What's new

New/beginner

Cody

Kava Curious
Hello everyone, new to this forum as well as kava but have been browsing for a week or so now. I have a few questions as far as starting out, oreperation, dose, etc. Any and all input is appreciated.

I, like someone else a few posts below min, first ordered Kona Kava Farm. I got a sampler pack (kava-soy lechtin caps, micron zed and 1/4 ld of root) which arrived yesterday. Before that, for about a week, I was taking the Gaia Kava Root capsules pretty much daily (trying to build kavalactones). The first day I tried it (probably 5-6 caps, with mitgyrana speciosa and a "lucid" smoking blend containing copious amounts of different herbs and flowers) I noticed a lightly profound wave of calm energy and clarity. Since then, the effects have been negligible aside from somewhat easing my moderate heart-racing anxiety.

I tried the Kona micron zed last night (maybe 8 tsp) and noticed the numbing and some calm, but mainly just gave me a strong desire to go to sleep. I'm aware that this may not have been the best brand/vendor to start with.

I read a few of the prep techniques on here but wanted to know what some people thought the easiest and most potent may be so I can try the root. Is blending really necessary (think my blender capped out today actually) or is it better to let it sit in the milk/water for a while to steep before straining? Also, assuming I don't feel much effect from several glasses, which may more than likely be the case, is there aNY kind of limit I should be weary of exceding?

Thanks and look forward to your responses!

D

Deleted User01

Welcome to the Forum @Cody. As for the Kona mixup, that's ancient history. I don't know if there is any limit but if you don't get results after 4 cups, I would stop and do it again the next day. Sometime people are slow to get results and this is called reverse tolerance. I'll let the other guys answer the questions on tradicional prep but I will say this, there was some study done that said that 113 degrees was the perfect temperature for kava kneading. Soaking may or may not be helpful but really aggressive kneading is very, very helpful. Just wring the f__k outta that strainer of kava.

Cody

Kava Curious
Thanks for the response! So put the root in a strainer, then pour the hot water into it over the cup/bowl or soak it with the strainer in the bowl and wring it like that? Also, 2-4 tsp is considered a regular dose for a cup?

D

Deleted User01

Hey @verticity, post that detail recipe of yours. My recipe is 3/4 cup of kava with 20 oz of water to make a 16oz lock cap bottle. Then 10 oz of liquid to do a "second wash". I usually mix coconut water with regular water to soften the taste.

Cody

Kava Curious
Also, I had noticed that the root is a pretty fine powder. I don't think a regular cooking strainer would work but it came with this white cloth bag, would that work for straining?

D

Deleted User01

These guys can tell you better than I. I use a Nylon Hop Bag that we use when we make beer. It's what I have in stock and it works good for me. But I rarely prepare kava that way, preferring to just put some micronized in a 4oz dixie cup and chugging. Less fuss.

Cody

Kava Curious
I appreciate the help. So I used the bag it came with (I'm assuming that's what it's for) and it turned a brownish color but there are some flakey-chunk looking things floating in it that I did not notice in the video posted in that thread. Is that normal and is it okay to drink?

EQ

Atman
I appreciate the help. So I used the bag it came with (I'm assuming that's what it's for) and it turned a brownish color but there are some flakey-chunk looking things floating in it that I did not notice in the video posted in that thread. Is that normal and is it okay to drink?
Sound gross. Pick it out.

verticity

I'm interested in things
I would check your filter bag for holes that could let large stuff through. The flakey things are indigestible fibrous material known as "makas" that can cause stomach problems. They should be filtered out.

Cody

Kava Curious
@EQ @verticity Hmmm. Dinner was almost ready and I honestly just went ahead and drank it. No hole in the bag but noticed nome of it came out in the second wash and the second wash actually looked like the video. I will probably go ahead and try some GHK next (it's expensive so will probably be my last go at kava if I don't notice much) but I noticed the Kona has an earthy smell. Except it partially smells like soil/dirt. Is that normal of kava? The micronized just smelt like cocoa so I can't really compare with that but the root had that bitter, strange taste, however also tasted like muddy dirt water a little bit:facepalm:

verticity

I'm interested in things
@EQ @verticity Hmmm. Dinner was almost ready and I honestly just went ahead and drank it. No hole in the bag but noticed nome of it came out in the second wash and the second wash actually looked like the video. I will probably go ahead and try some GHK next (it's expensive so will probably be my last go at kava if I don't notice much) but I noticed the Kona has an earthy smell. Except it partially smells like soil/dirt. Is that normal of kava? The micronized just smelt like cocoa so I can't really compare with that but the root had that bitter, strange taste, however also tasted like muddy dirt water a little bit:facepalm:
The "earthy", bitter, strange, muddy water taste is normal for kava actually. The smell and appearance are a bit like dirt also. (Most of us don't drink it for the taste, lol)

Cody

Kava Curious
The "earthy", bitter, strange, muddy water taste is normal for kava actually. The smell and appearance are a bit like dirt also. (Most of us don't drink it for the taste, lol)
Lol any recommendations on a vendor to try beside ghk? A starter pack with different strains would be preferable

EQ

Atman
Lol any recommendations on a vendor to try beside ghk? A starter pack with different strains would be preferable
GHK is premium stuff. Prepare right, drink right: you will be krunked.
Also props on going traditional method. (y)
I like Kalm With Kava, and they do have a starter/sample pack.
I can also recommend Squanch Kava as being really potent, and a top Fiji root on the online scene.

Get a good strainer bag.

" I will probably go ahead and try some GHK next (it's expensive so will probably be my last go at kava if I don't notice much)"

You won't notice much if you do it wrong.
Do it right.
1. Check the root. Notable Kavaforums Vendor?
2. Check the dose. 1-2.5 Oz root will set you good.
3. Drink on empty stomach
4. Chug don't sip.

"Thanks for the response! So put the root in a strainer, then pour the hot water into it over the cup/bowl or soak it with the strainer in the bowl and wring it like that? Also, 2-4 tsp is considered a regular dose for a cup?"

No one recipe. It depends how sludgey you want it to be. Like a creamy chocolate milk? Or slimy grit edging down your throat? The more water the more pleasant the taste vs. volume of liquid to consume.
Different medium grinds have different densities. Scale is a more consistent metric than a tablespoon.

Welcome Cody! We've got a couple sample options https://kalmwithkava.com/product-category/kava-sample-packs/
Be sure to use the KavaForums new member discount KFNEW10 for 10% off too!
Hmmmmmmm.
Should have waited on my order last night. I've only been here since November :whistle:

theGrogfather

Sipping on Waka juice. Laid back
" I will probably go ahead and try some GHK next (it's expensive so will probably be my last go at kava if I don't notice much)"
Quite expensive, especially with our Canadian dollar :dead: but it's on the rise! And Chris has put the Moi medium grind up for 15% off so that was enough convincing I needed to try out some GHK::happyshell::