What's new

Best kava strains for alcohol withdrawal + insomnia?

kl.onepointnine

Kava Curious
Hey all,

Hope it's okay to post this in the main forum. A very close friend of mine has had some degree of insomnia - or at least, poor sleep quality/inability to sleep sufficiently long - for decades of their adult life. For some years - not sure how many, but probably a decade or more - they've self-medicated with alcohol to sedate themselves and induce sleep. They've tried different types and strengths of alcohol (beer, wine, spirits). Presently they use vodka. I'm not sure how much, but I have been concerned about the effects of nightly alcohol consumption and, as they expressed to me today, the risk of withdrawal if they transition to another sleep aid.

They're not entirely forthcoming about the nature of their sleep disorder, but I believe it has, at least in part, to do with an inability to turn their mind off, or even a perceived need to exercise some kind of mental vigilance and think about things and solve problems in their heads when they'd be better off sleeping. I'm not sure what else is at play. To the best of my knowledge, they don't drink in the day, save, perhaps, for an occasional beer on a hot day, or a beer or two in the evening after a long day's work.

I'd really appreciate your suggestions for kava strains for this friend of mine to try. They've never tried kava before (I don't know how they'd cope with the taste, the preparation process) - though perhaps it could be lessened it they could use it sublingually/chew on the powder and swallow (I find this method of administration at least as efficacious, more economical and easier in the taste department than a traditional water-prep).

But what I think might matter more than the taste, is the effect. Given what I've outlined (poor sleep quality, unable/unwilling to turn off a busy mind, years of self-medication with alcohol, some concern about withdrawal, etc.), which strains should I be looking for, for them? I'm assuming the very cerebral/high kavain varieties (like Fu'u) might not be a good choice. 

Please, let me know your thoughts.

Thanks!

D

Deleted User01

I would suggest buying the Kava Candy for starters.  This is an easy tasty way to check out Kava and a good way to dose  your body with Kavalactones (overcome reverse tolerance).    I recently bought some candy from moodandmind.com for 18.00 for 4 packages.  They have lots of other goodies for sale and I'm surprised they have never been mentioned here.  Then I would recommend a Vanatau type Kava like Koniak or Boroguru from Bula House.  Good price and good service.   Adding coconut water in lieu of water will help your buddy with the taste.  Sweet dreams (to your friend)!

infraredz

BULA!
After getting over the reverse tolerance like Deleted User01 described, I've found nothing better for insomnia than Stone from N@H.

I've found 'cerebral' kavas to be almost 'stimulating' in a way (of which Fu'u is one I've had this with), at least compared to something like Stone. It seems a high Kavain strain wouldn't be the best for the situation.

kl.onepointnine

Kava Curious
Hey guys,

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm not sure if my friend is so keen on candy - I could perhaps introduce him to a bit of BKH instant, though, as it's really quite mild in the taste department.

I've looked at Nakamal at Home's stuff before, but the annoying thing that keeps getting in the way is this: "WE NO LONGER SHIP KAVA TO CANADA." Ha. It's kind of weird; I've talked to them about using USPS instead of UPS (I agree with their point about excessive fees - UPS is ridiculous when it comes to cross-border shipping - and they've said when they've used the postal service, so many parcels to the, uh, great white north here, just vanish in the mail - which I can't quite understand, as everything from Bula, from KBR, which use the USPS, arrive just fine. I fail to see how tracked mail can not work for one company while it serves everyone else just fine...but enough of that rant, ha ha; maybe they can be convinced otherwise. Perhaps they've only used untrackable parcel mail.

Failing N@H, I would happily have 'em try something from Judd; BKH is excellent to deal with.

Cheers, and any other suggestions are still welcome.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
I've actually been having a little bit of BKH Instant before bed the last two nights. I guess it's more of a heady type but it doesn't seem to wind me up.

I've used kava as a sleep aid myself. One point to emphasize would be to not mix the two -- don't head for the vodka just because the kava doesn't work. I've found melatonin, unisom and blue light therapy to be effective as well as DHM type kavas (BKH Koniak is my current favorite). Alcohol is an insidiously shitty sleep aid because although it helps you fall asleep it reduces the quality of sleep.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
IMO since you can't get your hands on Stone (and its price is skyrocketing) I'd say Boroguru is your best bet if you decide to go with root powder.

kl.onepointnine

Kava Curious
Yeah, kavadude, I noticed how much higher the price of Stone is compared to good kava from other vendors. Yikes. Perhaps, then Boroguru...

I think I'm a bit of an anomaly, in that no kava strain I've tried has helped me sleep well - most sedating things will help make me tired and fall asleep - but not necessarily improve the quality of my sleep (though that could simply be unresolved life-issues at work, ha ha).

I told my friend that if he tries kava, he can't use alcohol. I would consider kava a vastly preferable sleep aid over alcohol for almost anyone, especially if it allows them to transition to it while reducing the likelihood of alcohol withdrawal symptoms in the process. He knows that alcohol doesn't exactly promote high quality sleep, and I'd be very happy to see him find something that works better. (Unfortunately, most traditional herbals - Valerian, hops, motherwort, passionflower, chamomile, etc. - don't seem to touch him, and nor do I believe he noticed much from melatonin, which is why I'd like to see how it goes with kava. The kava sold in health food stores here, I find, is basically junk - Gaia herbals (not that I've seen it in Canada) makes a decent extract, but here all I've found is a tincture that is very indistinct in its effect and highly uneconomical, and a standard 30 or 33 percent extract which is outrageously priced and does very little.)

He hasn't tried blue light therapy (neither have I), but Unisom would be out of the question for him - he is not the type to go for sleeping pills, even though he knows his current sleep aid isn't exactly ideal.

Thanks everyone, wish us/him success.

Best regards

KeepOnKrunkin'

Kava Enthusiast
Alcohol is a "insidiously shitty" substance for any purpose.  Kava is the opposite.  In areas (e.g., Vanuatu) where kava is the drink of choice there is a complete absence the problems associated w/ alcohol use.  I've never heard of "kava bar knock down drag out" fight.  Maybe a kava bar snooze out.  Also the lack of a hangover is really nice.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Sounds like you're already on top of everything then. I certainly have never felt much of anything from chamomile, valerian, etcetera and kava (real kava) can put me to sleep like a baby.

krunkedout

Kava Lover
I would say have him get a 100 gram tin of bula kava houses instant and start with that for the reverse tolerance and let him use as much as he wants and have a bag of koniak on stand by for when he finishes that and have him switch to that. Koniak is one of the strongest kavas out there in my opinion and almost has an alcohol like buzz to it and is fantastic for sleep.

kl.onepointnine

Kava Curious
Yeah, I had been looking at Koniak to try for myself to see what it's like, but got chicken about how strong it's supposed to be...but maybe we can split a bag, ha ha.

infraredz

BULA!
Boroguru seems to be along the same lines as Stone, but not as powerfully sedating in my experience (although maybe I just didn't use enough?).

Would anyone venture to say that Boroguru is very similar to Stone if dosed/prepared correctly?

I haven't tried Koniak so I wouldn't know about that one, all I hear is it's potent not really the actual subjective effects in particular.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
infraredz said:
Boroguru seems to be along the same lines as Stone, but not as powerfully sedating in my experience (although maybe I just didn't use enough?).

Would anyone venture to say that Boroguru is very similar to Stone if dosed/prepared correctly?

I haven't tried Koniak so I wouldn't know about that one, all I hear is it's potent not really the actual subjective effects in particular.
Yes, they are similar but stone has a "punchy" quality to it that really drives home. In my experience I've gotten the same level out of both, but stone just has that little extra. Probably the diamond dust they put in it for the price they sell it at.

kl.onepointnine

Kava Curious
Yes, they are similar but stone has a "punchy" quality to it that really drives home. In my experience I've gotten the same level out of both, but stone just has that little extra. Probably the diamond dust they put in it for the price they sell it at.
Ha ha.

Any decent kava can put me to sleep like a baby. I notice no diff with varieties what so ever, it comes on or I throw it out with me.

Kava can be a difficult mistress at best. Alcohol is a different teapot of eels, it's nice to drink & causes problems to some.