What's new

Is it worth it?

kl.Jerome

Kava Curious
Hey everyone.  I've noticed the paradise kava is about twice the cost of most of the cheaper kava's out there.  Would I be wrong to then assume it is twice as good?  I recently ordered some of the Hawaiian batch but would love to hear a bit about how everyone feels about this "premium" kava.  Is it worth it?

Thanks much,
Jerome

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I don't really purchase too much of their powdered kava. Kona kava ruined Hawaiian kavas for me by taste. Their Fijian kava is a very strong kava. My evidence to kava strength lies in the amount of resins I have build up on my filter media and my nitrile gloves I use to squeeze it with. My gloves are blue and they are usually completely green by the time I'm done squeezing out a batch of Fijian. Good stuff. Highly recommend.

Now, where paradise really excels are the extracts. They don't taste bad, and they work. Something you have to chose either/or with normal kavas.

uuku pi

Kava Enthusiast
I think it is worth it. I wish I had more money to spend. The taste alone sets it apart from others. I find I have to use less powder to water for the same result. Some kavas that are less money and work ok ...well.. they just taste so bad. I started with kona kava which tastes bad to me and does not work (for me) at all at normal (reasonable) dosage. So ..next I tried all Paradise had to offer. The Isa I tried knocked me down for days. Some people like this result. The regular Hawaiian is wonderful. The Fijian I tried was so good I have been waiting for more for a while now. I have been trying the cheaper ones and I must report the smell and taste are decidedly inferior. HOWEVER I am going to try a few more because they are so inexpensive and I wish total Knowledge for myself,but not before I reward myself with a pound of Fijian at 10% off. Also am going to get a very small amount of the 9 year isa to keep around in case I need to check out of my life for a few days. I have nothing negative to say about anything Adil sells. It all is top drawer !!!

krunkedout

Kava Lover
I for a long time have felt this way and it kept me away from paradise kava. However, do to the rave reviews of the Fijian, I have just placed an order and am excited to see what the hype is about. Just to be safe I ordered a pound of boroguru from BKH as well because it's tried and true for me. Once I get me Fijian I will report back with my opinion and if it's worth the price.

Paradise Kava

Honolulu, HI
Kava Vendor
Uuku Pi, you made my day brother. Thanks for appreciating the effort behind the quality. Cheers! - Adil Ghiasi

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
I found the extract to be quite good, though I haven't tried any of their powdered kava. And  I must commend them on their shipping. Having never ordered anything internationally (or at least involving a cross-ocean flight as the case may be) I was impressed with the speed.

kl.pep4848

Kava Curious
See i'm the opposite and have tried both extract and powder, but find the powder works great, whereas the extract doesn't do to much. I like to buy a pound  of the 9 year root to have around, but usually use Kava by Rex as my regular stash as it is a bit cheaper and works good.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
pep4848 said:
See i'm the opposite and have tried both extract and powder, but find the powder works great, whereas the extract doesn't do to much. I like to buy a pound  of the 9 year root to have around, but usually use Kava by Rex as my regular stash as it is a bit cheaper and works good.

I really do feel like kavalactones build up our reverse tolerance based on our preference to kavain vs DHM. For a while I couldn't feel the extract all too well. I started drinking a higher kavain content kava and all of a sudden the extracts were flooring me nightly. Kava is fickle. Some cultivars effect us differently based on what we're accustomed to.

kl.Jerome

Kava Curious
See I love hawaiian kavas. I much more prefer them to the other island's brews. I'm eagerly expecting my half pound of Paradise Hawaiian tomorrow and I'll be giving it a try as soon as I open the box. Unless of course the fishing is good! Thanks for the feedback.

By the way, Kapmcrunk, instead of the Kona Kava product, you would have had a different experience if you had gone with the Hawaiian kava center's varieties (especially the moi). Also some of the hawaiian roots that the Fowlers sold on the Nuka Hiva site were wonderful... Thats where my love for the hawaiian roots really started! They had one years back they called a purple moi' which was the best kava I've ever had.

kl.Jerome

Kava Curious
Just opened up and brewed my first few bowls of the paradise hawaiian kava powder. 

You know that little bit of bliss you get when the smell of a freshly opened bag of great coffee fills your nostrils?  Thats about the same sensation I got when I opened up this bag of hawaiian kava.  Smelled like island dirt... moist, woody and powerful. 

I made a rather weak batch with about four big scoups and a cup of luke warm water.  Wrung the hell out of it for ten minutes and had a shell.

This is how I remember that good kava should feel.  Very heady, very euphoric, and surprisingly tasty.  This is why I like good hawaiian kavas!  Much more complex in my opinion than the overly powerful Tongan, Papua New Guinean and Fijian powders.  Very spiritual if I may say without sounding too much like a flower child! 

Superb root and definitely worth the extra cash.  Kava this good will go a long way so you're probably saving money anyways. 

I will definitely be a repeat customer of paradise!

kl.pep4848

Kava Curious
that's interesting kapmcrunk, and something i might explore...just drink high kavain kava's and then see if the extract works. I really want it too, as it's easy and doesn't taste as bad, so i'm hoping this might be the formula for success.

kl.Jerome

Kava Curious
Still loving it. Any chance you guys would consider offering your hawaiian roots in a chopped up lateral root package like kava kauai does? I love chewing the roots when its more convenient than brewing a big bowl.

kl.grudge

Kava Curious
Just another echo of the popular opinion, Paradise Kava may not be the cheapest but:

1) Powdered Kava quality is top notch - I have tried both the regular Hawaiian & the (old) Fijian and they are both fresh, strong & pleasant tasting in their own ways (yep Earthy is a good way to describe that smell)

2) The CO2 Kava extracts (I have tried all but the coconut, even the double strength) are truly innovative non-solvent (the ONLY way to go, INMHO) kava concentrates and they are strong & perfect for travel/emergency kava.

3) Paradise Kava actively supports research in the safety & properties of Kava, something that is greatly needed in this FUD filled world. I don't know of anyone else who has actually has had their kava tested in any capacity.

4) It is a backed by a real person who actively posts on this board, just check and see who fits this description (there are a couple) and you will find out who I order regularly from.

In short for things I put in my body, I don't mind paying for better quality - two big thumbs up for Paradise Kava.