What's new

Kava strains with high levels of 3 and 6

Kava strains have a unique chemocode that looks something like 423165 or 463251. These codes identify the levels of the 6 major kavalactones by their order in the sequence. A chemocode that starts with 4 has a greater concentration of Kavain than any other kavalactone, a chemocode starting with 6 has a greater concentration of Methysticin than any other kavalactone, etc.

The first 3 digits of the chemocode tell you most of what you need to know about the strain.

So, my question is: can anyone recommend where to purchase strains that have the highest levels of Yangonin (3) and Methysticin (6)? Strains with codes that start like 634, or 623.

Thank you for any advice.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Kava strains have a unique chemocode that looks something like 423165 or 463251. These codes identify the levels of the 6 major kavalactones by their order in the sequence. A chemocode that starts with 4 has a greater concentration of Kavain than any other kavalactone, a chemocode starting with 6 has a greater concentration of Methysticin than any other kavalactone, etc.

The first 3 digits of the chemocode tell you most of what you need to know about the strain.

So, my question is: can anyone recommend where to purchase strains that have the highest levels of Yangonin (3) and Methysticin (6)? Strains with codes that start like 634, or 623.

You can find that info on the link below;

schlepner

As a kava noob, wondering what effect/ feeling/ outcome you are chasing with your search?

faldho

Kava Curious
Correct me if i'm wrong, but I don't think you can find any Kava that has 634 or 623 at the start of their chemotypes.
In my notes i've encountered only chemotypes that start with:

So I would say you're best chance is to go for a chemotype that starts with 463.

EDIT: You could try Fijian Loa. Here's a good review https://kavaforums.com/forum/threads/fiji-loa.4831/

Last edited:

Lenticels

AluNaw
"Strain(s)..." I cringe whenever this word gets thrown around. They're cultivars, or blends of said cultivars.

Anyhoo, you should bear in mind that COAs (of which chemotypes are generally inextricably linked to, of course) tend to unfortunately have many shortcomings, which makes prognosticating the effects of a given cultivar somewhat hit-or-miss.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but I don't think you can find any Kava that has 634 or 623 at the start of their chemotypes.
In my notes i've encountered only chemotypes that start with:

So I would say you're best chance is to go for a chemotype that starts with 463.

EDIT: You could try Fijian Loa. Here's a good review https://kavaforums.com/forum/threads/fiji-loa.4831/
Thanks for the recommendation. As chance would have it, I purchased some Loa Waka not long ago and made my first batch this very evening. I haven't tried it yet though, so fingers crossed for the best results!

Lenticels

AluNaw
It is my understanding that Yangonin (3) has a positive effect on the endocannabinoid system, and Methysticin (6) has a positive effect on the GABA system.
Methysticin's pharmacodynamics extend to having some voltage-gating inhibition (along with kavain), and some NRI activity, too (again, along with kavain), although kavain's activity in these respects is higher than that of methysticin... methysticin is unambiguously a "duller" KL.

Also, yangonin does potentiate the GABA-A receptor, as well: five out of six main KLs do (only DMY doesn't).