What's new

Stimulant exaggeration

EQ

Atman
Im sorry I caused offense.
There are numerous papers on tea drinking and coffee and mate and links with really hot water causing cancer.

Shit I just won't come back here then.
Goodbye.

verticity

I'm interested in things
There are numerous papers on tea drinking and coffee and mate and links with really hot water causing cancer.

Goodbye.
No offense taken here, bro. I had just never heard that before, and am therefore skeptical. I would be interested to see some of those references.

EQ

Atman
That's what I like to see! Science papers! That is very interesting. It sounds like the problem only happens if your beverage is hot enough to actually burn your esophagus, though.
I said 190 degrees in my first page post.
That is really hot man. In South America some people drink really hot. In some areas, I read, it is a male ego thing. Whoever drinks hotter water is better.

I felt throat irritation constantly when drinking 175 degrees and it has left and never returned once I dropped it to 160. 190 is crazy. Anything above 180 is crazy.

Sorry if I wasn't clear.

Average coffee or tea temps as commonly enjoyed in North America should not cause you cancer.

Excessively hot which is more common in countries outside North America will damage you.

It is burning your throat

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
It is ignorant to assume that every one on the internet knows what they are talking about ;-)
LOL, thanks @Kapmcrunk I'm guessing... a judicious fix :) . Sorry, won't happen again...

Goodbye.
No, no, no, no, please, please stay... you're posts are always excessively interesting and you're turns of phrase are eminently quotable.

MikeB

I like Mo'i
OK, getting back to the OP here... YES, I have noticed this. I'm currently taking Adderall and I've definitely noticed that taking kava potentiates its effects a bit. I posted about this on the other forum, and I've seen some other anecdotes on the internet that discuss the same thing.

I don't think this effect is necessarily a bad thing, but it also seems to change the effects a bit. Honestly, I'm not a huge fan of the combination of the two. Today I tried 1 tsp Kava (1/3 my usual dose) and 3.75mg Adderall (1/2 my usual dose), and did that twice. The Adderall made me quite jittery, as usual, but the kava didn't quite take the edge off - instead it's like I felt this rush in my head, sort of head buzzing, etc. Not necessarily in a bad way - it's just that it didn't feel like a combination of "Adderall" and "Mo'i."

I've combined with caffeine before and haven't noticed this intense of an interaction, so it may be more related to amphetamine. I believe it's because Kava contains a mild MAO-B inhibitor, and those are known to interact with all manner of stuff. Something to keep in mind.

Ryanakamal

Kava Curious
same ^ allthough amphetamines/ritalin/dislexsomethingamphetamine kill all kava feeling and i did not notice any potentiation. but the "silence" does seem a bit different.

ElDudarino

Kava Curious
interesting, kava has never had a sedating effect on me and i assumed it was because of the fact that i drink heady kavas only. but i've taken kava together with caffeine and with pseudo, and in both cases it makes the experience more euphoric. so funny that you framed it as kava augmenting the stimulant experience. i think of as the stimulant augmenting the kava experience.

MikeB

I like Mo'i
@Ryanakamal - what is your usual dose of the stimulants? I have noticed, generally speaking, a bad interaction with kava and Adderall. Not like life-threatening bad, more like it just sucks.

Ryanakamal

Kava Curious
used to be 30 mg dexedrine daily nowadays with kava and finally growing up i guess 5-10 mg per i get (weird) 2-3 days?. and yes if i take them too late (5mg pills) and do kava it's not the same (kavawise) but when i stick to the usual 7-10 and at lunch i consider it sober.. as in at night and so.

Ryanakamal

Kava Curious
used to be 30 mg dexedrine daily nowadays with kava and finally growing up i guess 5-10 mg per i get (weird) 2-3 days?. and yes if i take them too late (5mg pills) and do kava it's not the same (kavawise) but when i stick to the usual 7-10 and at lunch i consider it sober.. as in at night and so.
few days without atleast 1 as an edit

Senoz

Kava Curious
I have noticed that when I drink kava after taking any sort of stimulant it makes the stimulant way more powerful and the kava doesn't really feel sedating anymore.
My personal experience is with caffeine and pseudoephedrine (i.e. sudafed, allegra-d) since I don't take any other stimulants.
Has anyone else noticed this effect? I think it may be a contributing factor if not the cause of kava keeping some people awake at night.
Hi @drbinxy , I am really strugging a lot with this, too. I'Ve been on benzos for over 15 years and have been withdrawing last year. Some 10 months into being off benzos, I was very very anxious and tried Kavam but my first experiences were disapointing because of the much-increased anxiety that set in shortly after the first calming effects of kava. I have quitted caffeine and cannot reaaaaallly find a major improvement: initially it helps to calm down a little, then after a while ( 1 or 1,5 hours ) it increases my anxiety and related urges and bodily-focused behaviours. This is even using a "heavy" variety such as KWK's "Borongoru"....

Thanks and regards,
S.

moff000

Kava Enthusiast
Theaninelife, are you a fan of guayusa? Its even smoother than yerba and I think has even more caffiene, with a good amount of theanine toi. I take it you must be a fan due to your name though haha.

To answer the op question yes u do notice it has an effect on just about anything. Might be dopamine antagonism?
Guayusa is now on my list to try!

KavaKitty

Meaow
I'm not a stimulant fan at all, but I love me some coffee. I drink kava in the morning (a heady variety, pretty light) and have a couple of cups of coffee after that, and I'm a pretty happy girl for the rest of the day. But coffe is not dexadrine by any stretch of the imagination.

ThePiper

Kava Lover
Yes thats true, but everyone's different. Joe might find ADHD meds to be cleaner than coffee with less side effects, even though john finds coffee dodsnt even keep him awake. And then bob might think they are both crazy to be using either one of those on a daily basis because they turn him into a jitterbug. Everyone is different. Me, I find coffee to be a much stronger stimulant than any other caffeine source, and in a big way. Coffee is one of the only stimulants I have used that gives me such mood swings at anything over a baby sized cup. Of course prescription stimulants would be worse, but not for everyone.no doubt there are people who would come to the forum and say "you drink kava in the morning?" How do you function without dragging ass?" Anyway what I meant to say is coffee may very well be too much for some kava drinkers.

Guayusa is a great plant too.

chandra

Kava Enthusiast
I think it is the hot water combined with metallic straws that was causing cases of cancer from Mate. At least from what I remember it's been awhile since I read about it.

drbinxy

Kava Curious
I'm gonna go ahead and bump this old thread I started with a warning. I hadn't drank kava in quite a while and actually forgot about it's effect when combined with stimulants. I drank kava after taking some nootropics about a week ago. I can't remember which, I think it was quite a bit, about a gram of oxiracetam and 300mg of phenylpiracetam. It was absolutely terrible. I had extreme anxiety, was so stimulated that my pupils were actually dilated and weren't reacting to light. Do not mix kava with stimulating nootropics. You have been warned. I think it has something to do with kava being a reversible MAO-B inhibitior. MAO-B inhibitors prevent the brain from breaking down dopamine. My brain flooded with dopamine.