What's new

Powdered Kava Review Pouni Ono

YogaNatureLvr

Kava Enthusiast
This is my fourth favorite-tasting kava behind GHK Nene, GHK Mahakea, and PK Premium Blend no. 7. Yet I would use Pouni Ono if I were to throw a kava party, because I think it's the most social of the four. Nene would put people to sleep, Premium Blend no. 7 would be physically relaxing and sedative, not really social, and Mahakea would be alert but calm and introspective. So for social occasions I'd go with Pouni Ono. It's also a really good deal and very potent.

I've tried the other two KWK kavas - Fijian Loka Waka and Boronguru. They are both excellent and well priced. Yet if I wanted a Borongoru kava, I would probably pick PK Premium Blend no. 7 (90% Boronguru, I believe) instead of the KWK Boronguru, as the effects of the two are similar but the no. 7 tastes better and is creamier (albeit almost twice the price). The Loka Waka to me is pretty similar in effect to the Pouni Ono (the Loka Waka is maybe a little more uplifting and a little less relaxing) but the differences in effect between the two aren't that great, and the Pouni Ono is much tastier.

As far as I know, Pouni Ono is the only True Kava certified Tongan kava. Otherwise, if you want certified noble kava, it will be either Vanuatan, Fijian or Hawaaian. There is a distinct difference in taste between this kava and the kavas from these three other regions.

I would love it if Cactus Kava or KWK could source a certified noble Samoan kava. I don't know of any on the market, and it would be fun to see if there are taste differences with Samoan kavas as well.

Anyway, if I were throwing a party, or even if I were going to a party where I might face some social anxiety, this would be my go-to kava. I would feel chatty and sociable and relaxed, without being tired or weird. Mixed with coconut water, this kava tastes almost like coffee. Almost. Anyway, in case you can't tell I'm under the influence of Pouni Ono as I write this, so I could go on all night....:censored:

Kalm with Kava

Kava Vendor
Yes, Unfortunately we have run out of Pouni Ono for the time being. We have another shipment from Tonga on the way but the shipping time is always unreliable :nailbiting:. We do have a stockpile left on Amazon as wormwood said and a few lbs of micronized available. If you order from Amazon, could you help us out by leaving a review on there? It would be much appreciated! Thanks!

YogaNatureLvr

Kava Enthusiast
Hi Mike, yes, I just ordered a pound of Pouni Ono from Amazon. Would you like me to cut and paste my review above into Amazon? I'd be happy to do so. It really is terrific kava! -Ron

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
That would be great if you would @YogaNatureLvr ! It's super hard to compete with the cheaper, mixed kavas on there so all reviews help!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
@Kalm with Kava do you end up receiving your same profit margin through amazon as apposed to directly through your website? If so, would you like us to make it a priority to suggest ordering though amazon and subsequently posting a review there?

Kalm with Kava

Kava Vendor
Good question Kapm! Actually we really don't make much if anything on Amazon, they're commission is criminal. But we like giving the option to Prime members for garunteed 2 day delivery and show people who only shop on Amazon that there is indeed a difference in quality for kava products. That being said, if it's easier for some to order through Amazon, by all means don't feel bad about it, just leave us a review if you would :)

YogaNatureLvr

Kava Enthusiast
@Kalm with Kava , Hi Mike, I left a review on Amazon. Do you have an ETA on when you'll have the Pouni Ono back in stock? I'd much rather order directly from your web site rather than Amazon if it's more profitable for you that way. ::kavaleaf::

YogaNatureLvr

Kava Enthusiast
@Kalm with Kava , I've found the Pouni Ono to be quite different in effect than any other kava I've tried. It is very social, euphoric, happy and uplifting. It's the only Tongan kava I've ever tried. I've read elsewhere that Tongan kavas may be more aphrodisiac as well.

Just curious as to whether in your experience, do Tongan kavas generally have different effects than kavas from other islands? I'm also curious how the native Tongans' preferences and use of the kavas may differ from others. Bula! ::tanoa::

Kalm with Kava

Kava Vendor
Great thoughts @YogaNatureLvr! Couldn't have said it any better myself. Most Tongan kavas do have that "tong" that sets them apart being very social and uplifting as well as somewhat stimulating in the aphrodisiac department. The chemotypes most closely resemble really good Fijian kavas but there is definitely something else going on we don't exactly know how to measure yet. I have hypothesized it is due to the higher methysticin content of these varieties but we haven't been able to find anything definitive. One other noticeable effect for myself and some others is the contentment and socialability lasting well into the next day.

Typically the native Tongan kava sessions last many hours (probably due to the uplifting and energizing qualities). A couple of Tongan guys I know often comment about staying up until 3 or 4 o'clock in the morning during a kava session (faikava). There are also parts of Tonga that hold a kava circle before church services every Sunday.

YogaNatureLvr

Kava Enthusiast
Hi @Kalm with Kava , it's funny you mention methysticin, because it turns out that my three favorite kavas are all relatively high in methysticin. I use them all for different purposes (Nene for sleep, Mahakea for mental clarity and calmness, and Pouni Ono for sociability) but for each one of them, methysticin is 16-17% of the total kavalactone content. So I've learned that 246xxx or 426xxx work best for me.

I tend not to like Fijians quite as much because they can make me a little edgy at times, which I hypothesize is the high yangonin. I usually like low yangonin (less than 13-14% of the total kavalactones). Fijian kavas tend to be higher than that. GHK Nene is really low in yangonin at under 11%, which is why I suspect it puts me to sleep so easily. :ROFLMAO:

YogaNatureLvr

Kava Enthusiast
Thanks, @Kalm with Kava . Is this the same Tongan as before or is it a different varietal? I stocked up on the Pouni Ono a few weeks ago before you ran out of it on Amazon. Between my fiancee and I, we bought 4 lbs to stash away!

Kalm with Kava

Kava Vendor
We are still on the close replacement. Not as Heady initially but building and not as tiring towards the end. They are both from Vava'u and actually cousins that have farms on different locations on the island. One happened to be able to step in while the other got their shipping issues taken care of. This is a great kava but the original is still my favorite it is supposedly arriving this month. Island time arrrggghhh.