What's new

90 micron koniak lol

StinkWeed

Kava Enthusiast
Today I decided to sift through some koniak root powder, and came out with this, hoping it goes down smooth :)

Edit: Thats about as smooth as anything I've tried so far. Very, very happy. I'm just gonna save up the leftovers of future sifts and use them for sharing big bowls with buddies, or for when I'm low.

Last edited:

Roaddog

Kava Who?
Very nice. Do you feel it is similar to micro? Does the unsifted Kava become less potent? Much love. Roaddog....

StinkWeed

Kava Enthusiast
I feel its pretty much identical to micro, but I haven't tried too many varieties of micro. I can't comment on the unsifted stuff, but I can't imagine it being less potent than just a more coarsely ground kava.

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
I'm a little slow, are you using the bubble bag to filter kava for toss 'n wash?? If so what are you doing with the stuff that doesn't make it through the filter?

StinkWeed

Kava Enthusiast
I'm a little slow, are you using the bubble bag to filter kava for toss 'n wash?? If so what are you doing with the stuff that doesn't make it through the filter?
Yes. That's exactly what I'm doing. The stuff that doesn't make it through (which is a LOT) is getting thrown into another bag, to be prepared traditionally on another occasion. This is much easier than the intended material for these bags... Kava powder doesn't stick to everything

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
Yes. That's exactly what I'm doing. The stuff that doesn't make it through (which is a LOT) is getting thrown into another bag, to be prepared traditionally on another occasion. This is much easier than the intended material for these bags... Kava powder doesn't stick to everything
Have you ever tried a 50 micron bubble bag??

StinkWeed

Kava Enthusiast
Ive tried 160 120 and 90, nothing below that. For the sake of knowledge however I'll give it a shot, any particular reason you ask?

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
Ive tried 160 120 and 90, nothing below that. For the sake of knowledge however I'll give it a shot, any particular reason you ask?
Yes, I believe it was @noukey (or whatever he calls himself now), used a 50 micron bubble bag to help make micro smoother tasting. So I guess I'm wondering, if your filtered toss 'n wash is pretty gritty tasting???

StinkWeed

Kava Enthusiast
I thought it was pretty smooth, I'm sure the 50 is smoother though, but mixed up it just feels like a smooth liquid, even at the end if it's mixed up well.

ApéroNoble

The d'Artagnan forum 4th Kavateer
no I started with the 25 micron and at 45 micron now. SW, so you felt like anything above 90 microns let in makas?

StinkWeed

Kava Enthusiast
I felt like the 160 took most out, but let a visible amount through. 120 let in a few little slivers, but very minimally, even after shaking the hell out of the bag. 90 is where no matter how much shaking I did the little slivers didn't seem to make it through.

Edit: I only checked for makas just using a bright light, spreading the sifted material thinly upon a white background and a magnifying glass, but it seemed to be an accurate enough check. My eyesight is pretty good, last time I checked it was 20/15 in my right and 20/10 in my left, so I feel comfortable saying I couldn't have missed much.

ApéroNoble

the 25 micron is the best if you wish to strain micro kava and this is what I used for that. The 45 micron is best to strain root powder. I have all the sizes so I am going to try sifting with 90

StinkWeed

Kava Enthusiast
I'll also give the 45 a shot. Honestly I don't think I'll do it regularly though, my gut holds up to kava pretty well, do you notice a difference between the 25/45? Is it for preventing GI upset? Or a more pleasant, silkier texture to the grog?

ApéroNoble

I'll also give the 45 a shot. Honestly I don't think I'll do it regularly though, my gut holds up to kava pretty well, do you notice a difference between the 25/45? Is it for preventing GI upset? Or a more pleasant, silkier texture to the grog?
when you say you'll not do it regularly do mean sifting? I don't use 25 at all anymore because I drink the micro kava straight but it does help for those that can't tolerate it that way. There is not much difference between 25&45 imo regarding straining root powder. 45 lets in all the good stuff and makes very smooth kava. I have not tried sifting with the bubble bags only strain and knead

StinkWeed

Kava Enthusiast
Ah thank you that answered my question perfectly :) yes that's exactly what I meant, I won't regularly sift at below 90, and even then I'll probably stick to something like 120, just because it let's a little more through, and my stomach tolerates root material fairly well.

D

Deleted User01

Here I go showing my ignorance again but what is a "bubble bag". Can someone post a picture of it. I see the bubble bags that are used for shipping. I see another one that is used for washing? Just not sure what to make of all that.

That does look like some nicely filtered kava though.