What's new

Ensuring the quality of kava?

kl.kavakavakava

Kava Curious
It seems to be that the main factor of hepatotoxicity in Kava is not the method of extraction, however it is the quality of kava. As in, that the kava does not contain any content from the stem of the plant, and that it is not mouldy. (Im basing this off of all of the studies and reviews I have read on the hepatotoxicity of Kava)

How can I ensure the quality of product received from a kava vendor?

Andrew Procyk

Noble Kava
Kava Vendor
Good vendors will have tests performed on every shipment of kava they get. My understanding is that FDA requires a certificate of analysis on every incoming shipment of a nutritional supplement as of 1 Jan 2013. This can be avoided if the exporter does some shady labeling - but I can assure you everything we have is tested.

In a nutshell, the stems and leaves will have more of the larger, undesirable molecules (DHM, etc.) as well as the possibility of other compounds, alkaloids, etc. there is the belief that the larger molecules are more cumbersome for the liver to process, and that is what may cause the damage, which is why "noble" varieties have nigh levels of kavain, a very small molecule comparatively, and others.

That said, some people seem to like the long-lasting effects of tudei or Isa or wild kavas, which is non-noble. Isa in particular was introduced to Hawaii by Dr. Lebot. When I last spoke to him, he said he brought it there insisting it was for research only. Apparently, it grew so much faster than other noble types that sellers saw money, and ignored his warnings. That said, if I understood him correctly, Dr. Mattias Schmidt does not necessarily think there is anything wrong with consuming non-noble kavas - but don't quote me on that. I have found that non-noble varieties tend to have more of a piney, evergreen-type smell than the creamy or peppery smell of the nibles. Of course, the "smell test" is not as accurate as a lab test, but I have found that the more piney smelling the kava, the more likely I will get nauseated. (and nausea is also generally a sign of the larger kavalactone molecules.)

I will be meeting with Dr. Lebot next month, and doing some filming for a documentary, and will be sure to get his thoughts and the details on that, and many other common questions about kava, in an accessible video format. In the meantime, if you are concerned, I would stick to noble variety kavas that have had confirmed NIRA testing on them to ensure chemotype. Reputable vendors should have no scruples sharing their test results. I'm looking to scan and post mine shortly, but have been really busy lately, but can promise you everything we have at Vanuatu Kava Bar/Store is "All noble, all the time."

Hope that helps! Cheers!

Alez!

~AP

kl.kavakavakava

Kava Curious
Can these lab tests ensure that there are no mould hepatotoxins in the kava?

Can they ensure that the kava is not low quality, and that no other kava plant part rather than to chemical solvents is in it?

Can they ensure the kava is peeled rhizomes and roots of a non-mouldy noble kava cultivar?

Thanks for the help btw, I really appreciate it! /domain/bypass/images/clap.gif​

Andrew Procyk

Noble Kava
Kava Vendor
The different parts of the plant have different levels of kavalactones.  If the NIRA chemotype shows that it is a noble variety, it is unlikely that anything but below-ground roots were used, as the concentrations of different lactones will differ in the different parts of the plant.  Chemotype is genetically determined, and regardless of where the plant is grown, soil, etc - chemotypes will be stable for varying organs of the same cultivar. That said, the lateral roots vs. chips or "stump root"  (kava does not have true rhizomes) will show different chemotypes for the same cultivar, but should demonstrate noble in both organ areas.)  The NIRA will also give you the total lactone content of the plant, which is a measure of quality along with chemotype.  Generally, the older the plant, the greater the concentration of lactones. 
Mold is usually a problem in the drying process - kava will dry partially and get wet again in the rain, or upon harvest will be kept in conditions that can allow it to grow before proper drying.  Our processors have built a completely enclosed drying system where sun-warmed air circulates over the kava on screens, and ensures that not onlt is it virtually impossible for any rain to fall on it, but it is totally enclosed from direct sun as well, which I understand can lower lactone content.
HPLC can show whether or not there are other contaminants in the plant.  As far as Vanuatu kava goes, the trouble of getting pesticides or fertilizers to outer islands would most likely not be worth the return for the marginally greater growth of the plants.  Additionally, the purity law as written prohibits use of any inorganics in growing kava for drink and export, but it has been tabled, and there are stories of some exporters shipping out tudei kava.  From Vanuatu, I'd venture say that getting non-noble kava would be a much bigger concern than contaminants. 
With our operation, we know the growers, fields, and we obtain the root-balls delivered  in one piece in our processing facility - so we know very well that there are no above ground parts used.  Our state-of-the-art drying practices virtually negate the possibility of mold, and we have have never had a test show any contaminants whatsoever.  And again, all of our NIRA tests have consistently demonstrated noble kava types.

ObiWan

May the Brew be with you
For me, quality has also a lot to do with a constant high potency of the Kava. It should always come from plants that are grown for a few years.

My experience with the VKS is not the best. I ordered two times Malekula Magic, and both times it was a great Kava. Still he best that I ever had. It needed only little pressing to see dark clouds going out of the coarse grinded root into the water.  Sometimes only 5g in the morning were enough to make me crunk.

Later I ordered again. The last three Malekula Magic packages had very very weak stuff. It was hard to press anything out of it. I could use even 30g  and  felt nothing. I am in contact with other customers who had the same experience. A lot of guys wrote emails to Vanuatu but never got a reply.

My suspect is that their growers were overwhelmed by the request and delivered too young plants.

Thererfore my feeling is that the VKS has no quality control and does not take care of customer satisfaction.

Sorry, but I won't order again their stuff - neither from Vanuatu nor from any of their resellers in USA or Ireland.

kl.kavakavakava

Kava Curious
The main reason I'm asking this is because I plan on using Kava as a replacement for SSRIs in the treatment of GAD.

But before I make the switch I'll have to provide my Doctor with sufficient information to prove that Kava is safe for the liver.

Papakava,

What Im getting from your posts is that; if the Kava is tested it shouldn't have any mould or above ground parts?

So then if I provide my Doctor with the lab tests of the Kava then they should agree that it is safe?

How can I ensure the Kava Im getting is the same as thats being tested?

Thanks

Buddhacide

Kava Enthusiast
Re: Hepatotoxins - my understanding is that a few of the common lactones have been proven to be toxic in isolation - even those present in the lateral and basal roots. However, one theory suggests that the reason traditional drinkers dont get sick is because the root also contains a significant amount of glutathione which protects the liver. An assumption is that the people that got sick from kava were using extracts which isolated lactones from the rest of the plant. Now, obviously there are extracts out there that dont make people sick. And maybe the simple fact that certain lactones can cause liver damage in high amounts does not, on its own, mean that regular use will lead to problems. But its something additional to consider.

kl.kavakavakava

Kava Curious
Buddhacide said:
Re: Hepatotoxins - my understanding is that a few of the common lactones have been proven to be toxic in isolation - even those present in the lateral and basal roots. However, one theory suggests that the reason traditional drinkers dont get sick is because the root also contains a significant amount of glutathione which protects the liver. An assumption is that the people that got sick from kava were using extracts which isolated lactones from the rest of the plant. Now, obviously there are extracts out there that dont make people sick. And maybe the simple fact that certain lactones can cause liver damage in high amounts does not, on its own, mean that regular use will lead to problems. But its something additional to consider.
"Subsequent cases analyzed by the World Health Organization and published case reports revealed that traditional aqueous extracts used in New Caledonia, Australia, the USA and Germany may also be hepatotoxic"

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21801196

Buddhacide

Kava Enthusiast
Oh thats very interesting. Thanks, I was not aware of this study. The full report is here.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3269575/

Its an interesting finding. Its also essentially good news. Most natural products are dangerous if they become moldy. I had food poisoning recently from eating bad nuts. This would imply that if proper attention is paid to production that kava is perfectly safe - no different from many foods. However, I do question where he says that there is no good evidence to suggest that pipermethystine, flavokavain B etc... are not hepatotoxic. They may be isolated studies, but they do show the effect. Even kavain in isolation has been shown to cause problems. I dont think they can just discount all the previous science based on this assumption, which is itself not proven. But very cool hypothesis none the less.

Vekta

Notorious Lightweight
Review Maestro
Papakava's posts here would be great for the wiki. That was some insightful info totally worth referring back to many times in the future.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Added to "Comments on Kava Quality" page in Wiki under "Information", and I also added "research links" as well.
Kava Wiki

kl.kavakavakava

Kava Curious
I think the Acetonic & Ethanol Vs. Aqueous theory could still be true. Even though there were a few cases of hepatotoxicity in the WHO's review, they were much fewer then the other extracts, and the cases were much more minor (no documented liver transplant or death from traditional aqueous extracts) So its possible that the few minor cases with the traditional aqueous extract could have been caused by drug interaction.

Im surprised there hasn't been a review that has suggested this theory in review of the WHO's data