What's new

Boiling ........

Cmessier

Kava Enthusiast
So there still seems to be a lot of debate over boiling. Seems the consensus is that it destroys some active chemicals, but releases others? Does everyone agree on this?

The less i have to use, the less money I have to spend. My wife has been supportive of my kava use but did remark last night that it's becoming a drain on the budget. I'm not ashamed to say I like to get krunked, so I use a lot. 2 shells doesnt do it for me. My main kavas I've been using are Nangol Noble from BKH and Borogu from KWK. I like the Nangol a little better, I think, because it can really knock me on my butt. I wouldnt want to change the effects so I am hesitant to boil it. The last thing I want from my grog is increased energy or faster thoughts.

Anybody tried it both ways from the same root? Any good info?

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
It seems boiling is more potent yet more sedating so you seem to be in a quagmire.
The thing I don't understand is that you like being krunk but also like the energy ? Is this at different times ? Because I agree but I'm never really krunk and full of energy at the same time ?

Cmessier

Kava Enthusiast
Sorry if my post was confusing. I DONT want increased energy. I want it to slow everything down and relax me.

If boiling is more potent and more sedating thats exactly what Im after.

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
Ohp. I read wrong!!!!! Lol

Okay yeah boiling will work perfect for ya then

Stay on LOW! And just gently heat it up . Never let it get to a rolling boil.
Then add to strainer let it cool down and knead it like usual

Reactions: EQ

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
I wouldn't say there is any consensus about how boiling impacts the kavalactone content. Most of the internet says heat destroys kavalactones (true, heat destroys everything) but I would say our experience on here is that boiling is more potent but also results in a very bitter, goopy drink. Give it a try. The worst case is that you are out a couple tablespoons of kava.

Last edited:

kavayo

Kava Enthusiast
So there still seems to be a lot of debate over boiling. Seems the consensus is that it destroys some active chemicals, but releases others? Does everyone agree on this?

The less i have to use, the less money I have to spend. My wife has been supportive of my kava use but did remark last night that it's becoming a drain on the budget. I'm not ashamed to say I like to get krunked, so I use a lot. 2 shells doesnt do it for me. My main kavas I've been using are Nangol Noble from BKH and Borogu from KWK. I like the Nangol a little better, I think, because it can really knock me on my butt. I wouldnt want to change the effects so I am hesitant to boil it. The last thing I want from my grog is increased energy or faster thoughts.

Anybody tried it both ways from the same root? Any good info?
Per shell cost is cheaper with instant for KWK. And it hits you way harder (getting krunk faster) but fades maybe a bit quicker. I hear it fades quicker but for me it doesn't. It hits hard and lingers for a good long time.

GussWest

Kava Enthusiast
From the opinions I've gathered here, I think the happy medium is to use trad prep or aluball to get most of the starchy stuff out; then, boil prep the collected makas.

chandra

Kava Enthusiast
This what I do. I do a good first wash with my kava. Then I boil it. This way you get the most out of your first wash, and then boiling it gets out what is left. When you boil it bring it to where it is barely bubbling and stir constantly. Then strain it and squeeze it really well. I know if I boil mine (even after one or two washes) and let it sit a layer of oil forms on the top. I am assuming this is kavalactones. So my suggestion is use it to the point where you would normally toss it, and then boil it. I don't get as much effects from boiling it as i do my first wash, but certainly enough to make it worth the trouble.