What's new

Powdered Hawaiian

odys1i

Kava Enthusiast
I would be most interested in trying the Hawaiian 'Awa powder, but I am not seeing exactly what cultivar it is. Is this a mix of different Hawaiian root or is it the same as the fresh-frozen (spotted Hiwa I believe).

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Grown organically, our kava is a blend of Native Hawaiian Cultivars only. You will find that no two batches of micro processed kava are perfectly identical.

It's under the description tab under the powdered kava section. Never even thought about that question until you asked.

odys1i

Kava Enthusiast
I did see that but I was wondering WHAT kinds are being used? Mahakea? Hiwa? Maybe a little M'oi (crosses fingers but...  not counting on it). Yes it makes a big difference. Hawaiian cultivars are the best kava out there and they vary quite a bit. In Fijii in Vanuatu all over the pacific you have local kavas and many cultivars but we don't see most of them. Hawaiian farmers have done great work trying to preserve their glorious native cultivars but the anti-kava attack has hurt them and so we don't see this anymore. I LOVE drinking different cultivars and noticing the distinct differences in taste and especially in effects. I have not had M'oi in so so long and miss it(smiley: frown)

krunkedout

Kava Lover
There was a post a few days ago titled "grow your own" and it has a link to an eBay lava plant that is a m'oi

Paradise Kava

Honolulu, HI
Kava Vendor
I love Mo'i as well. My favorite has always been Papa 'Ele 'Ele and Mo'i being a close second.
It's too bad these cultivars need serious baby-ing in the field and are prone to so many diseases.

Kind of irony, since they are the best tasting and even the bugs agree? Not sure.

For single strain, nothing beats fresh.

Aloha!
A.G

Prince Philip

Duke of Edinborogu
I like how you state implicitly what the cultivar is. All it takes to figure out exactly what you're saying is a detailed knowledge of Hawaiian cultivars and their preferred growing environments. Excellent back-door way to introduce consumers into the botany and agronomy of kava.