What's new

Potential!

Capitán Bastos

Presanteur
Looks like a kava kave that could hold most of the regular members of kavaforums... potential indeed, let's have a whip round! :)
Yes.
Imagine @Kapmcrunk , running the forums from that bunker.
@Gourmet Hawaiian Kava can you grow kava with hydroponics and uv lighting?
This could be the way to save kava and kava lovers from a nuclear disaster.
Isn't this a NOBLE pursuit?
Oh, and imagine if everyone who survived a nuclear war came out their shelters krunk.

I have a friggin drunk neighbor or his guest is drunk. Should I shoot him?
I can probably hit him quite clean with my daughter's air rifle, it has a scope.
Never mind, he went back inside.

verticity

I'm interested in things
I dunno, I bet cell reception is terrible down there...otherwise I'd be all over that..

verticity

I'm interested in things
Looks like a kava kave that could hold most of the regular members of kavaforums... potential indeed, let's have a whip round! :)
Cambridge English Dictionary said:
WTH is the origin of that idiom? "If you don't help raise money for George's breast reduction surgery, we will whip you." Is that what is implied?

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
WTH is the origin of that idiom? "If you don't help raise money for George's breast reduction surgery, we will whip you." Is that what is implied?
I'm not sure to be honest where it comes from but that's not the implication. It's used most frequently when you're in the bar and there is a big group of lads. They'll all put £30 in a pint jug and that's the drinks fund for the night.

verticity

I'm interested in things
I'm not sure to be honest where it comes from but that's not the implication. It's used most frequently when you're in the bar and there is a big group of lads. They'll all put £30 in a pint jug and that's the drinks fund for the night.
I see. Maybe it's more like "Whip that wallet out of your pocket!", like when you are in a pub and a big group of lads all whip it out.

verticity

I'm interested in things
I am sorry but I am still confused. All it says about why it is called a whip round is
It doesn't take much imagination to see how the process became known as a 'whip round'.
I guess I lack imagination. The quote below that one suggests that the shilling given for more wine was itself like a "whip", in the sense of something painful that must be endured (if one wanted more wine). The quote above that one seems to suggest that those who want more wine in the officers' mess hall should be whipped, or they are whipped if they don't pay their shilling. But aren't the officers the whippers, not the whippees?

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
It's a whip round because you go around getting money from each person in turn. No one is ever whipped, it's got nothing to do with whipping anymore, that's just the origin of the phrase.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
You would just say... Look at the size of George's mama's, we should have a whip round to help him get them sorted out. Then all his friends would chip in whatever sum and he could go and get the surgery done. If one of them decided they didn't like George anymore or actually preferred him with big breasts then they could just say no thanks and not contribute. That wouldn't lead to them being whipped. I hope this clears it up? ;-)

verticity

I'm interested in things
You would just say... Look at the size of George's mama's, we should have a whip round to help him get them sorted out. Then all his friends would chip in whatever sum and he could go and get the surgery done. If one of them decided they didn't like George anymore or actually preferred him with big breasts then they could just say no thanks and not contribute. That wouldn't lead to them being whipped. I hope this clears it up? ;-)
Still not clear. Did it used to have to do with whipping? Could officers on a ship whip those of lower rank, or get whipped by the Captain? Or did they mean it in a jocular fashion?

If you don't chip in for George's operation, you won't get whipped, but he will flog you with his huge teets. :D

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
From the link I gather that the whip bit comes from hunting where the whippers in or simply whips would keep the dogs in line.

NAMBATU

Kava Enthusiast
Gee whiz this has been painful to read.

"Whip" in the sense of whip-round refers to the speed. As in the American term "whip-smart", because if someone isn't slow they're quick, maybe even as quick as a whip. To do a whip-round means to quickly go round e.g. an office taking money from whoever's willing in order to pay for something.

I will be generous and assume the kava was to blame.

Edit: I'm probably completely wrong but I make way more sense than the explanation in the link.

Last edited:

verticity

I'm interested in things
I will be generous and assume the kava was to blame.
Of course.

But the term "whip smart" is actually a play on words. Whips hurt or sting. "Smarts" is a colloquialism for "hurts" or "stings", as in "Gee whiz this smarts to read." Or it used to be. Thus "Whip smart" (OK, so I'm probably full of crap due to the kava, but Liz Phair had an album called Whip Smart and I always thought that was what she meant.)