What's new

A few things I've learned as a rookie...

eyemgh

Kava Curious
First, unless the second 12 hours bring a major difference, both BKH Boroguru and Paradise Fijian, are pretty pure. Both are a 2 on Deleted User's scale, tending towards a subtle green. That's to my eye and my wife's, independent of my score. Both of us have lab experience. Basically our retinas are now colorimeters. :smuggrin: Uhhh...well not so much. The monitor has not been calibrated either. Suffice it to say, there's no red contamination in either.

Next, my extraction method is improving. I tried a blender once, then under dosed the second. On the third, using the Paradise Fijian, I did a classic hand extraction for 8 minutes with a paint strainer, warm tap and no fat. Then I did a final squeeze through a Fijian, knowing I'd reduce potency, but minimize gastric upset. Two shells each and we're both in a similar zone to where we were after two shells of Melo Melo at BKH in Portland.

Moving out of the steepest part of the learning curve! :happy:

Roaddog

Kava Who?
Well, your coming along nicely. I'm like 5 months with Kava. I still learn from it. I'm learning from it tonight. Anyway, hope you and the Mrs. eyemgh, have a great kava night. Much love. Roaddog...

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
First, unless the second 12 hours bring a major difference, both BKH Boroguru and Paradise Fijian, are pretty pure. Both are a 2 on Deleted User's scale, tending towards a subtle green. That's to my eye and my wife's, independent of my score. Both of us have lab experience. Basically our retinas are now colorimeters. :smuggrin: Uhhh...well not so much. The monitor has not been calibrated either. Suffice it to say, there's no red contamination in either.

Next, my extraction method is improving. I tried a blender once, then under dosed the second. On the third, using the Paradise Fijian, I did a classic hand extraction for 8 minutes with a paint strainer, warm tap and no fat. Then I did a final squeeze through a Fijian, knowing I'd reduce potency, but minimize gastric upset. Two shells each and we're both in a similar zone to where we were after two shells of Melo Melo at BKH in Portland.

Moving out of the steepest part of the learning curve! :happy:
Do you have any pics for us by any chance??

eyemgh

Kava Curious
Refined the technique once again tonight. Instead of a single paint strainer followed by Fijian at the end, I used two paint strainers in combination. It's cooling as I type. I'm looking for that nice middle ground of maximizing potency while still not having GI upset. Fingers crossed!

Roaddog

Kava Who?
Nice results, on your test.
Refined the technique once again tonight. Instead of a single paint strainer followed by Fijian at the end, I used two paint strainers in combination. It's cooling as I type. I'm looking for that nice middle ground of maximizing potency while still not having GI upset. Fingers crossed!
Kava will show you the way. It will not be long till it becomes almost a ritual. At least it has that effect on me. I even spit a little in the sink, for the kava gods. Well, not really, but it sounded good. Much love. Roaddog....

eyemgh

Kava Curious
I was kneading away this afternoon and noticed an avocado out of the corner of my eye. They are very fatty and we have a blender. Kavacado anyone? :ROFLMAO: