What's new

The Truth About Kava and Hangovers

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
If I overdo it (drink for 4-6 hours or more) I always feel sluggish the next day, but not sick. I have found, when working, if I have to discuss or negotiate things in detail with people when I have this kind of 'hangover', it is hard work and I tend to keep quiet if possible. But by contrast, if I am trying to write a technical report, or undertake a task that doesn't need any kind of confrontation, it actually focuses my mind by blocking out most of the usual random mental chatter and really helps. So, if I know I'm just going to be writing the next day, there's no holding back on that sweet second bowl..

D

Deleted User01

I have noticed this. If I do too much kava on day 1, I feel nice and mellow the next day. If I follow up with too much kava on day 2, then the mellowness is replaced with sluggishness. Of course coffee makes it go away. So now I always make sure that day 2 is just a maintenance dose to insure a good nights sleep. But everyone's system is different, this is just what I have noticed as of late.
@Gourmet Hawaiian Kava or anyone else out there. What were the drinking habits of the Islanders. How much did they drink and how often? I know the Fijians like to drink lots of weak kava but how about the other Islanders? I would love to see a study done by age of person as well.

Skywalker

Kava Enthusiast
I must be an exception to the rule because the next day effects for me are so bad I can only drink about 2 nights a week now. any amount of kava makes me sleep terribly, I toss and turn all night. And I feel like my skin is aching and I’m incredibly lethargic all day.
I’ve tried all GHK, and all other brands too. Kava puts me in rough shape. Of particular note is my involuntary runny nose, sneezing and gag reflex after drinking kava.

Why do I do this again? Oh right, the feeling is super good and mellow. But man do I have to work for it.

D

Deleted User01

@Skywalker, it almost seems like you have an allergy. I've been cutting back on my daily doses and finding out it works good for me. Maybe I splurge on the weekend. How much are you doing on your Kava days?

Bula man!

Kava Curious
I must be an exception to the rule because the next day effects for me are so bad I can only drink about 2 nights a week now. any amount of kava makes me sleep terribly, I toss and turn all night. And I feel like my skin is aching and I’m incredibly lethargic all day.
I’ve tried all GHK, and all other brands too. Kava puts me in rough shape. Of particular note is my involuntary runny nose, sneezing and gag reflex after drinking kava.

Why do I do this again? Oh right, the feeling is super good and mellow. But man do I have to work for it.

I have a similar situation. I must be very sensitive to kava because I'm guaranteed a hangover if I go over 4 tablespoons(and I typically do around 6-8). I really do enjoy the experience but only if I know the next day's schedule is very light. I also have experienced achyness the next day but this is less frequents. Although the sleepiness is not always fun the next day, it's understandable for an herb that has a half life of 9 hours. There's no doubt that the kava is still kicking in some form in the morning!

D

Deleted User01

For me, I have 2 rules for avoiding kava hangovers. Number one, drink it earlier. Number two, just do less. If the half life is 9 hours and you do your "bulaing" from 10pm-12, then you will wake up still "bulaed".