What's new

Gonna have some kava tonight, any suggestions?

So I just got some kava in the mail, this will be my 4th Kava experience.

I could not find soy lecithin anywhere(I will probably have to order this online?), So I bought a chocolate bar that said it contained soy lecithin, and melted it in water, i'm going to add this to my kava brew in the hope that it will work.

Now, I only have 4 ounces of kava, so how much should i use?

can I re-use kava that I have already strained and squeezed out to make another kava drink?

Any Suggestions are helpful!

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Oh, don't bother yourself with the soy lecithin if you don't have any. No need in melting down that chocolate bar. Even people who swear by it say it only increases potency very slightly.

I believe the first question is; What kind of kava do you have there?

My intake usually has me making around 2 oz of kava for every 1 3/4 cups of water I use to knead in. It generally nets me about 10 oz of bitter kava.

And yes! You can re-use the kava once more and still get a good wallop out of it....of course this directly depends on what kind of kava you have.

krunkedout

Kava Lover
Where did you buy your kava? And yeah don't even worry about soy lecithin. But if you are dead set on buying some than check out a gnc or health food store

D

Deleted User01

I wouldn't throw it away.  If this is your first time then you need to experiment anyway.  Make strong Kava.   2 cups of Kava to 8 cups of water.  You can use coconut water to hide the taste.   You may not feel the effects the first time  but you will as you progress.    No matter what anyone says, you need to knead the Kava for at least 5 minutes. If you got chunky Kava, the blender can help break it up.  I use a nylon grain bag that we use to brew beer but there are plenty of people who use nylon stockings, cheesecloth, socks, you name it.  Knead and squeeze, knead and squeeze.  And don't use hot water.  My 2 cents.

kl.midas

Kava Enthusiast
Most people on here had a bad experience with kona (i.e no real effects) but there are at least a couple of posters who actually found it decent. So you never know, you might be one of the lucky ones who reacts well to the stuff. If nothing else, it will help you overcome reverse tolerance (if you're not already past that).

I don't think lecithin made any difference for me. I think the idea behind that is that kavalactones are fat soluble, so adding a fat source helps with their extraction. If I'm right on that, then using cows/rice/soya/hazelnut milk instead of water should work equally well. The consensus on here seems to be that the whole thing is unnecessary though, and that water alone will suffice.

it's not kona, i got it from a botonical site before finding this website, but from what i heard its poor quality, its not even a Powder persay, i am having trouble with nausea, any suggestions for that?