What's new

I Quit Drinking Kava until liver function test. Update:bloodwork is normal

Status
Not open for further replies.

verticity

I'm interested in things
Well the phenytoin sodium (Dilantin) is for epilepsy. It is metabolizd by the liver but it isn particularly taxing. I don know about the rest.

I dunno. I guess that Iĺl know in a few days.
Phenytoin + kava is actually something I, as a non-doctor, would advise caution about:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cytochrome_P450#Drug_interaction
"A classical example [of Cytochrome P450 Drug interaction] includes anti-epileptic drugs. Phenytoin, for example, induces CYP1A2, CYP2C9, CYP2C19, and CYP3A4. Substrates for the latter may be drugs with critical dosage, like amiodarone or carbamazepine, whose blood plasma concentration may either increase because of enzyme inhibition in the former, or decrease because of enzyme induction in the latter."

KrunkMunster

Kava Enthusiast
I certainly wouldn't get worked up about it being your liver until you get a test. There are many things that can cause abdominal pain. Maybe it's a hiatal hernia, or maybe you pulled a muscle. Point is, you are just guessing and when you try and diagnose from google, you are bound to come up with a worse case scenario. From what I can tell from reading numerous threads on this topic, most people who get liver tests after drinking kava have great results.

verticity

I'm interested in things
I certainly wouldn't get worked up about it being your liver until you get a test. There are many things that can cause abdominal pain. Maybe it's a hiatal hernia, or maybe you pulled a muscle. Point is, you are just guessing and when you try and diagnose from google, you are bound to come up with a worse case scenario. From what I can tell from reading numerous threads on this topic, most people who get liver tests after drinking kava have great results.
"Google-itis"

chandra

Kava Enthusiast
I have a hiatal hernia. It is very painful when it acts up. As for neurotin, I take it with kava and have no issues, but I don't think it controls more severe cases of epilepsy very well. Not sure, since I take it for fibro. There is something that controls seizures that doesn't have drug interactions. It's called cannabis. The oils without thc in them are legal anywhere in the U.S. The jury's still out on whether or not my daughter has possible seizures, and I wouldn't give her dialantin or oxycarbezine unless all other possibilities have been exhausted. Hers, (whatever they are) aren't that severe either, though.

euphoricme

Kava Curious
I have a hiatal hernia. It is very painful when it acts up. As for neurotin, I take it with kava and have no issues, but I don't think it controls more severe cases of epilepsy very well. Not sure, since I take it for fibro. There is something that controls seizures that doesn't have drug interactions. It's called cannabis. The oils without thc in them are legal anywhere in the U.S. The jury's still out on whether or not my daughter has possible seizures, and I wouldn't give her dialantin or oxycarbezine unless all other possibilities have been exhausted. Hers, (whatever they are) aren't that severe either, though.
Well... For me Dilantin completely controls my epilepsy and it has very minimal side-effects (that is - once your bones are developed). Yes you can probably hit Google and find people that have had any and every body organ fail as a result of taking it but those are like... Well, they are as statistically significant as the 4-5 people that have had actual kava-related liver problems.

Smoking weed actually makes my epilepsy worse believe it or not. I get "twitchy" when I smoke it, which is odd because 99/100 days I have absolutely no epilepsy problems at all (and when I do its a finger twitch or something in the morning) and nothing else seems to really trigger it. People react differently to different substances I suppose.

I wouldn't want somebody that wasn't fully grown to take Dilantin though as it has some pretty weird effects on bone growth. Edit... other than bone loss, which I forgot about :-/ I guess that is significant lol.

I've been on the stuff for 15 years (high dosages as well) and haven't had any problems from it thus far, and I end up with the odd Xray every other year or so for whatever reason.

Last edited:

violet

Do all things with love
There are reported reactions of cannabis with seizure medications, particularly cbd oil and seizure meds. This is something known and discussed pretty extensively among parents who add cbd to their child's epilepsy treatment regime.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
There are reported reactions of cannabis with seizure medications, particularly cbd oil and seizure meds. This is something known and discussed pretty extensively among parents who add cbd to their child's epilepsy treatment regime.
Is that a common reaction?

violet

Do all things with love
I'd have to dig up the specific med and reaction, but yes it's very common with kids and when adding cbd the levels of med often get monitored and cbd has to be given at least 2 hours apart from epilepsy meds. Cannabis can also increase the level of chemo drugs in the bloodstream via CYP 450.

chandra

Kava Enthusiast
If your blood work came back normal then your liver is fine. Sometimes with that kind of pain they can't find anything wrong. Sometimes I get incredible pains from my stomach to my back and my nether regions. Like literally fall over in the floor pain. The doctors told me it was from having children. Some type of muscle thing. Sometimes the answers to what's causing pain are weird, and sometimes you never get any. You just have to figure out what makes it better or worse. I hope your ultrasound goes ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.