What's new

Kava Botany Fijian Kava Cultivars

Kava Time

Fiji
Kava Vendor
Below are pictures of all the 13 kava varieties available in Fiji. Check it out. I managed to get these pictures off the Ministry of Agriculture after so much persuasion and reminders. Government officials i tell u!
Varieties.gif

As @kasa_balavu mentioned in earlier posts, its very difficult to get a specific variety of kava from Fiji. The Fijian government through The Kava Act 2016 is trying to push for labeling of the kava exported from Fiji. They want at least the region where it came from (Taveuni, Savusavu, Viti Levu, Vanua Levu, Kadavu) and the variety (out of 13 above) to be labeled before being exported. This is an almost impossible feat to achieve, mainly because the farmers are mixing up the names of the cultivars they grow in different regions and most are ignorant of the variety and only know that it is 1 thing (yaqona). They dont separate varieties which is why most Fijian kava vendors will have blended Fijian cultivars. The only place which seems to have some consistency is in Taveuni. It probably must be the same case with other pacific countries if they are selling on a commercial basis (get whatever noble variety and just keep planting).

We have established a strong working relationship with a few sensible farmers. Basically as my first check i would ask if they know the variety of kava being grown and then ask them to show the plants to me when i visit. Its a stringent check which at times has backfired on me because farmers really dont care about the variety and know that if i wont buy, some other middle man would at a near price so they just get impatient. There has been a major power shift from Buyers to the farmers after the cyclone in Fiji and due to the heavy demand some farmers have developed an attitude despite how polite you are with them. Competition in Savusavu (the most desired location of kava in Fiji) is so tight that if someone were to pay eg $75/kg of waka and have it loaded on their truck and within the same time another buyer comes and offer $80/kg, the farmers will just return the money from initial buyer, offload the truck of their harvest and load it onto highest bidder's truck. Its that bad!

The quality of kava is still there, but there is a lot of moisture content when buying. This means that if you buy waka for $75 a kilo, with the weight loss in drying to process into powder could end up costing you about $95 - 100 per kilo. Anyways, from my personal observation, most farmers have plantations with mixed cultivars and they mix it with harvest depending on maturity. Its pretty hard to get it separated but at least with educating them, they are able to advise whats the most significant of the variety they harvested when they send their harvest to me in Nadi for processing. I have to place a higher bid than the average market price to compensate for the farmers inconvenience and secure their harvest because middle men are ever ready to go directly to the farmers house in the interiors to collect the kava whereas i ask them to pack and send the kava over after we have gone through the selection process. Kava being sold from farm-gate is really going to the highest bidder now, which is why im amazed as to how some vendors are keeping their prices so low. Im sure the operating expenses in US are way higher than Fiji and 3PL services combined!

Anyways this was just to provide some insight on the varieties available in Fiji, whats happening with your favorite kava and a bit of my operations.

BULA!

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
I love those pictures, thanks for posting them. Can you tell us how big the kava gets in Fiji? What is the largest kava you have seen and is it common to have a lot of big kava plants or are they just a normal size. Also what time do they harvest, at 3 or 4 years or do they let it grow longer. How much kava do you get from a normal 3 or 4 year old kava? Sorry for all the questions. Thanks and aloha.

Chris

Kava Time

Fiji
Kava Vendor
There is one place where the kava grows massive! about 12 feet long roots that the biggest i have seen. Pic below. These roots sell for a premium but are very rare. Some cultivars grow thicker roots but arent as long as one pictured Usually the kava is planted in mass scale and harvested just in time so that the farmers make some money out of it (maybe 3 years to the very least). The oldest i have seen gets to about 7 years - the more rare ones. The most available ones grow maximum of 3-4 yrs not longer than that. A 4 year old harvested plant in Fiji gives about 3 - 4kg of purely dried roots and between 2 - 6 kg of lawena depending on cultivar

13331124_1031587293603702_3151591176510754884_n.jpg

kavamehameha

Magnum's 'awa drinking bird
Wow, what a beauty. Thanks @Kava Time for sharing the photos and informations. It really takes a long time and effort to get a bag of root powder from a kava plant.

Are there any connections between the cultivars from Fiji and from other islands in the South Pacific? I mean, are the 13 Fijian varieties all growing in Fiji naturally or are there reports that some of them came from other places or crossbreeded with already existing ones?

Kava Time

Fiji
Kava Vendor
Wow, what a beauty. Thanks @Kava Time for sharing the photos and informations. It really takes a long time and effort to get a bag of root powder from a kava plant.

Are there any connections between the cultivars from Fiji and from other islands in the South Pacific? I mean, are the 13 Fijian varieties all growing in Fiji naturally or are there reports that some of them came from other places or crossbreeded with already existing ones?
There is 1 particular variety which came from Hawaii. It was called honolulu back then because thats where it was brought from but over years transformed into a fijian name and now is referred to as "Yonolulu". Our beqa's sanctuary consists primarily of this variety.
Im not sure of the main historical part of which kava varieties came from where but i do know that we only love our fijian kava's and dont prefer any other country's. In fact the government has actually stepped into the kava industry because of exporters importing vanuatu kava and exporting it labeled as fijian kava. This pissed off our main government officials because they consider vanuatu kava to be low grade stuff and dont want any Fijian name associated with it as it tarnishes our rep.

Last edited:

kavamehameha

Thanks for your answer! I noticed "Yonolulu", which immediately reminded me of Honolulu - so this is no coincidence then. ;)
I guess in the end it's not quite clear or even investigated which kava varieties originate from which place... But that would be interesting to know.

Are there even any kava varieties from other countries which are grown on Fiji, or is this something Fijians wouldn't drink anyway?

Kava Time

Fiji
Kava Vendor
Thanks for your answer! I noticed "Yonolulu", which immediately reminded me of Honolulu - so this is no coincidence then. ;)
I guess in the end it's not quite clear or even investigated which kava varieties originate from which place... But that would be interesting to know.

Are there even any kava varieties from other countries which are grown on Fiji, or is this something Fijians wouldn't drink anyway?
As far as i can tell, all varieties have been exclusively grown in fiji for decades now. we havent invested time and effort into getting other countries kava strains to be grown into fiji except for that 1 time in the past when hawaii was made an exception. probably because people saw huge kava plants in hawaii and thought maybe fiji needs them to get better yield. But we dont use fertilizers here so the plants dont grow as big as it does in hawaii, which is a good thing though because its 100% organic. And theres never a chance of tudei being grown in fiji soil.
But overall we are just plain happy with the kava growing here and dont need to get outside cultivars.

kavamehameha

But overall we are just plain happy with the kava growing here and dont need to get outside cultivars.
That's awesome. You really can be satisfied with the variety of cultivars growing on Fiji.

By the way, do you know which of the cultivars are more heady or heavy? Do Fijians in general prefer heady or heavy kavas? I only know of quite heady Fijian kava, but that might not be a general rule.

Kava Guru

There is one place where the kava grows massive! about 12 feet long roots that the biggest i have seen. Pic below. These roots sell for a premium but are very rare. Some cultivars grow thicker roots but arent as long as one pictured Usually the kava is planted in mass scale and harvested just in time so that the farmers make some money out of it (maybe 3 years to the very least). The oldest i have seen gets to about 7 years - the more rare ones. The most available ones grow maximum of 3-4 yrs not longer than that. A 4 year old harvested plant in Fiji gives about 3 - 4kg of purely dried roots and between 2 - 6 kg of lawena depending on cultivar

View attachment 7158 [/QUOTE

Hey @Kava Time . Where is this place where Kava grows massive? That's amazing!