating around to limit kavalactone consumption to 250mg per day, though as far as I know this isn't based on anything scientific.

D

Deleted User01

Welcome Elvis! I started with capsules too. Try this, snip off the caps and squeeze the kava nectar between your tongue. See if it doesn't hit a little faster. Later you can try instant, micronized and powder.

Roaddog

Kava Who?
You'll also see recommendations floating around to limit kavalactone consumption to 250mg per day, though as far as I know this isn't based on anything scientific.
Well I'm up to about 6 shells already with another 4 to go, so what would you say my Kavalactone consumption is today? Much love. Roaddog....

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Roaddog my man I would have no idea without the kava you drank, a bunch of scientific equipment, and also any idea how to use said scientific equipment. It would depend both on the potency of the kava and the efficiency of your extraction.

Roaddog

Kava Who?
Roaddog my man I would have no idea without the kava you drank, a bunch of scientific equipment, and also any idea how to use said scientific equipment. It would depend both on the potency of the kava and the efficiency of your extraction.
Well I can tell you potency is high. and My extraction is great. So I'm sure I'm way over the kavalactone consumption of 250mg per day. Hell I could be in the thousands, for all I know. Anyway, feeling great, despite it all. Although I see some ::couch:: time in my future, but this ol Dog, got some fun having to do first. May fire off the cannon. Much love. Roaddog....

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
I've read that kava in Vanuatu can range from about 150-500 Milligrams per shell and daily consumption typically ranges from 500 mg to - 2,500 mg. Not completely on topic, but possibly useful to know.

Roaddog

Kava Who?
I've read that kava in Vanuatu can range from about 150-500 Milligrams per shell and daily consumption typically ranges from 500 mg to - 2,500 mg. Not completely on topic, but possibly useful to know.
Yes that would be daily consumption. So I would assume they go much higher in certain events, Ceremonies, that sort of thing? Much love. Roaddog....

Prince Philip

Duke of Edinborogu
That's very strange....

I say this because the only pill that seems worth a damned is Standard Process's "Kava Forte". Now, I've never swallowed one of these pills whole, but it's eminently chewable. Imagine if someone pressed a teaspoon of instant kava powder into a capsule and you have Kava Forte. It's basically a shell in a pill, and you turn it into the beverage the old fashioned way - you masticate it. That pill says it's only 50mg. Maybe I'm looking at a severe reverse tolerance, or maybe I make really weak kava, but that's my shell.