What's new

Micronized Kava Review 11 Year Waka

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
*Updated... I do find this a bit heady at first but get massive sedation from it after.

I've reviewed a few micronized kavas recently as I'm just getting going with them and this one is nice. I mixed 1 heaped tablespoon with a cup of half milk and half water then shook for a while to get a good mix. One thing I would say about the powder itself is that although it is very finely ground there are some very hard lumps of powder in the bag that I will really have to try hard to break down. I'm sure this is normal and won't be a problem but I was surprised to find them.

The powder mixes really well to give a smooth tan coloured liquid and the first thing that you notice is the super mild taste. I'm a bit odd in that I love a peppery Vanuatu and can drink even the most bitter kava without flinching but this Fijian kava goes down and I barely notice. The other huge point to mention is that I experienced almost no nausea or stomach upset with this kava at all. Over the course of 2 hours I chugged 3 shells of 1 tablespoon each and I had no problems getting it down at all. Nausea and stomach upset often get confused as I think of nausea as the immediate urge to be sick whether you follow through or not whereas stomach upset is just that, a milder form of nausea. I got none of that with this kava and I could eat afterwards with no problem.

I would say that 1 tablespoon wasn't enough for me. I read on the package 1 to 2 tablespoons and opted for 1 because I had heard how strong it is but I could definitely have gone stronger with a 2 shell session which is my norm somewhere between 1 and 2 tablespoons per shell. Time needed to work out the optimum dose.

The effects are very much a creeping sensation. I didn't experience much in the way of euphoria but rather a creeping relaxation mostly in the mind. There is perhaps a mild body relaxation and sedation but these effects take a while to show themselves. After the second shell I was considering switching to something heavier so I didn't lay awake for an hour or two before I got to sleep but I did start feeling a light sedation and so went for the third shell.

To sum this up quickly I had a really good, relaxing evening and I can't wait to try this kava again at a slightly higher dose. This reminds me of the Quick Kava Powder from Vanuatu Kava Store except not so heavy. It's strong in that you need to be careful with it but it's effective for the effects that we all love. I was surprised not to get more euphoria from it but the effects I did get were so pleasant I will definitely be ordering this again as one for the cupboard.

One more thing to mention is the anti anxiety effect, I definitely felt calm, relaxed and in a good place.

For comparison while I am here out of the micros I have had I would say this is actually like a cross between Pouni Ono and Borogu in that you get the headiness from the pouni and some of the sedation and heaviness from the borogu. This is without doubt a really good quality kava and I would recommend it highly.

Last edited:

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
One thing I forgot is that I seemed to get quite prominent mouth numbing which I don't get with all kavas anymore.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
I think it's smooth tasting too, but not 'that' smooth. :)
I've tried it again today, just before lunch (well anytime is kava time on a Sunday surely?) and it really is smooth. If you told me it was chocolate milk with a secret, special kind of chocolate I would probably believe you!

moff000

Kava Enthusiast
I've tried it again today, just before lunch (well anytime is kava time on a Sunday surely?) and it really is smooth. If you told me it was chocolate milk with a secret, special kind of chocolate I would probably believe you!
I really struggle to get this kava down the hatch, I normally use one heaped Tablespoon to around 300-350ml of water and it hits me like a train!
I don't let the taste put me off because the results i get from it are amazing!

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
I really struggle to get this kava down the hatch, I normally use one heaped Tablespoon to around 300-350ml of water and it hits me like a train!
Hmm... maybe I'm just being odd because I don't taste it that strongly at all at one and a half heaped tablespoons. Agreed on the effects though!

MCT

This is how I felt last night (my first time) it hit me like a truck with the first gulp. I can take down most liquids (including bad tequila) and this HURT. Still took 2 down though and was impressed with the effects :)