What's new

Kava Beverage Review Concentrate

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
I usually try to avoid using the review form for non-root products, since I don't think they can fairly be judged against each other, but I figured I'd try this time.

::kavaleaf::
First off, it should come as no surprise, Kalm Concentrate feels like the experience you get from Kalm's normal beverage.
The huge advantage to this product is the level of potency packed into smaller amounts. It allows you to quickly and easily consume as much as you choose, in whatever way you like. I should also state, I never used the product at the recommended ratio, 1:7.
I only used it by itself a couple times and I'd say the ratio was more like 1:3, so I could just chug it quickly. I'm not sure if this is recommended or not. I noticed the concentrated flavor is very strong(obviously), though tasty, but a bit overbearing for much repeated consumption. The way I was doing it anyway.

The effects are clean and heady, it gave me a bit of a giddy floating feeling in my head and made tasks seem more enjoyable to do. It's definitely not body heavy, and extract products rarely seem to be. I previously would have said the Kalm beverage isn't very sedating, but after about 2 ounces with the concentrate, I did notice there is a kind of sedation in there. It seems to come on more suddenly than normal kava, perhaps because of the added effect of the California Poppy ? Anti-anxiety is present but not extreme, it's normal and balanced. Not the strong anxiolytic vibe that makes you say 'I'm so relaxed, I just don't care about anything right now'. The overall potency at normal dosages is a nice middle ground, not too strong not too weak. As with most kavas that lean heavily on the side of kavain, my body seems to have ceiling as to how much it will effect me, and continued dosing still doesn't seem to topple me into "full-blast" mode....at least without the risk of completely sickening myself.

My most common usage of this concentrate, was to pour an ounce of it in my final (2nd wash) shell of the night, when drinking my regular kava. This makes the kava taste better, and also helped ensure the experience would kick into overdrive. Which it always did. I suppose I should have just put it into the entire batch.

Overall, I'd personally choose this over the regular Kalm beverage everytime.
It's a nicely sized, convenient and potent addition to any root head's stash.
::ricky::
Kalmcentrate​

Last edited:
D

Deleted User01

Nice review Shakas but please get off the wishful thinking about Poppies. :LOL: I would agree, why buy the regular sody pop when you can get the concentrate and "get 'er done". So my questions for you and the others would be: 1. How do you compare it to the effects and cost of Kava Kandy? 2. How do you compare it to the cost of powda or to be fair, instant Kava.

sɥɐʞɐs

Review Maestro
It's similar to kava candy in effect, but more potent. Kava candy could be seen as being even more convenient for some situations, since it's even smaller and not liquid.

Pretty reasonable cost in relation to powder, but I could never swap it out for powder long term.

No wishful thinking about the poppies, california poppy doesn't give you an opiate buzz. But, it is used for insomnia, and I think I could tell. kr@tom also gave me weird trippy dreams, sometimes when I wasn't even completely alseep yet. ::jawdrop2::

D

Deleted User01

Oh no you didn't. You didn't just say Krastom did you? So maybe you take a bottle of concentrate on your next camping trip. Just drink it straight. Any problems with drinking it straight up barkeep?

sɥɐʞɐs

Review Maestro
I actually meant to take it with me camping but it arrived the day after I left, luckily my ghk micro boro arrived before I left so I brought that. (y)
I was also wondering if there are any safety concerns or possible side effects about taking straight shots of it, due to whatever sweeteners or the poppy or something. I'm sure it would be fine for a couple, but I dont know about going up to 3 or 4+ ...being that each ounce it supposed to represent 2+ whole bottle of the regular stuff.

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
Great review, @shakas

I was just a bit surprised that you didn't feel too sedated. Perhaps it is because you mixed it with some other kavas? For me, this concentrate is a natural, liquid sleeping pill. I shared some with a few friends and we all felt very sleepy and sedated within 30 minutes.

sɥɐʞɐs

Review Maestro
Yeah, this and the regular Kalm don't really make me sleepy. I did feel it more with this one though, maybe because I could consume more of it faster. One of the times I tried it on it's own, I took a nap for two hours and woke up cozy like I could just stay in bed. Felt like I had a great nights sleep in only two hours. Other than that, there's no way for me to really judge how sleepy it actually makes me because I was always adding it to my last shell of a session...so I was already close to lights out by then. I think it made me hit the 'need to sleep' wall quicker, even though it was just around the corner anyway.

Kalm with Kava

Kava Vendor
Thanks for the comprehensive review as always Shakas! As far as drinking it straight up, there's no issues, it just may be a little sweet for most people's taste but we would recommend not going over 3oz. a day with the amount of kava extract packed in.