What's new

Butane extraction

kl.Romore

Kava Curious
I have been trying loads of different kava extraction methods, including using a slow cooker and microwave. I have had some success but still not found anything that I am happy with or that is practicle to do. So my next ideas are getting a food dehydrator which I am tring to get my hands on for a reasonable price and I have seen something called a honey bee extractor which uses butane gas. My understanding is that the butane gas evaporates leaving the extracted oil behind.

Has anyone ever tried using butane in a kava extraction or know if it would work?

Also is it safe?

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I know vendors use supercritical CO2 extraction to make most of the extracts... QUALITY extracts on the market today. That being said using butane is a bit of the same process from what I can gather. I've not yet seen anyone use butane, but it makes sense that butane would be acceptable.

I'm very tempted to purchase an extractor from http://www.tamisiumextractors.com/

Just to try it, although a bit expensive for just a test.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I honestly think it would. Butane is used to extract lipids from botanicals, being kavalactones are lipids I think this would be perfect. The only safety issue with prep would be the obvious fire hazard. In terms of safety of the product you would have something between the safety of CO2 extract and consuming the root raw. I'm not sure what else would be extracted, but people who drink un-strained kava would be getting those too.

It's worth trying. I've asked questions like this but there's not too much knowledge out there about kava extractions with butane. However there is a hefty amount of info out there about "other" botanical extractions using butane that lead me to think it would work just fine.