What's new

Going to try it tomorrow!

KavaDawg

Kava Curious
I have yet to try kava, but ordered a 1/2 pound of 'Borongoru Vanuatu Kava Root Powder(Noble)' from the vendor/seller/company or whatever called 'Kalm with Kava'

I am trying kava because I have mild anxiety and sort of feel stress quite easily. Then I ran into kava when looking into anxiety relief online.

Is 'Kalm with Kava' a good producer to buy Kava Root from, like quality wise? I ended up buying it because I saw some reviews on this forum about Borongoru Vanuatu Kava Root from Kalm with Kava and everyone was giving it some positive reviews.

Also, one more question. What kind of strainer should I use? Are you supposed to use a specific strainer that is specifically used in making kava drink, or can you use just a normal strainer, or a coffee strainer thing or whatever. What should I use to do the straining portion of the preparation of the root?

Also, what would you describe some of the effects of kava after taking it? Also, does kava work and give the effects your first time trying it. Or does it take like 2 or 3 times before you get effects from it, like relaxation, stress relief and stuff. Because I was reading online and ran into some forum things (not from this forum) and some people were saying it could take a couple of times or something so I'm a bit confused, do you get effects the first time or not?

Also I will post a review of this kava root that I bought after I try it!

Last edited:

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Yes, Kalm with Kava is good.

You need to use a strainer with a fairly fine weave. Some vendors sell Fijian kava strainers, which are my personal favorite, or you can use various household items like nylon stockings.

Do you get effects the first time is a tough question. It depends on preparation, on dose, on a lot of things. Some people find that it takes a while to figure it out. 1/2 lb of kava might not be enough to get through this process.

KavaDawg

Kava Curious
Hmm... Yeah I'll just use check household/buy items from the store to use as an alternative to a kava strainer. I am going to be getting this Kava tomorrow, and I want to try it right away, so I don't want to wait another day or few days for a strainer to come in. I will probably buy a strainer within the week though when I finish this 1/2 of kava. Hopefully I can figure out the amount I need each use without going through the whole 1/2 pound of kava powder.

avahZ

YAHWEH Shalom
I have been using kava for few months and what you are talking about is "reverse tolerance". Some would say its like some prescriptions that you need to take for awhile before you get the full effects. I can see that as possibility. I personally didn't have RT. BUT, as I use kava i have noted a few new effects that have a bit of a euphoric feel to it. It does appear kava can evolve in it's effects as you use it (some of this is caused by the makeup of the 6 active ingredients found in different cultivars of kava). There are different terms used here and if you look at the top of the page there is a link called The kavapedia and it is very helpful when dealing with these new terms.

KavaDawg

Kava Curious
Well I just made 3 heaping tablespoons of kava and 3 cups of water, 2 1/2 cups of it made it out through the dish washer cloth strainer thing I used. Kava honestly doesn't really taste bad, it doesn't taste good but it isn't much to complain about. Also, I can feel the effects already I think, I'm wondering if it's placebo, but I highly doubt it I feel great. I'm not sure if kava is supposed to effect quickly or not, but I already feel it I think. I drank my first cup about 10 minutes ago. I'm going to drink the next one right about now. So far my first experience is going great.. Haha, I didn't post this yet and drank my second cup of kava. So I have 1/2 of a cup left. Should I drink it or just wait 30 minutes.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
You made it really thin. That's not a bad thing, but 3 cups for me would be the amount for 8-12 tablespoons of coarse ground. I rather get the drinking over with.

avahZ

YAHWEH Shalom
Sounds like your off to a good start! It can take me from 10 minutes to an hour to get effects. And kids can kill it in a heartbeat..... I would space the cups out for about 20-30 minutes. You can hit yourself hard until you know your limits.

avahZ

YAHWEH Shalom
You will find different kava taste different. I sorta enjoy the bitter taste of Hawaiian kavas, but the Vanuatu kavas taste like dirt mixed with mud and a little more dirt to top it off. I chug the dirt kavas, but the effects are nice.

KavaDawg

Kava Curious
I guess to me dirt mixed mud doesn't taste bad. I keep finding myself smiling, and in a really uplifted mood right now. Next time I won't make it so course, it's just that the instructions on the back said 1 tablespoon of kava per cup of water. I just did 1 heaping tablespoon per cup of water instead. Next time I will do 1 heaping tablespoon per 1/2 cup of water. It's working that's for sure. Also my lower back and neck were hurting earlier, now they feel a lot better it's a good muscle relaxer. I finished all of my kava, I spaced the first and second one out by 10 minutes, then the last 1/2 cup left by another 10 or 15 minutes. The next kava strain I want to try is Mo'i because I hear it is known for being more awaking or something. This one I have I read is kind of known to be in between I've been reading. This is really calming glad I ran into kava while looking for stress relievers online.

KavaDawg

Kava Curious
Just wondering. How many tablespoons or 'heaping table spoons' of kava root powder do you use each time you make kava?

avahZ

YAHWEH Shalom
If I need something light and easy for a stressful day, 1 heaping teaspoon. For my morning Moi about 1 level. For my pan fried Friday's 3 heaping tablespoons. Some hardheads like @shakas need just over a homedepo bucket full just to get started...

Edit: mind you these are micronized kavas when I measure by the teaspoon. Traditional or vitamix prep for the pan fried Friday kavas. Mmmmm pan fried bacon...

KavaDawg

Kava Curious
Oh alright thanks. Saying that I'm new to kava I may use more at the start because of the reverse tolerence effect it has. I may instead use 2 heaping tablespoons tomorrow morning of 3 heaping tablespoons like I did tonight.

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner
Welcome to kava and the forum @KavaDawg. I'm a little late into the thread, it looks like you're already on the right track. @Kalm with Kava has a great product in that Borogoru (that's coming from a competitor). Good choice.

As for the strainer, we sell Fijian style strainer bags that have the perfect mesh size, plus they have cool designs. They're hand made by one of our kava bar employees. That being said, a women's nylon works okay, as does a doubled up cheese cloth, or a thin dress sock.

As for reverse tolerance, some people feel it, others don't. You seem like the latter. Good news! You'll save some money. Even so, you didn't go for a very big root to water ratio. Some people get the effects they're looking for with small amounts of kava, but most use a pretty hefty amount of root. We suggest one part kava to 3-4 parts water, volume-wise, and to prepare about 16 oz.

If you ever have any questions the forum is great, but also feel free to message me personally, especially if it's about any of our products. Though I'm happy to lend my knowledge to assist with any general kava information.

kilakila

Kava keeps me going.
I guess to me dirt mixed mud doesn't taste bad. I keep finding myself smiling, and in a really uplifted mood right now. Next time I won't make it so course, it's just that the instructions on the back said 1 tablespoon of kava per cup of water. I just did 1 heaping tablespoon per cup of water instead. Next time I will do 1 heaping tablespoon per 1/2 cup of water. It's working that's for sure. Also my lower back and neck were hurting earlier, now they feel a lot better it's a good muscle relaxer. I finished all of my kava, I spaced the first and second one out by 10 minutes, then the last 1/2 cup left by another 10 or 15 minutes. The next kava strain I want to try is Mo'i because I hear it is known for being more awaking or something. This one I have I read is kind of known to be in between I've been reading. This is really calming glad I ran into kava while looking for stress relievers online.
Dang - you got lucky with the effects! I think I broke through RT on my plane journey home from the UK. Been chugging on a regular basis for about 1month. I was laying there on air new Zealand's bed in the sky - just finished up a blender bottle of micro moi and felt like I was literally flying! Realized I was singing along to Jack Johnson on my headphones. Now I'm home with horrible jet lag and feeling like crap and my drink of choice isn't working.

Like you, struggling with anxiety, tapering off benzos, and tense muscles so I'm hoping my kava krunkiness returns so I can enjoy the holiday weekend

Oh yea, just mixed the micro moi with Hawaiian pog and I'm not loving it - I really do enjoy the taste of kava just as it is.

KavaDawg

Kava Curious
Dang - you got lucky with the effects! I think I broke through RT on my plane journey home from the UK. Been chugging on a regular basis for about 1month. I was laying there on air new Zealand's bed in the sky - just finished up a blender bottle of micro moi and felt like I was literally flying! Realized I was singing along to Jack Johnson on my headphones. Now I'm home with horrible jet lag and feeling like crap and my drink of choice isn't working.

Like you, struggling with anxiety, tapering off benzos, and tense muscles so I'm hoping my kava krunkiness returns so I can enjoy the holiday weekend

Oh yea, just mixed the micro moi with Hawaiian pog and I'm not loving it - I really do enjoy the taste of kava just as it is.
Wow! I got the effects my first time, I actually just tried it again today, twice. Once in the morning, then again like 3-4 hours past noon. The first time that day, I felt the effects and they were very helpful, I noticed I felt extremely calm, stress free, and talked/dealt with people in a very good/calm way. I would also just smile at times haha. Second time I drank it that day the effects hit me hard, I was for once myself, anxiety free completely, had some mild euphoria, super sociable to everybody, happy, cracking quick smiles to myself for no reason at times. The reverse tolerance thing seems to be very true, that was the third time I ever drank kava and it was stronger than the first and second time combined, even though I drank less kava than my very first time drinking it. Wow, I'm just loving it. Oh yeah, I drink it on an empty stomach, then about 30 minutes to an hour in I eat something and it penitents the effects, it's quite nice. But after a while from the second time I got tired, though randomly stopped being tired about just an hour ago and am awake feeling again. Kavas great, happy I found it!