What's new

New Zealand Police drinking kava

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor

Australia can't believe it's neighbors openly consume the known street drug; kava.
Side Effects; all of them. Street value; $1,000,000 AUD per gram.
Lol.. To be fair, kava is not entirely illegal in Australia. Its possession in certain quantities is illegal only in specific locations, plus one is allowed to bring 2kg by plane or boat. I guess that's why it is still used at all. If it was treated as a totally illegal drug, its black market cost would be so high that no one but some bored millionaires would bother with it (and even these millionaires would probably just fly to New Zealand or Vanuatu for afternoon kava sessions if they really missed kava). The poor would switch back to petrol sniffing or distilling methanol-poisoned moonshine.

Crunked

Proselytizer
I am hoping that the recently signed Trans Pacific Partnership may make it easier to get kava in Australia. My poorly informed opinion is that, generally speaking, an item that is freely available in the country of one of the signatories should also be available in the countries of the other signatories, otherwise it amounts to a trade barrier. But I may be wrong. ::rootedgrin::

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
I am hoping that the recently signed Trans Pacific Partnership may make it easier to get kava in Australia. My poorly informed opinion is that, generally speaking, an item that is freely available in the country of one of the signatories should also be available in the countries of the other signatories, otherwise it amounts to a trade barrier. But I may be wrong. ::rootedgrin::
These rules do not generally apply to drugs and other items that may be subject to regulation due to "health and safety concerns". But it's a tricky one. It's not like any country can just declare a given item "dangerous" or "a narcotic". The problem is that one has to have quite a bit of money to clarify this in court.
It's the same with the EU. According the the EU principles (in my humble opinion), kava should be legal and any country seeking to ban it should have sound evidence pointing to some very likely dangers that might be caused by it. Yet, in order to force member states to change their domestic regulation, one has to not only prove his business interests are negatively affected, but also pay massive legal fees... :(

Status
Not open for further replies.