What's new

Have a few specific questions

DerekT

Hi all, I'm new to Kava. I came across this when searching for a natural muscle relaxant to deal with anxiety and day to day stress. I bought an instant Kava product from bula kava house. Before I attempt to use it, I want to ask a few questions.

I've seen some refer to kava as giving them a high. I'm not an alcoholic drinker or drug user so I'm not looking for a natural get my high/buzzed product, I'm looking for a get my mind of the negativity and let me relax more product. Is this in that boat? Also I've have bouts with a tachycardia issue in the past. Are there any side effects that affect with the electrical impulses of our heart? Also are there any side effects with penicillin type products as I'm taking some now to battle an infection. Lastly as I stated I bought the instant mix from bula. Is this a noble type of the plant or the more potent version? Sorry for all the questions but I just wanted to get more clarity but I experiment with it. Thanks.

Pink

Kava Curious
penicillin is usually blood thinner if im not mistaking-so would be good idea to finish your schedule before taking kava kava.
There are some topics on people having increased BP or unregular heart beat.
if not sure you can always consult your MD,but chances are slim he/she will have any idea what kava kava is.

as for what you got instant is really one of the best choices to get started-takes minute to prepare and effects are instant,like muscle relaxation,promotion in sleep and mood.
as for high side-it depends whats high for you.since kava kava has its unique way in person seeing and feeling different-effects range from experiencing colors and surroundings better,enjoying music more,and feeling good for the short duration,but none would consider it high,its more like if you overdo it,you might feel sorta sick or nauseous like alcohol-only difference it lasts short while.it works different from person to person,and while its possible to get sorta drunk on it,but high is like having too much of alcohol and feeling nauseous.
Only thing you can be sure to it if you will like it,its not addictive,so don't put much pressure on yourself looking at it, as some sort of high drug.
And to finish start at around 1-2 heapfull spoons and try it out and see how it works for you,since many have to overcome reverse tolerance before it really kicks in to feel its benefits.

DerekT

Thanks Pink I really appreciate the advice. I figured my doc wouldn't know what it was or tell me to not mess around with it.

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner
Hi all, I'm new to Kava. I came across this when searching for a natural muscle relaxant to deal with anxiety and day to day stress. I bought an instant Kava product from bula kava house. Before I attempt to use it, I want to ask a few questions.

I've seen some refer to kava as giving them a high. I'm not an alcoholic drinker or drug user so I'm not looking for a natural get my high/buzzed product, I'm looking for a get my mind of the negativity and let me relax more product. Is this in that boat? Also I've have bouts with a tachycardia issue in the past. Are there any side effects that affect with the electrical impulses of our heart? Also are there any side effects with penicillin type products as I'm taking some now to battle an infection. Lastly as I stated I bought the instant mix from bula. Is this a noble type of the plant or the more potent version? Sorry for all the questions but I just wanted to get more clarity but I experiment with it. Thanks.
Hi Derek, Judd from Bula Kava House here. First off, kava is an intoxicant. Whatever word you want to use doesn't really matter. It has noticeable physiological and psychological effects that change the way you feel. People started drinking kava in Vanuatu thousands of years ago for the same reason people started drinking alcoholic beverages, smoking marijuana, and chewing coca leaf; It made them feel good. That being said, the big differences between kava and most other intoxicants is that 1. It is not chemically addictive, and 2. It does not negatively affect mental cognition.

Kava is also great for some people for relaxation, pain relief, reducing stress, and insomnia, among other things. This was realized a long time ago in kava drinking cultures, and also more recently in western natural medicine. That is why kava is so sacred to so many people. Not only is it a nice way to hang out at the end of the day, but it can also be very helpful if someone is suffering from certain ailments.

As for contraindications and heart rhythm interference, I haven't heard of any cases, but I'm not a doctor so I won't tell you that there's no chance. It's just not my place.

I really think you'll love the instant. It is made from 100% noble kava, and is one of our best liked and highest reviewed products.

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro
You'll definitely be able to enjoy anxiolytic and muscle relaxant effects with kava. Be aware that Reverse Tolerance is real and it may take you a while before you become sensitized to the real effects of it. It took me about two weeks of regular consumption before I really had what I think would be called a true kava experience.

There are "heady" varieties and "body" varieties. It sounds like you'd benefit more from the "body" varieties that don't change your perception as much. That said, anxiety is a mind-body issue and so a little of each is good. Once you're sensitized, you'll want to adjust the strength of the kava you drink (easy with instant!) to find the right level of relaxation.

I think you're on the right track with kava as a solution for your described issues.