What's new

Micronized Kava Review 11 Year Waka

daltonsolo

Night Watchman
The 11 year waka feels like a fine treat for the upper class, something rich to indulge in at the close of a long day. The micronized powder allows for quick preparation, which I love as I am not fond of kneading when I want my kava. Within 10-15 minutes a serene calm washes over me and a grin stretches across my face. I settle into my favorite beanbag with a blanket, and read the Two Towers by candlelight. Something to note: the sensitivity to bright light is very pronounced, as well as something I have not noticed from other kavas - very heightened sensitivity to sounds. Sounds take on a sharper quality, for example, S' slice through the air into my ears, while C's crackle and clap. This is quite nice for listening to soft music, but can be a nuisance if loud conversation enters the room. I want everything calm as I enjoy this kava. It's probably best to consume this when you know you will have control over how loud/bright your setting will be.

As you can tell I quite like this kava, and I am becoming a lifelong fan of BKH. Keep up the good work Judd!

Last edited by a moderator:

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner
Possibly the coolest review I've seen. Love the description of specific sounds. Sensitivity to light and sound is something the people of Vanuatu have always been in tune with. Kava is only drank as, and after the sun has set. Nakamals are quiet places where people "listen to the kava" instead of chatting loudly as we do at traditional bars.

Interestingly, kava drinking in other island nations can be a very social experience, with much talk, singing, and clapping.

No matter how you choose to enjoy it, I'm happy this kava speaks to you personally.

Ceraton

Heavy Kava Drinker
I have to admit, this kava is quite powerful. After some minutes of me "breaking the ice with kava" I tend to feel its most beautiful pronounced effects. From my times of drinking 1/3 cup kava, I could feel a sweet serene feeling as it slowly crawls up my back like as if you would slowly pour cool water into a cup. Slightly more powerful than the Koniak, in my opinion. This kava is a great choice for those who really need something to relax from a very hectic day.

daltonsolo

Night Watchman
Possibly the coolest review I've seen. Love the description of specific sounds. Sensitivity to light and sound is something the people of Vanuatu have always been in tune with. Kava is only drank as, and after the sun has set. Nakamals are quiet places where people "listen to the kava" instead of chatting loudly as we do at traditional bars.

Interestingly, kava drinking in other island nations can be a very social experience, with much talk, singing, and clapping.

No matter how you choose to enjoy it, I'm happy this kava speaks to you personally.
Thanks! I felt like being more eloquent with this review, these were all thoughts I had during my last session. That's interesting about the more social aspect of kava. While I do really enjoy talking with others while drinking it I feel like too much noise would be an intrusion on my calmness, at least with the 11 year. Regardless, I'm looking forward to buying more of your stuff. How does the Nambawan compare to 11 year or say Boroguru in your opinion? I've heard great things

blindy107

Kava Lover
I think nambawan feels a little lighter. It's still pretty heady but the 11 year has the propensity to knock me off my feet. I've mentioned before, I actually had to pull over and let my wife take the wheel when I first tried the waka. Nambawan is a bit more social for me and I find it easier to maintain some semblance of normality. The waka just puts me in the ground usually...

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I love the way you described the auditory effects. That's exactly the same way I feel. If the TV is on after I drink kava it gets turned down at least 20 notches. God help me if the dog starts barking. Lil Jon would be proud. We've found a reason to turn down, finally answering the age old question "Turn down for what?"

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
@daltonsolo Awesome Review!! (y)
I'm surprised you rated it to be pretty bitter. I've thought mine to be pretty light and smooth tasting.
This would be my sole kava, because I like it so much. But too much gives me really bad dermo, so I have to use it in moderation. :(

daltonsolo

Night Watchman
@Kapmcrunk hahaha! The waka is definitely the answer to that question. That had me laughing out loud.
@HeadHodge I think you're right, it's definitely not the worst tasting kava but I'm kind of a baby when it comes to choking it down. I think I was still bitter about when my gag reflex caused me to spontaneously shoot out the huge mouthful of kava I had, such a sad thing to waste! Also, I think I'm noticing some dermopathy as well for the first time :( my back and neck have been SUPER dry, something I've never had before. I thought it might be from the dry cold weather in idaho but maybe it's from being lazy and doing the toss n wash all the time

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner
Thanks! I felt like being more eloquent with this review, these were all thoughts I had during my last session. That's interesting about the more social aspect of kava. While I do really enjoy talking with others while drinking it I feel like too much noise would be an intrusion on my calmness, at least with the 11 year. Regardless, I'm looking forward to buying more of your stuff. How does the Nambawan compare to 11 year or say Boroguru in your opinion? I've heard great things
That's a tough comparison. They're all quite different. Boroguru feels more muscularly relaxing to me. Nambawan, just a pleasant, potent, euphoric and heady kava. As Deleted User's HPLC results show, it's kavain concentration is crazy high.

blindy107

Kava Lover
Yeah for sure on that @Judd Rench the new boro is a muscle melter through and through! I find it tastes much better than previous batches as well. More of the "nutty" less of the "piney".

I find it odd that the nambawan kavain is so off the charts when I feel more of the "head rush", I usually attribute to kavain, from other roots. Nambawan seems to be more balanced to me despite it's chemotype. Similar to mahakea in some respects. Either way, it's divine...