What's new

Solomon's is back?!? Where have I been?

kl.chuckboycejr

Kava Curious
The Jimi Hendrix "Are You Experienced?" of kavas has returned??? 
w00t! is all I can say.
Credit card is in hard.  Ordering as I type this.
Nakamal should be shouting this from the rooftops, but maybe they don't want the FDA to go all Gestapo on them.
Very glad to see the return of my favorite kava!

kavalover

Outsider
I know the feeling! I haven't been here in a while (had a 90 day dose of terbinafine for a foot fungus and didn't want to drink kava on top of that) but even though I have a few days left of the dosing I had to buy some solomon. What better way to get back into the krunkness, than with the only kava that has ever truly floored me to the point of face down on the couch.

Can't wait to get my order, I hope it does my memory justice. It's been too long, Solomon Islands...

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
"This kava usually has a spongy texture and is easier to wring out than the varieties that are more fibrous or woody. It is slightly reminiscent of balsa wood." says the Nakamal At Home Website. They are definitely correct here, I could almost put the kava back in the bag it was so dry after I had wrung it out well. Not really, but it fell out of the strainer bag looking more like dry kava than wet, freshly squeezed kava if you know what I mean.

kl.TidyMinion

Kava Curious
I only ever tried kava root from wakacon and just recently (last weekend) received a .55lb of the Solomon's after reading up on forums like this one and kavasseur. I brewed the remaining Wakacon kava to get rid of it last week (had it for a while) to set me up for the Solomon's. I mixed the Solomon's pretty strong, I'm assuming, because it went straight to my head. I actually got quite nauseous but felt better after eating something. I'm still new to drinking kava regularly but I'm definitely impressed with the Solomon's and plan on trying more from Nakamal @ Home, among others.

What's a good preparation method for Solomon's as far as brewing strength goes? N@H suggests 1 cup to 2 cups water but I didn't brew that strong.

Enjoying kava and the great information on these forums!

D

Deleted User01

Sipping on some now.  I used 34oz coconut water (2 cans) + 14 oz regular water for a total of 48oz liquid to 1.66 cups of Kava.  I put it in a pitcher but I recently bottled it in some of those 16 oz. (grolsh style) beer bottles with the locking caps.  Now I can just grab a bottle and take it anywhere.  And I fill them to the top so Air doesn't get in.  It should last longer that way.  I do the same with Red Wine with good results.

kl.TidyMinion

Kava Curious
nice, Deleted User01, hadnt thought about bottling it like that. right now it just sits in a large mixing bowl in the fridge. i picked up coconut milk and water earlier at the store and will try my next batch that way. have you found using that increases the potency of the final mix or is it just a flavor choice? i'm trying to find a mix that makes it more palatable as i think my girlfriend would enjoy the kava experience but cant handle the earthy nature of it. so i end up a few shells into it and am verbose in professing the wonders of kava as she just looks at me weird haha

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
TidyMinion said:
I only ever tried kava root from wakacon and just recently (last weekend) received a .55lb of the Solomon's after reading up on forums like this one and kavasseur. I brewed the remaining Wakacon kava to get rid of it last week (had it for a while) to set me up for the Solomon's. I mixed the Solomon's pretty strong, I'm assuming, because it went straight to my head. I actually got quite nauseous but felt better after eating something. I'm still new to drinking kava regularly but I'm definitely impressed with the Solomon's and plan on trying more from Nakamal @ Home, among others.

What's a good preparation method for Solomon's as far as brewing strength goes? N@H suggests 1 cup to 2 cups water but I didn't brew that strong.

Enjoying kava and the great information on these forums!

I usually just straight up ignore instructions from kava vendors. I like to use a lot of water, makes the resultant brew less thick and ensures that the kava is nice and potent. It's hard to say because I use a drinking glass and not a measuring cup to pour my water from but I'd say I probably do around 4tbsp/cup of water.

infraredz

BULA!
So based on what I've heard over the past several months, I decided to pick up some Solomon's.

I normally drink Stone (5 tablespoons) for anxiety and sleep. I decided to try out a couple different 'strains' and picked up Fu'u too (are Solomon and Fu'u similar in effect and/or potency)?

I've got a few questions, sorry:

1. What's the Solomon like compared to Stone?

2. It seems very highly regarded but I'm curious for which purpose (obviously potency seems to be at play)?

3. Will the Solomon's make me stimulated or anxious because that's counter-productive.

4. If I get a suitable feeling off 5 tablespoons of Stone, what should I use with the Solomon's?

THANK YOU!

D

Deleted User01

I add a tablespoon of Letchin per cup of Kava to add some Fat to the solution.  Not sure if it works or not but I do it anyway.   I use coconut water for taste.  The amount of coconut water I use for Solomons may even be a tad too sweet.  Solomons is not that bad tasting compared to others.  But who wants to take a chance on a bad tasting batch.    Again, I do a quick blend in the blender and let it sit for 5 minutes.   Then I knead and squeeze for at least 5 minutes.  I may keep 8 oz in reserve for a second squeeze and I use that second squeeze as a reward for a job well done (at 6:00 in the morning right after coffee but before cereal).  It's a weekend thing.  One more thing for all the newbies, you can use the Phytocapsules and/or candy to dose yourself and get over the reverse tolerance.  Do it for a week or so and  then hit the Kava Powder.

infraredz

BULA!
Deleted User01 said:
I add a tablespoon of Letchin per cup of Kava to add some Fat to the solution.  Not sure if it works or not but I do it anyway.   I use coconut water for taste.  The amount of coconut water I use for Solomons may even be a tad too sweet.  Solomons is not that bad tasting compared to others.  But who wants to take a chance on a bad tasting batch.    Again, I do a quick blend in the blender and let it sit for 5 minutes.   Then I knead and squeeze for at least 5 minutes.  I may keep 8 oz in reserve for a second squeeze and I use that second squeeze as a reward for a job well done (at 6:00 in the morning right after coffee but before cereal).  It's a weekend thing.  One more thing for all the newbies, you can use the Phytocapsules and/or candy to dose yourself and get over the reverse tolerance.  Do it for a week or so and  then hit the Kava Powder. 
I've been drinking Kava now for several months so I'm well accustomed to the effects, prep, etc. I also don't need to get over the reverse tolerance (or taste, I like it!). 

If you've drank either Stone or what I've heard to be similar to Stone which is Boroguru, can you compare the effects?

Also, if you've drank Stone, can you give me an approx. dosing equivalent? I normally use 5 tablespoons of Stone so I'm curious if I should use less, the same, or more.

Thanks!

krunkedout

Kava Lover
6 tablespoons is my go to amount for any kava, I the effects are to weak I will adjust the dose accordingly. Solomon's is pretty dang strong though

Dan

Kava Enthusiast
infraredz said:
1. What's the Solomon like compared to Stone?
It's been a while since I've messed with Stone, but I wouldn't compare it to Solomons.  Stone has an eye-crossing, word-slurring ruggedly body-physical aspect that isn't so much a factor with Solomons.  At least in my experience, Solomons is very heady in the way of BKH's Nambawan, but it comes on a bit slower and sticks around for longer.   The delayed onset (it takes like 20-25 minutes to build to a peak rather the standard 10-15 minutes - again, just my subject experience) is one of its most interesting properties.

I love this stuff.

kl.TidyMinion

Kava Curious
I mixed 3 level tbsp. and a little over 1.5 cups distilled water then hand-pressed for almost 10 minutes. Had 3 shells but there was at least 20-30 minutes between each one. I felt something from the first 2 but didn't seem like too much so right before eating some thin crust pizza I quickly skulled the last shell not really expecting too much of a change. Like Dan mentioned, it came on kinda slow and by the 3rd shell was the perfect storm. Had a few bites of food and think that potentiated it a bit.

Very heady, like nothing I've experienced before with Kava. Just still really getting started though...

D

Deleted User01

I haven't tried Stone.  I currently have Koniak in stock and just finished some Boroguru.  I would say the Koniak is like taking a pain pill.  It hits you over the head and downs you out.  I would say that is an "after work" kava.   I can drink Solomon in the middle of the afternoon.  get an instant buzz, and still do computer work and talk to my co-workers.  I'm  going to bottle both this weekend.  Then take take the Solomons during the afternoon (only on Kava days, not every day) and finish the working day with some Koniak (the knockout punch).  The reverse tolerance advice was in reply to some newbies complaining about no buzz.  I should have put that in another topic.

P.S.  Since I like to do Kava during the work day, my next purchase will be Tongan Lightning.   It is supposed to be cerebral and speed like??  Anyway, I will keep you posted.

D

Deleted User01

Infraredz.  Sorry, I didn't answer your dosing question.  I use 1.5 cups of Kava to 48 oz. water for Solomons and Koniak.  For Boroguru I use 2 cups kava to 48 oz.

infraredz

BULA!
Deleted User01 said:
Infraredz.  Sorry, I didn't answer your dosing question.  I use 1.5 cups of Kava to 48 oz. water for Solomons and Koniak.  For Boroguru I use 2 cups kava to 48 oz.
Thanks for that!

I'm surprised by how much Kava some people use (I only use 5-8 tablespoons, so 1/3 to 1/2 cup) and get the desired effects.

How would you compare Solomon to Fu'u?