What's new

Kava suitable for anxiety issues, but W/O feeling like "stoned"

kl.Diego55

Kava Curious
Hello,

I have been struggling with social anxiety/social
phobia, GAD  and depression for  many years. In the present situation,  my anxiety level is through the roof  and the phobia
literally controlling my everday life. Most of the day I feel very
anxious (also without any reason at all), with no
energy, no motivation and I also feel tremendous internal pressure and all this leads to unpleasant  discomfort.

I
would appreciate it, if you could  according  to your experiences advice
me some of the most potent types of kava (especially for someone who deal
with anxiety daily),  but without any drunk feeling, or feel foggy, cloudy in head and other things
like that ! I ofen feel
anxious when I driving ( mostly durng rush hour) but I need to have clear head and to be able to keep my eyes on traffic. But it would be much more pleasant to feel calm and relax during these stressful situations.

Please give me me some suggestions for powdered kava as well as for instant kava.

Thank you in advance for any advice you can provide !Michael

Vekta

Notorious Lightweight
Review Maestro
If you need to drive I'd recommend you try Paradise Hawaiian for root powder. In my experience with it, it's well balanced and potent enough in the right places. I have been using kava to help cope with social anxiety among other things for about two years now. What works for me may not fit your needs. But I think Paradise Hawaiian is a good starting point.

I use a ratio of 2 tbsp root in 10 oz. of water. Try it without driving first and keep in mind, even if it doesn't effect you that much now it may later so a trial period is in order. Go through 1/2 lb bag of that or whatever kava you end up getting and then see where you are.

kl.Diego55

Kava Curious
could you please provide me with a website, where I could order Paradise Hawaiian root powder ? ... I sill have not been able to find it

kl.midas

Kava Enthusiast
Diego55 said:
could you please provide me with a website, where I could order Paradise Hawaiian root powder ? ... I sill have not been able to find it
The paradise kava website is at http://www.paradisekava.com/ also check out bulakavahouse, nakamal@home, and kavabyrex, you can't go wrong with any of those. It sounds like you're looking for a kava that's high in kavain and low in DHM/DHK (the stuff that makes you groggy). I think bulakavahouse's Fu'u and KavaByRex's Tongan Pride would be good choices too. I second what CocoKava says also, meditation has helped me with my anxiety too.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
It's looking like you're searching for the pharmaceutical benefits from kava without the normally sought after effects of a daily kava drinker.

I would suggest Gaia Herbs - Phytocaps

Found here:

http://www.gaiaherbs.com/products/detail/269/Kava-Kava-Root

Usually you can find this product at whole foods, or any health/natural food store. Gaia herbs is a very well established brand and yes, they do use quality kava in their caps. You wont get any sedation from the caps as long as you take them as directed on the bottle. This dose of kavalactones is the dose found to be as effective as popular prescription treatments for generalized anxiety disorder.

Of course this hasn't been evaluated by the FDA, but if you search online you'll find a good bit of information related to the studies which have shown effectiveness.

Vekta

Notorious Lightweight
Review Maestro
Ah yes, kapm makes a good point.

Generally, taking kava to help cope with social anxiety is approached differently than drinking kava because you like kava. I've even found this while doing research for college papers.

According to what I have found in those studies a dose as low as 70mg of kavalactones can (read- may) be effective. In general I've found a minium does of around 120-150mg every 2 or 3 days to work reasonably well. Coincidentally Paradise Kava had (or has) a kava extract that has an exact dose of 120mg per serving.

Your average shell may contain roughly 250-500mg of kavalactones if I remember that right. In no accurate and scientifc way whatsoever I would estimate that per bowl of kava that can be as much as 1000-2000mg (assuming you made kava with 16 oz. of water/ four, 4 oz. servings) With any luck you can get to a point were one shell will be all you need for a week or so. This will allow you to make a 1 lb. bag of kava last up to 4 months with room to have a shell or two here and there just for the enjoyment of it. You would even have some room to share with friends once in a while if they're brave enough.

kl.sakamoto

Kava Curious
Be very careful about taking kava just before driving. I never do so, even though I stick to lower levels of kava consumption in general.

Personally, I prefer to "be anxious" during a drive, and keep some Nak@Home Fire Island Instant mixed up in a Green Tea bottle for when I get there.

Consider talking to some kind of therapist (cognitive-behavioral maybe?), they may be able to give you some mental exercises to help you get through the day (i.e. catching your anxiety before it starts, if that's the issue). If not, a psychiatrist may be able to prescribe something. For what it's worth, any insurance you may have is more likely to cover therapists and psychiatrists than kava. And for some conditions, kava will not solve all problems by itself.

KeepOnKrunkin'

Kava Enthusiast
Vekta said:
Ah yes, kapm makes a good point.

Generally, taking kava to help cope with social anxiety is approached differently than drinking kava because you like kava. I've even found this while doing research for college papers.

According to what I have found in those studies a dose as low as 70mg of kavalactones can (read- may) be effective. In general I've found a minium does of around 120-150mg every 2 or 3 days to work reasonably well. Coincidentally Paradise Kava had (or has) a kava extract that has an exact dose of 120mg per serving.

Your average shell may contain roughly 250-500mg of kavalactones if I remember that right. In no accurate and scientifc way whatsoever I would estimate that per bowl of kava that can be as much as 1000-2000mg (assuming you made kava with 16 oz. of water/ four, 4 oz. servings) With any luck you can get to a point were one shell will be all you need for a week or so. This will allow you to make a 1 lb. bag of kava last up to 4 months with room to have a shell or two here and there just for the enjoyment of it. You would even have some room to share with friends once in a while if they're brave enough.

I suspect the quality of the kava used has a lot to do w/ the level of anxiety reduction.

Paradise Kava

Honolulu, HI
Kava Vendor
Something with a high level of kavain sounds suitable since it does not allow for that low end feeling kava can give, but generates a more light and euphoric feeling.

our kava extracts and Hawaiian powder would qualify from the store.

Truth be told, a health lifestyle starting with cutting out caffeine ( was a big one for me) and sugar and adding exercise that works up a sweat along with what was already said, adding activities to calm the mind like meditation, yoga and my personal favorite, Tai Chi Chuan, are all better helpers than kava alone. Also Lets not forget that BIG one; adequate hydration with good clean water!

All the best to you, be safe out there!

AG

D

Deleted User01

I agree and would add that the high fiber will help you combat the high cholesterol that some people (like me) experience with Kava.   Honestly, with a diet high in beans, whole grains, fruits (skin on), and Veggies, I doubt that you will need any other supplement to keep your digestive tract moving (at a rapid pace).

D

Deleted User01

LOL  I have always been regular as rain.   But when I'm on a high fiber low fat diet, I sometimes wake up at 4:30 in the morning to take care of business.  You all may want to consider my world famous beer and peanuts diet.   It's a whole lot easier to stomach than a 25 gallon enema.  But seriously folks, get into the Lentils, Beans, Whole Grain Rice and Bread, Corn, Peas, Apples, High Fiber Snack Bars, and other veggies.  Either that or risk being chased down the neighborhood by some guy driving a truck attached to a High Pressure Enema Tanker.   Yipes ....

KeepOnKrunkin'

Kava Enthusiast
Believe it or not kava (the real stuff not the kona crap) helps a lot w/ relaxation & sleep...much better than narcotic sleep meds or alcohol.  I can't wait to try the Fiji stuff.  I wonder if kava could be applied transdermally for a much longer effect???

I