What's new

Kava Babies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner
Just got back from the Big Island a few days ago. While there, a friend gave me a few newly rooted kava plants. I'm really excited to see if I can start a small indoor collection, and also try to keep one alive at the Bula Kava House kava bar. I have a couple Nenes, and a couple Mo'is.

I have a small walk-in greenhouse that I'm setting up in a spare bedroom at home. I have a south facing window that should provide enough sunlight, even in dreary Portland. It helps that kava doesn't like much direct sunlight anyway. Hopefully the greenhouse will help create a little higher temperature and humidity.

I was having a hard time figuring out how to showcase plants at the bar. Obviously I can't set up a greenhouse, and I think kava would have a hard time potted by a window, especially a very young plant. I decided to try a closed terrarium. Terrariums are enclosed ecosystems with hands off water and nutrient exchange. Simply add a little water every three months (Fully sealed terrariums sometimes never need added water). This will have to be temporary because even with regular pruning, the kava will outgrow the terrarium pretty quickly. The hope is that at that point, the plant will be strong enough to survive being potted indoor.

I'm glad to be able to help customers find a better connection to what they're drinking. Our 10 year anniversary is in March 2021. How cool would it be to drink kava from the plant that everybody watched grow for 2 1/2 years?

Whatever happens, it will be a fun little experiment. I'd like to get a few more plants if these don't die. It would be super cool to have one from every kava growing region.

Anyway, check out the pics. The pot is the temporary home until I set up the greenhouse. The sphagnum is because I have one Mahakea cutting that I'm hoping will root.
20181202_132124.jpg
20181202_132115.jpg
20181130_113351.jpg
20181130_113327.jpg
IMG_20181128_221840_880.jpg

Last edited:

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner
Update: The Nēne in the terrarium isn't too happy, but I'm hoping it comes around. I talked with a kava farmer friend of mine who told me that the lack of air flow could be an issue.

The four other plants are looking great. I feel like being by a south facing window in a Pacific Northwest winter provides the right amount of sunlight. I just have to keep the temperature and humidity right. Got my mini greenhouse set up and the kava Babies are growing fast.

Repotted in Smart Pots with a combination of coconut coir, potting soil and chicken maneuer mulch. Hard to get a sense of scale from these pictures but everything has approximately doubled in size.
20181214_173510.jpg
20181214_172736.jpg
20181214_172720.jpg
20181214_172708.jpg
20181214_172702.jpg

Last edited:

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
Looking good. I've got a similar set-up goin'...only one plant is still growing though, because just about every issue that can arise, has arisen, and still more issues continue to arise.

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner
Looking good. I've got a similar set-up goin'...only one plant is still growing though, because just about every issue that can arise, has arisen, and still more issues continue to arise.
Yeah, it's early. I definitely don't think it'll be smooth sailing until they're ready to be harvested.

Yours is indoors? Trouble with pests? Fungus?

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
Yeah, it's early. I definitely don't think it'll be smooth sailing until they're ready to be harvested.

Yours is indoors? Trouble with pests? Fungus?
Outdoors, which definitely contributed to many problems. You should have an easier time keeping them inside, cuz pests were a major issue, still gotta be careful with the watering, temp, humidity and nutrients which have all proven to also be delicate and troublesome aspects. I got a humidifier, small fan and heater and hooked 'em up to an automated control switch...still needs a lot of monitoring though cuz the temps and humidity fluctuate a lot in SoCal. I think I've learned enough with this batch, that my next group will be more successful...assuming I can keep my healthy-ish plant alive through this winter. ::kavaleaf::

Intrepidus_dux

Kava O.G.
That looks great. I wonder if the plants can grow to maturity in a greenhouse? Oh, and what about your carpet with the humidity? Will it end up rotting?

Intrepidus_dux

Kava O.G.
Ah yes I didn't thing about the growth and roots! This makes sense. Maybe if you feel like it, you could make some kava bonsai plants then.

Status
Not open for further replies.