What's new

Canadian Kava Newbie

Kava_newbie

Mi Kava, su Kava
Hi guys and gals! New to the whole Kava experience, I just picked up a bottle of 60 capsules from the local health supplement store, which may or may not have been a bad idea from what I've read on the interwebs. I'm just looking for any advice you could give me on who I should order my first shipment of root powder from - I see a ton of different brands and websites to choose from.

I've been recently going through a bout of depression as well as dealing with a ton of stress due to a re-injured surgically repaired knee and lack of work because of it. Also I was drinking too much beer - which I have definitely cut back on.

Thanks in advance for any advice, tips and pointers you all might provide to me.

Also I think Health Canada has changed their ruling on Kava. But I can't seem to find a straight answer.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Hey man, there are several Canadians on here who may be better situated to advise you. One thing I've heard from them -- plan on long shipping times.

I would recommend any of the vendors on here, you really can't go wrong. If you're having trouble deciding, try one of the ones with sample packs -- Gourmet Hawaiian Kava is great. I recommend starting with strained root powder (see the Kavapedia for prep methods) before trying instants and other no-prep products.

Kava_newbie

Mi Kava, su Kava
Thanks guys. I'll take a look at the Kavapedia for sure. In the meantime hopefully a fellow Canuck will read this thread and give me a few pointers.

D

Deleted User01

Welcome to the Forum Kava_Newbie! Let me know if I can be of any assistance. I started with Kava Capsules and it might be a good way to dose your system and get over that Reverse Tolerance Thing. They are also portable which ain't all bad. I used to clip the tops off and squeeze the liquid under my tongue for faster delivery. There is a rumor going round that the Fresh Harvest Newsletter will be doing a Labor Day promo very soon so subscribe if you are interested.

ApéroNoble

The d'Artagnan forum 4th Kavateer
Welcome to the Forum Kava_Newbie! Let me know if I can be of any assistance. I started with Kava Capsules and it might be a good way to dose your system and get over that Reverse Tolerance Thing. They are also portable which ain't all bad. I used to clip the tops off and squeeze the liquid under my tongue for faster delivery. There is a rumor going round that the Fresh Harvest Newsletter will be doing a Labor Day promo very soon so subscribe if you are interested.
Whew I was just thinking if we get one more new member from Texas there could be ::ricky:: all over the place without their motorcycle helmets:ROFLMAO:

D

Deleted User01

Whew I was just thinking if we get one more new member from Texas there could be ::ricky:: all over the place without their motorcycle helmets:ROFLMAO:
Yeah, and more people running around with scissors too. Hey, it's dangerous living out here. :rolleyes:

Kava_newbie

Mi Kava, su Kava
Another question. So one would not recommend to simply mix the powder with water and drink the whole lot? As I understand you need to run water over and knead the powder using a screen - a couple of times to release the kavalactones.

for instance - mix two table spoons with a bottle of water and chug it.

Or is the whole point of kneading and filtering the powder with water due to the fact our stomachs can't digest the powder and absorb the kavalactones in it?

Kava_newbie

Mi Kava, su Kava
Oh I just read that micronized Kava is meant to just be mixed with water or maybe juice etc... Am i right?
So what are some of the other blends that require straining etc to be digested? Like I asked early why wouldn't a person does mix with water and drink the whole thing without straining?

Roaddog

Kava Who?
Another question. So one would not recommend to simply mix the powder with water and drink the whole lot? As I understand you need to run water over and knead the powder using a screen - a couple of times to release the kavalactones.

for instance - mix two table spoons with a bottle of water and chug it.

Or is the whole point of kneading and filtering the powder with water due to the fact our stomachs can't digest the powder and absorb the kavalactones in it?
Yes you can do that. Most of us strain, to reduce fiber, for keeping the upset stomach down, and to keep the kava itches (Or Dermopathy) at bay. But what your talking about is basically doing a toss and wash. Many folks prefer it. I do not. Try it both ways, see what suites you.

Oh I just read that micronized Kava is meant to just be mixed with water or maybe juice etc... Am i right?
So what are some of the other blends that require straining etc to be digested? Like I asked early why wouldn't a person does mix with water and drink the whole thing without straining?
With Micro, most do just mix the powder. I do strain, too, but that's just my own preference. You don't get much spent kava, with micro, so there is very little to strain. Much love. Roaddog....

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Straining not only gets rid of the fiber but also reduces side effects. Even after accounting for the nausea and the worst gas of my entire life, I just don't like the feeling of toss and wash kava vs. strained kava. Like roaddog said, it's up to you.

Kava_newbie

Mi Kava, su Kava
Cool. Thanks buddies. Trial and error it is. I will be ordering a batch of Micro powder from GHK within the next couple of days. Looking forward to the experience.

On another note, I've been opening the capsules I bought the other day and mixing with water. My mouth does feel numb as I swish and drink it. Does that mean it is potent enough, or is it a side effect? The health food store just got them last month, they are fresh. The brand I bought is "NOW" 250mg with 30% Kavalactones, if anyone has ever heard of them. But I do realize the potency is probably lacking.

Thanks again new friends.

Kava_newbie

Mi Kava, su Kava
Hey Deleted User01...these capsules I have are in powder form....30% Kavalactones.... The brand is "NOW" 250 mg. They also contain 100mg of ginseng but was told by the woman, who by the way was quite attractive, that ginseng is an energy booster. Any thoughts?

Vekta

Notorious Lightweight
Review Maestro
A little ginseng probably won't hurt anything. There are a couple products you'll find on this website that have a thing or two extra in them and it's fine for the most part. (mostly)

The kava purists in us though are inclined to tell you it's generally best make kava with just water. It's closer to tradition but some fruit juice or even a tad of ginseng isn't a sin.

Skywalker

Kava Enthusiast
Hey Canadian here too. Capsules are a joke, don't bother. Mayyybe they will help you overcome reverse tolerance sooner. Mayybe.

Read the info on how to use kava, it takes a while before it works.

GHK Micro is good, but don't use too much. Boroguru is always your best bet.

Kava_newbie

Mi Kava, su Kava
has anyone tried KAVA KAUAI powder? Here's a link to their website http://www.realkava.com/About-Us_ep_7.html

Also, what the heck is reverse tolerance everyone keeps mentioning, I can't seem to find an answer in any of the threads. I'm waiting on an email from GHK and still sifting through all the different products. I want to get the most bang for my buck, not necessarily the strongest, but a decent amount that might last me a while. Speaking of lasting a while how many tablespoons do you get out of a 1/2 pound of the powder?

Thanks again for all the advice guys.

DirTJerz

Error 404
Welcome, from slightly less of a newbie! FWIW, the only reason I'm into kava now is because the powder capsules I first got had an effect on me. At the time, I had no idea about preparation from pure powder, nor how potent it could be.

Reverse tolerance is just what it sounds like - the idea that at the beginning, it takes more kava to feel the desired effects, and over time, you actually need less. I'm not sure if everyone experiences this - not sure I really did.

Just a guess about Tbsp. in 1/2 lb., I'd say maybe 25? I'm sure someone else has a precise number.

Cheers!

Kava_newbie

Mi Kava, su Kava
Ok. So do most websites state if the kava is instant or not? From what I'm understanding instant is just mix and go - whereas the powder needs to be filtered/strained. Is that right?

Thanks for being patient with a Kava newbie!