What's new

use a coffee grinder?

Bubba Bula

krunkadelic relic
Is it possible to put some medium grind into a coffee grinder and turn it into an "instant" kava? Would the coffee grinder do a good enough job?

Piper Methysticum

Let Kava Take The Wheel
I believe this subject has arisen before and apparently there can be other things in the kava that you don't want to consume. I can't recall the actual name but there are what look like pieces of wood, that have zero kavalactone content, that are often included with the typical bag of root powder. I encounter these quite often. So to "toss n wash" or just micronize the root as is without removing these other things probably isn't a good idea.

Blippy5

Certified Noble
It might... But the real problem is that your just grinding up the makas, and consuming them anyway.

Bubba Bula

krunkadelic relic
I see. Glad I asked. Guess I'll just continue with the traditional prep.

Are makas basically wood chips and other debris that you don't want to consume?

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Instant kava is different from ground powdered root. It's traditionally prepared kava that is then dehydrated with Top Secret Methods.

There are coarse fibers and compounds in the kava root that can cause digestive upset and other problems.

Bubba Bula

krunkadelic relic
Here is a pic of the makas from the batch I just made. I think it's basically wood fibers.
Thanks @Blippy5 for the info. That looks like the stuff I pour down the drain after I'm done.
So you just made a batch. I'm drinking a batch. How many others reading this are enjoying a fresh squeezed kava drink? Isn't kava great? :happy:

Blippy5

Certified Noble
It's crazy! I can't believe everyone doesn't know about this. Besides the fact it tastes gross

Piper Methysticum

Let Kava Take The Wheel
If you chomp down on one of those wood pieces by itself, you'll get the idea of what could have wound up in yer intestines. Not a pleasant thought :arghh: Best to just leave the micro to the pros.(y)

verticity

I'm interested in things
Every now and then in a bag of GHK medium grind, you may find a big wood-chip looking thing (like the diameter of a pencil). It's like.. a piece of wood (it's kind of like finding a green potato chip). Really tough and fibrous. I think the makas do have kavalactones in them, but you don't want them in your digestive tract. The kneading process probably extracts some of the KLs from the makas.

Piper Methysticum

Let Kava Take The Wheel
I think the makas do have kavalactones in them, but you don't want them in your digestive tract.
You are right I stand corrected. A smaller amount but these lactones and other substances in the wood are to be avoided.

August West

Kava Enthusiast
For the sake of science, I tossed and washed an insane amount of dried out spent root fibers that I saved up. The end result was very little effects. Lots of bubble-guts, though. In the past, I have been known to grind a batch of medium grind down a little further before kneading. Now I don't.

TidyMinion

Kava Padawan
Is it possible to put some medium grind into a coffee grinder and turn it into an "instant" kava? Would the coffee grinder do a good enough job?
I've gotten some really chunky large grind kava before, unexpected, then put that in my coffee grinder and it works great for that. I'll occasionally put medium grind on espresso setting for a potent batch of kava. There are consequences to doing that as it leaves much less sediment in the bag and a nice sludge in the bottom of the container which can be shaken up or add more water to dilute. My skin issues act up as a result, however. Not too bad but not comfortable either. Just keep that in mind.