What's new

Kava Preparation Strainer bags

yardcat

Kava Lightweight
Just curious, where do you all get your strainers? I ordered one through Amazon a few months ago I believe it came from Kule'a and since I have Prime the 2 day shipping was free, unfortunately it hasn't been available for some time. It's still useable and I've been using doubled up knee highs also but somehow I think there may be some loss of potency, maybe they strain too well? Or could be imagination. Not a fan of the muslin bags as I haven't figured out how not to lose some root out of the opening even though I feel I have the string as tight as possible.
I just prefer the Fijian bags, so if anybody knows a good source that doesn't charge an arm and leg for shipping I'd appreciate it! :happy:

verticity

I'm interested in things
I actually like knee-high stockings for straining- they give a satisfyingly sqishy feeling when kneading. You could try just one stocking instead of doubled up if you're concerned about potency.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Yeah, I've been happy with both Bula Kava House and Kule'a Kava Farm's strainers. I much prefer them to using various household items since they seem to last for a few months and are just coarse enough for good kava without letting a ton of sediment through.

yardcat

Kava Lightweight
Thanks for the input y'all @Judd Rench realized I could use some more Nawaban, the first root I ever purchased that hit hard with the first shell of kava in my life, why not, heh? So threw a few strainers on too (y)

D

Deactivated Account

I actually like knee-high stockings for straining- they give a satisfyingly sqishy feeling when kneading. You could try just one stocking instead of doubled up if you're concerned about potency.
My only choice as well.

Prince Philip

Duke of Edinborogu
Usually, promo codes and gift sets.

In Frummism, objects associated with kava are sacred, and objects obtained for free are a special kind of sacred (Cargo), so free strainer bags make me squee.

Prince Philip

Duke of Edinborogu
True story, I have two, maybe three, that are completely unusable because they're too beautiful. The queen keeps them on private display in the Undergallery.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I bought these (i am a first time user, never done it before):
http://images.linnlive.com/704be76398a7700766cb65f84fb422ab/70c1fdea-9259-477a-a39a-85b3fff5c388.jpg
do you think they will make the work properly or should i worry and buy something else?
As long as you're using a more medium grind kava you should be just fine. If you find the bag is too porous, double it up. I used this strainer doubled up as my main strainer for years. I swapped over to Fijian style strainers when the kava I normally drank reduced in grind size considerably.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder

Prince Philip

Duke of Edinborogu
Many and many a vendor are going towards a smaller grind size.

The market forces driving this are all centered around higher efficiency at the consumer's end. When I was using a more coarse kava, I would use a ratio of about four cups of water per cup of kava. It would involve soaking, kneading, blending, and then kneading again. With a fine grind kava, I put it in the strainer bag and knead for five minutes, and I can extract the same amount of krunk juice using four quarts of water.

It's all Medium grind apart from the Quick Kava Librarian , I think your strainer could be OK but never forget the cheap nylon socks/pantyhose option!

Paulie-Paul

thekavaroots.com
Kava Vendor
Pantihose or Tights are great. Keep them colour free, but do not use with a course grind or your tights will run! Be gentle when squeezing, I find that pushing down and kneeding the kava rather than wringing makes a nice strong brew without any fibers escaping through any rips. Bula Peace