What's new

Blue fingernails

Squanch72

Kava Vendor
Does anyone here know if kava can cause blue fingernails? I read that one of the cause of blue fingernails is use of sedatives and benzos. A

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Over a decade of drinking kava nightly and I've never seen my nails turn blue. If that happened I think I might actually go to the hospital thinking something seriously bad was about to go down.

rayken

Kava Enthusiast
I don't have Renaud's, well at least I don't think so, but I often have cold hands and feet. this is probably a result of being strung out often for no apparent reason. anyway sometimes when I take kava it can exaggerate the cold extremity feeling even though it makes me feel better.

Squanch72

Kava Vendor
Not sure if it is Renaud's or not. I think the combination of my migraine medicine and drinking lots of yerba mate was constricting my blood vessels too much. No fun being blue during the Holidays lol

verticity

I'm interested in things
Not sure if it is Renaud's or not. I think the combination of my migraine medicine and drinking lots of yerba mate was constricting my blood vessels too much. No fun being blue during the Holidays lol
I hope you saw a doctor already, but if not you should:

"Blue fingernails can be a sign of various disorders and should be checked out. Very cold temperatures can temporarily slow the flow of blood through the skin leading to the bluish color, but this typically goes away when you warm up. In Raynaud's disease the fingers and toes blanch, then turn blue and may become numb or painful on exposure to cold. ... Blue fingernails - the medical term is cyanosis - can also be due to low hemoglobin, the carrier of oxygen in red blood cells. Normally, arterial blood is bright red, thanks to the oxygen it contains. Your skin color, including the skin under your nails, is a combination of your skin pigmentation plus the color of your blood. When oxygen levels decline, blood turns blue-red. Chronic cyanosis can be a sign of many different lung and breathing problems, including asthma, emphysema, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, chronic bronchitis and other respiratory disorders. It also can be a sign of a number of heart problems, as well as a response to high altitude and overdoses of certain drugs (narcotics, benzodiazepines, and some sedatives)."

Squanch72

Kava Vendor
Figured I would update. Doctor said it is just a bit of Raynaud's from the cold weather. I always have had cold extremities, probably just getting worse with old age, plus I have been drinking yerba mate and the caffeine effects Raynaud's too.
Maybe I am turning into a Smurf :)
Or a Snurf like Mr. Lahey
liqour snurf.jpg
liqour snurf 2.jpg