What's new

N@H Solomons

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner
I can't be the only one to have noticed this but there's more than one kava that looks to be completely noble that has an orange acetone result. Solomon Islands from Nakamal at Home shows orange, but has a very nice noble chemotype, including lower DHM levels and higher kavain levels than many others deemed "noble". Typical user reviews I've heard also sound like it has a noble like effect, and I'm not sure about this, but I don't think there are any tudei cultivars growing in the Solomon Islands.

Just thought it was interesting...

ApéroNoble

The d'Artagnan forum 4th Kavateer
I can't be the only one to have noticed this but there's more than one kava that looks to be completely noble that has an orange acetone result. Solomon Islands from Nakamal at Home shows orange, but has a very nice noble chemotype, including lower DHM levels and higher kavain levels than many others deemed "noble". Typical user reviews I've heard also sound like it has a noble like effect, and I'm not sure about this, but I don't think there are any tudei cultivars growing in the Solomon Islands.

Just thought it was interesting...
Deleted User, what has your experience been with non-Vanuatu kavas? Is spiking nearly as common with them?
Yes, I believe it is even more common in kavas from Fiji, Papa New Guinea, and the Solomon Islands.

On another topic, I'm surprised at the lack of response from vendors on this thread...

Agree, disagree, have any experiences to relate? Speak up!
Garry
It's sad because I actually enjoyed their Solomon but had tudei effects next day, this was months ago though

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner
@ObiNouekFoNobl So these quotes are posts that were referring to the Solomon's? I don't see any reference to it. Also if we're fully subscribing to the acetone test, noble kava that is spiked with tudei isn't orange, it's just slightly darker yellow. To spike it with enough tudei to make it orange would surely change the chemotype, but this chemotype is quite low in DHM, pretty high in kavain, and with reasonable noble levels of DHK. It's a very common noble chemotype all around.

Of course different drinkers experience different effects, so you may have experienced next day effects, but I don't think that is common.

I'd be interested in seeing FK levels.

At the end of the day, I'm not too concerned. Just thought it was interesting. I'm working on a Solomon Islands cultivar that will knock your socks off. Noble chemotype, low FK, and about 8.5% KL.

ApéroNoble

The d'Artagnan forum 4th Kavateer
@ObiNouekFoNobl So these quotes are posts that were referring to the Solomon's? I don't see any reference to it. Also if we're fully subscribing to the acetone test, noble kava that is spiked with tudei isn't orange, it's just slightly darker yellow. To spike it with enough tudei to make it orange would surely change the chemotype, but this chemotype is quite low in DHM, pretty high in kavain, and with reasonable noble levels of DHK. It's a very common noble chemotype all around.

Of course different drinkers experience different effects, so you may have experienced next day effects, but I don't think that is common.

I'd be interested in seeing FK levels.

At the end of the day, I'm not too concerned. Just thought it was interesting. I'm working on a Solomon Islands cultivar that will knock your socks off. Noble chemotype, low FK, and about 8.5% KL.
"but I don't think there are any tudei cultivars growing in the Solomon Islands."
not to Nakamal at Home per se, I posted those up as they came to mind as discussion upon seeing your post

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
I recall Lebot saying a noble vanuatu cultivar was brought to Solomon so they could have a good kava.
Here's his quote: "the only P. methysticum cultivated in the Solomons, is as far as I know, Borogu (syn Borogoru) originating from Pentecost Island, Vanuatu."

'as far as he knows', the only noble there is a known noble. So I guess that doesn't account for what might be there that he doesn't know about. but what is known, is that the majority of kava that was growing there was wild or stripped from the land in the past.

Personally, my experience with the mythical magical N@H Solomon was somewhat of a let down, relative to my expectations. To me it was nice, clean and mild feeling. Not remarkably potent or tudei-ish. In fact, Borogu is what it seemed pretty similar to. But then again, I've been drinking a 254xxx tudei with aerial parts included, every now and then...it was one of the weakest kavas, with no negative or next day effects. o_O

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
Just to let everyone know, there is a supplier of kava that sells a lot of Salomon's Island kava and even he admits that there is tudei kava there. It is a known fact that they had tudei before they got the kava cuttings from Vanuatu, so there is both Noble and Tudei kava there and that means there is a very good chance for them to mix the 2 of them like they do in Vanuatu. I have heard numerous reports of tudei effects after people drink Salomon's Island kava, my brother being one of them. The test results also show it to be mixed with tudei. It is possible to mix enough to show a good chemotype and still show the adulteration in the color metric test. Some batches might have more noble kava than other batches and that could be why some do not get the tudei effects all the time. I know a kava vendor here in Hawaii that goes to great lengths to add just the right amount of Isa to his Hawaiian kava so that it adds a kick but not too much to show up on the chemotype. The good think is that I got this vendor to stop selling the Isa because it will soon be against the rules of the codex and Hawaiian kava will be in the codex, Isa will not. Aloha.

Chris