What's new

Powdered Kava Review Honokane Iki

Steve T

Kava Enthusiast
This is the first GHK kava I have tried. I was experiencing debilitating effects from other kavas over the past few months, including hangovers, GI problems 24 hours after consumption, jitteriness and uncomfortable feelings the next day, and so forth. It got so bad that I made an urgent doctor's appointment recently, but my tests were fine. As soon as I switch to Honokane Iki, all these side effects go away!

First night: 1 tablespoon, very mellow and pleasurable effects.
Second night: 2 tablespoons, similar effects, zero problems.

Based on my past experiences I have been extremely careful not to drink sediment. I also mixed in way too much water with the first 2 batches, and filtered the micronized with a stocking as well -- all to avoid sediment. I'm starting to think this isn't even necessary, and that I just found a well-made, normal kava, and I could toss and wash this. So the purity and care put into the kava is most important to me.

Third night: I drank 3.3 tablespoons of this over 4 hours, heightened relaxation and general enjoyment throughout the evening. Deeper into the sessions I get some cold flashes, muscle relaxation, giddiness, which indicates to me that it is working, since the taste is so mild with little numbing. Basically I am feeling good, no anxiety, no side effects, but I am mentally functional and not plastered. In terms of taste it is very easy to drink, and I would say this particular micronized is 2.2x stronger than a medium grind of other kavas I have tried -- which also means that price-wise, there really is no reason to buy medium grinds anymore. By the time I go to bed I am relaxed and ready to pass out, but not in an exhausting way. Zero negative effects the next day.

As far as euphoric positive effects go, I haven't taken it to the "next level" yet, but I am sure I would be in for an amazing evening. I look forward to removing my cautious attitude and consuming the same amount in 1 hour, not worrying about the sediment, maybe increasing the dose of this kava, and being at ease.

Anyway I am sold on GHK for a long time, and if this kava didn't work I may have even quit kava permanently due to the issues I've had.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
HI Steve T, I am glad you like the kava, my micronized is not like other micronized, I do not just take the root and grind the heck out if it till it is micronized, that grinds up all the fibers that are traditionally thrown away, my process takes this all out before being micronized so you do not have to worry about the bad sediment, it is the best micronized on the market and I have other steps in my processing that makes it even better.
I have been researching ways to make kava better for over 24 years and I even invented the process for making "Instant Kava" many years ago and not look at how many people make instant kava. I will still match my best instant with any other instant and mine will come out on top.
I know how to make it good and I know how to make the micronized so it is easier on peoples GI track. Remember in the old days they would strain all the course fibers out, that means they do not want to drink the fibers, so I process my micronized that way, and in my instant there is absolutely no fibers at all and my medium grind has the fibers but you use a stocking or strainer to get it out so it is not in your drink.
Let me know if you have any questions about the different grinds or the processing. Aloha.

Chris

TidyMinion

Kava Padawan
Not sure how to really describe my "reviewing" session of the Iki a while back with words other than this...it made an average weekend night feel like a holiday. With all of the warm energy emitting from your chest like you may feel around the good-vibes of a holiday gathering. I'll be a return customer on this one. A unique experience for sure. Nice review, not too many reviews like this one that covers multiple nights, not a bad idea as sometimes it takes a few days to really latch on to the effects of a certain kava.

Steve T

Kava Enthusiast
I should also mention that it's not solely the "micronized" aspect of the kava which sat well with my body, though I am very impressed with the micronized grind.

Last night I had 7 tbsp of Pala Ele Ele medium grind. Similarly, I had no hangover, no negative effects. So it definitely is the care to put into the product.

D

Deleted User01

Dude, the GHK micronized pretty much rocks. I keep expecting that I will pay the price for doing Micronized because it is a cousin to toss and wash but nada. Bottom line, the vendors processing technique makes all the difference. He farms it, he harvests it, and he processes it so nothing gets away from him. So now do I start chanting USA, USA or do I wait for the World Cup?

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
Hi everyone, remember I go through great lengths to make sure my kava is the best. I know that traditionally the kava drinkers in the Pacific areas would always strain out the course fibers from there kava. I do this in my processing of the micronized and the instant. My medium grind has the fibers but you use a strainer to get the coarse fibers out, this is what you want.
Most people that sell micronized kava does not take out the course fibers, they grind these fibers into the fine powder, these fibers should be thrown away, they should not be consumed because that is how you get some of the effects you might not want, like the dermpothy and even nausea.
I grow and process the best kava in the world, I guarantee it. (y)
Aloha.

Chris

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Hey Chris, could you define what you mean by fibers? It looks to me that kava roots are fibrous all the way through.

D

Deleted User01

Oh boy, here comes another 12 page lecture with a pop quiz for tomorrow.:rolleyes:

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
Hey Chris, could you define what you mean by fibers? It looks to me that kava roots are fibrous all the way through.
Hi Kapm, if you look at the roots here in this picture I will describe what you see and what is going on.---

The picture shows a lateral root that was cut so you can see the end section. You can see a star in the root, what makes the star is the thin, tough fiber that would be strained out of the kava drink.

If you look at this picture you will see me holding the actual thin, tough fiber---

Everything in the later root is good to use except this thin, tough fiber. This is what gets strained out and thrown away, there is starch and other softer root structures but the fibers are what is thought to be responsible for the dermapothy (spelling?) This tough fiber contains mostly DHK and DHM. That is why when the Ni Vanuatu or the people of Vanuatu pound there fresh root the strain out these fibers and the drink has all the good stuff. If the kava is dry then it is mostly a medium grind kava and again they strain the course fibers and throw it away, it is these fibers that is what I showed you in the picture, they are tough and hard to grind. In most micronized kava where they just keep grinding it through a smaller and smaller screen this is grinding the bad fibers you actually want to throw away.
Im my processing I take out these fibers before I process it the rest of the way, that is why my micronized and instant is better and that is why you do not really get the bad effect from other micronized, like the dermopathy or the nausea.
I drink all my kava and I like to drink good kava so I grow good kava so I can drink good kava. (y) I also like to share it with people everywhere to they can see what a real good kava from Hawaii can be like. :hungry:
Aloha and enjoy some good Hawaiian Kava.

Chris

D

Deleted User01

Kapm, tell us how that compares to what you have in the Freezer? I wonder if you could invent a device to core out that little star. Like you do with apples.

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
Chris, that was an awesome explanation. You should really take that post and use it to make a new thread for a Kavapedia article. It's extremely informational. The dermopathy part is an added bonus for me.