What's new

Kava Wash (1st, 2nd 3rd)

WakaGrade

Grog 4 your Nog
I've heard people referring to doing 1 or 2 kava washes? If you do the first wash right, does the 2nd wash really matter? If so I have been wasting a ton of Kava.

Also what I have been doing as far as making it is, letting 3 tblsps soak in water, I strain and wrap root up in a cheese cloth ball and I just press it down into the bowl of liquid then squeeze cheese cloth into bowl. I do this about 20 times. I've definitely been having some stellar kava sessions so I must be doing something right, but can anyone recommend a better way or does what I'm doing sound about right?

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
I personally like to make my second wash immediately and mix it in with the first before drinking it. I definitely find that method more potent. I mix them together because I find the second wash to be markedly less potent and not a good way to "re-up" the kava experience, so I mix it together to make sure both doses are equally potent.

I find that by the third time it is very watery and thin and not worth the effort and the extra liquid you have to drink.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
I also make my 2nd wash at the same time as my 1st. But i put it in a separate container and use much less water. Typically when im done drinking my 1st wash...im too lethargic to be bothered with wringing out any more, even if i want it. So I already have a low-tide shell ready to go...

Ed!

Kava Enthusiast
I make my second wash on a separate occasion. Unlike my first wash I used hot hot water, nearly boiling. That was the single most revealing kava prep experience for me. By using hot water I get a lot of the resin out that I wouldn't have been able to with a cold water extraction. That second wash is very close to the quality of the first one in effects. Third washes haven't been awesome for me, so I tend to toss the root after that.

Ecto

Train by day, Kava by night....All day
Ed said:
I make my second wash on a separate occasion. Unlike my first wash I used hot hot water, nearly boiling. That was the single most revealing kava prep experience for me. By using hot water I get a lot of the resin out that I wouldn't have been able to with a cold water extraction. That second wash is very close to the quality of the first one in effects. Third washes haven't been awesome for me, so I tend to toss the root after that.
Thanks for the hot water tip. I normally make my first wash and drink it as I'm letting my second wash soak. It's kind of hit or miss for me with the second wash being potent or not.