What's new

Treating Depression With Kava - Possible? Best Strain?

Hi, I'm researching Kava as an anti-depressant. Some of the active alkaloids are MAO-B inhibitors, which is one treatment mechanism employed by pharmaceutical antidepressants. Unfortunately there isn't much research literature available on the subject, so it isn't possible AFAIK to be specific about which "Kavalactones" are desirable for this use.  So I'm wondering if anyone on this forum has personal experience which would point towards certain strains (each having a unique and potentially beneficial alkaloid distribution) being particularly useful for the treatment of depression. I am guessing this would be manifested in a way some have described as "uplifting" or "euphoric." Thanks for any input!
As an aside, and I haven't seen this discussed in my reading of this forum, MAO inhibition is the reason you see some reports of people getting headaches after drinking caffeine and kava at the same time. When using MAOi's, one should avoid consuming Tyramine. This is found in wine, cheese, fermented foods, and caffeine. The combination can be dangerous - I'm guessing Kava is a weak MAOi so it is less of a big deal than other herbs - but either way I'd advise researching the proper diet if you are a heavy Kava user.

Vekta

Notorious Lightweight
Review Maestro
Uplifting and euphoric?
mmmm...probably something from Tonga or Hawaii.
I don't have depression so I can't really comment on that part. I use it for social anxiety and ones that are either balanced between body and mind or are more cerebral work best for me.

kl.new2kava

Kava Enthusiast
It sounds like you would be seeking a strain high in Kavain and low in DHM which tends to be sedating and cause drowsiness. The doublebonded kavalactones in general tend to be heavier and cause more side effects. I prefer high DHM strains but it sounds like they would not work the way you want them to. I'd recommend fu'u from Bula Kava House, they are the only site I've seen which list their kavalactone profiles. They also have melo melo which is high kavain and low DHM but I havn't tried that one, their instant green is great and very euphoric and uplifting as well as easy to use.

Paradise has a Fijan comming in made from purely lateral roots and Fijan kavas tend to be high kavain and low DHM. Nakamalathome has a few good strains that have the high kavain but they don't mention kavalactone lineups so I can only guess. I'd say N@H's white sand is high kavain/low DHM as well as WOW which is very pwerfull and costly to boot. Also possibly kavabyrex's van3 or tongan pride. Just avoid tudei style strains which have lots of DHM if your looking for energy.

kl.KarmaG

Kava Enthusiast
I'd agree with Vekta - Tongan or Hawaiian kava would probably be best. I find Rex's Tongan Pride to be a nice, uplifting and euphoric kava and is probably my favorite right now because of these effects.

I'm the type that is usually super-cautious but have never really worried about following an MAOI diet with kava since it's a reversible MAOI-B and I eat a LOT of cheese before, during, and after kava. Not that everyone should do it but I've never had any issues.