What's new

Greetings from stressful Phoenix

Hello folks,
I am hoping I have googled my way to a group of folks whose expansive knowledge might be able to help me cope with some of the worst anxiety I have known. I don't want to jump on the therapy sofa here, but let's just give a tiny background so you might be able to direct me to a use of Kava that is as beneficial as it appears may be available.
I am in my mid thirties, and have been riding the corporate express train for the past 10 years. Two months ago, I jumped off. My wife and I (with a 16 month old son) purchased a mildly successful business. I have gone from a 6 figure income, to an incredibly modest one. I knew things would be challenging, but we prepared with drastic changes in our spending, a large savings account, a well funded working capitol and I am in fact making the income I planned on make and the business is growing healthy as I planned.
I have always suffered a little from anxiety, but holy crap, I never planned on this! I go through major anxiety phases...I won't call them "attacks", because I don't think that's actually what's happening. I just get wrapped up in all the responsibility and let the fear of failure take over and it sucks...big time. I am normally a pretty happy go lucky guy, with a solid sense of humor and tons of supportive friends and family. But this venture was a big leap of faith, and occasionally it becomes a little over whelming. I don't "self medicate" aside from the occasional beer, and a fair bit of good coffee.
So, my google adventure for anxiety and stress wandered it's way here. I can tell now that I am not looking into getting into the "creative preparation" of Kava, at least not at this point. But I am curious as to if some form would be of assistance in relaxing me when the anxiety of owning a small business becomes a little overwhelming. What do you guys/ gals think? Am I close to a potential solution or am I chasing a unicorn that can only be caught with some stupid prescription pill for anxiety (which I have no interest in).

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I'm no clinical therapist, but it sounds like you're suffering from an overload of anxiety caused by your new situation and stress related to it.. You absolutely can use kava to help you get ahold of the anxiety, so yes. You're definitely in the right place. Kava has an almost mythical ability to keep your anxiety in check far into the next day after drinking it. Have you tried kava before? It's ability to not only relieve psychological stress, but physical stress as well. My generalized anxiety symptoms are what brought me to kava. Looks like you're among very like kind here.

Thanks Kap. No, I have never tried it before. Honestly, my coping method now is a deep breath, a prayer, and a "what the hell are you freaking out about" though process...which sort of works. I am looking trying this out with a 50g order of GHK Mo'i Instant. Good jumping off point?

Yes, I have been up and down the FAQ and wiki. I can deal with taste, and I will give it a steady try. I'm planning on forcing a few minutes a day of meditation too (never even considered it), but I need to make some changes or I'll have a heart attack before I'm 40!
I will keep digging around the site. Thanks!

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
I would recommend the sample pack from GHK, and obtain some kind of strainer (I like fijian strainers but you can also use a variety of household items, nylon stockings etc).

I'm quite fond of meditation as well, I recommend The Relaxation Response for a non crazy introduction to meditation that will also explain the physiological and psychological benefits.

BULABUCK

ROOTLYFE.
WELCOME.Dirt4dinner . I would say moi can give a little anxiety to me anyway i would suggest mapulehu . Or nene for anxiety . Also a Micronized its stronger if u can get it down but ur name is dirt4dinner so u maybe good:D.

Hyperion

Kava Enthusiast
Welcome aboard, Dirt4dinner. As a long sufferer of stress and anxiety, I can say that I believe so called 'panic attacks' are common when your anxiety is bad enough. I have had many of them. I had one once in the middle of an important meeting. I had to actually get up and just walk out because I felt like I couldn't breathe. It's terrible.

Kava has helped my anxiety a lot. It's not a miracle, I mean I still suffer with this, but it's much easier and I haven't had one single real panic attack since I started drinking kava, 4 months ago.

2Intense

Kava Enthusiast
Welcome, you are at the right place. This group has a ton of kava and overall knowledge. It has guided me well.

I am a little further down the life road than you, so I can totally relate....GAD, Kids, had a high paying job - own my business now and I love coffee! Here are some thoughts. The "keys" to health! Maybe I should write a book - Oh, I think it has been written! 1) Eat well - in shoot cook. 2) Exercise daily - find what works for you. Too much exercise is as bad as none. I've been there too. 3) Sleep. Invest in a good sleep system. The previous 2 steps help here, along with Kava and getting sun exposure during the day. 4) Work at relaxing. Sounds like a paradox, buts it' true. If you have anxiety issues then you have to work at the "chill". Meditation.....breathing....praying.....strolling....yoga. Again find what works for you.

I would also recommending cutting off coffee after lunch. I find kava every other day works for me. Currently, it's Boroguru. Very nice.

Jade

Love. Like. Crazy.
I have dealt with anxiety for much of my life but never panic attacks until recently.I was going through a very stressful time and the panic attacks became so severe I couldn't function.I had to lay in bed for much of the day. Couldn't sleep much though.Really thought I was having a nervous breakdown.It was horrible. I don't like taking physically addictive substances as I have that history.The doctor prescribed some other non-addictive medications and they didn't really help.The SSRI I was prescribed I think compounded the problem and made it worse.So I quit it.(But let me say SSRI's work for a lot of people and the one I was on may have been wrong for my chemistry.So not saying that it won't work for some people.Just didn't for me.)The thing that really helped me was Nene. The only thing that really helped.It shocked me and gave me a whole new appreciation for kava.I took it in micro in small doses of afternoon/evening and larger doses at night to help me rest.It works wonderfully at night for me to sleep.It didn't take away all of the anxiety but did bring it down quite a bit so at least I could a have a few hours of relief.It really impressed me. There are others that are good for anxiety too.You might have to try several before you find what works for you.Different kavas work differently with different people's chemistries. I try to live healthier.Take care of myself.I drink fresh juice some and that helps.
Wishing you all the best.

D

Deleted User01

I can't believe I missed your post @Dirt4dinner. Been there and done that. I ended up downsizing my business in much the way you escaped from the rat race. One day, my blood pressure was registering 140 when it should have been 110. Holy shit batman! I did my research and settled on Kava. There are so many little things that you can worry about that you shouldn't worry about. Kava helps take your mind off those niggling little thoughts. Mapulehu from GHK is a mild sedater. I would do Nene for sleep and the calming after effects you feel the next morning. And the coffee tastes really good the next morning. You can do teaspoons of a high kavain Hawaiian Kava in the afternoons to lift your spirits and get you to the finish line.

One more thing, you are a smart guy and a hard worker and anything you do is going to succeed. Just be very conservative with your spending, sip on your Kava, and you will live a much longer life then your ex-rat-racers.

Big time thanks gang. I just got my Kava in the mail! Now I need to figure out what to do with it. Smells like all hell! So what are my options for mixing this power with? Water, coffee, tea, juice....does anything help?

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Start with water, and have a chaser ready (juice is best). What kind of kava do you have?

There are many ways to prepare kava: http://www.kavaforums.com/forum/wiki/kava-preparation/

You'll need a strainer for powdered root. Simplest way, I would take about 4 tbsp and put it in the strainer, put that in a bowl of 2 cups of water (this is just a guesstimate, you need enough water to knead effectively but after that it's just personal preference), then knead it for about 10 minutes. Change the water and go again for 5 minutes if you feel up to it.

Well, I did one tablespoon in apple juice and then about 30 minutes later a half tablespoon in fruit punch. I didn't feel anything to crazy, but I am feeling relaxed and very ready for bed. Which is a welcome sensation, normally at this time of night I just feel the unavoidable urge to work, and guilt if I don't. So, maybe this is the treat I've been after. I could also be getting the "reverse tolerance" thing, so we will go another round tomorrow evening. The fruit punch was better, but I also only had half the Kava. I think drinking two glasses with less kava may be better. The slight taste of the powder actually didn't seem horrible, but the full tablespoon was super nasty! I never felt any stomach issues, or weirdness at all, which builds some confidence in it. I'm stoked to try another drink tomorrow. Cheers!!!